Pushed off road by a lorry on way home

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Had an off on the commute home, first one since 2004.

An articulated tipper lorry came past me on St Mary's Lane in Upminster (link below), I was travelling at about 20mph when it came alongside...and then pulled in to the curb before it was past me. I naturally hit the brakes and hoped to pull back out of the narrowing gap but it was too close, it was about to hit me. I decided to try and bunny hop onto the curb but because I was already less than 30cm from the edge I didn't have enough of an angle to pull it off, I mounted the pavement and rolled onto the grass.

The tipper lorry's brake lights came on and he slowed, then he just carried on. The back was too dirty to get the name (although I think it began with a W and is a local company, sure I've seen them before) or the registration.

2 or 3 cars just drove on past me (thanks a bunch), but the two after that both stopped and asked if I was OK, even though they held up the traffic to do so, thank you so much for that. They both saw what happened and the conversation started OMG are you all right I can't believe he done that. Neither managed to get the reg number.

I had a soft landing because of the grass, I have a bloodied knee, a hole in my lycra shorts...and the rest is just grass stains and gravel marks. The bike is fine apart from some deep scratches to the rear rack and I lost a bar end cap.

I felt quite vulnerable for the 10 miles or so I had left of the commute, a couple of glasses of wine tonight should sort me out. Keep thinking how nasty it could have been though.

This is where it happened:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 59.12,,0,5

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Not good! Glad you are largely ok.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Feeling the force of a lorry and having to take evasive action like that must have really shaken you up. :( Glad you're ok though fella.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Feeling the force of a lorry and having to take evasive action like that must have really shaken you up. :( Glad you're ok though fella.

+1
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    glad you're ok e-c, and your bike of course

hmmm don't think this is going to help enourage your missus to cycle in is it? normally following any "incidents" my wife lectures me on the dangers of cycling in London and my responsibilities

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:
    +2 :shock:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    :shock:

Good to hear you've more or less survived.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    whoa... glad you got out of that ok
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Peter88
    Peter88 Posts: 50
    notsoblue wrote:

+3
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    notsoblue wrote:

+4
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    notsoblue wrote:

I'll give a thoroughly original
    +5

Glad you're in one piece
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Glad your ok. Nasty one .

Made me chuckle at the Cycle Show where they had a tipper to show where the blind spots are to a driver.

Police officer was a little stumped when I stated to him yes it is ok enlightening the cyclist to the dangers but 99.9% of these tippers are driven by brain dead knuckle scrapers who need to educating in the dangers of their actions when driving. They need to try and get in their head what a deadly machine they are using.
  • Attica wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I'll give a thoroughly original
    +5

Glad you're in one piece

+1 = +16

Which am sure all others are thinking. How's the feeling post wine and slept on it.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    shudders
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • The wine helped but it does with everything doesn't it?

Still think how bad it could have been, was still a bit wary on the way in but it was dark and funnily enough I do feel safer then. I'm sure on the way home I will be concerned on that part of the journey but there is no more that I can do to make myself seen, and there is not a better position on that road that I can ride on...I was doing everything right. I'll just accept that it happened and move on.

Thanks for the replies.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I've experienced something similar. Scary stuff.