Do dogs eat broccoli?

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I can confirm that; yes, they do.

Wilma is now permanently under jnrs high chair awaiting the dropped bounty.....

So far she has eaten:

Apricot
Peppers
Banana
Carrot
Broccoli
Cabbage
Potato

All manner of fruit and veg has been scoffed by the black and white fuzzball without encouragement.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My mates labrador is now on rice and supplements for the rest of this life; having spend his early years enjoying stealing and eating butter and cheese at every opportunity anything righer than rice makes him sick.

Labs will eat anything, and they won't stop...
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    just make sure she doesnt eat any grapes, raisins or chocolate. (all can be lethal).

Our spaniel has a carrot every morning after breakfast to help keep her teeth clean and add fibre. She jumps around until she gets it and if one of us in the shower when she has it she will try and con a second out of us.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    my dog, Boris will eat pretty much anything, he even helps clean up after himself sometimes
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Andy! wrote:
    just make sure she doesnt eat any grapes, raisins or chocolate. (all can be lethal).

Our spaniel has a carrot every morning after breakfast to help keep her teeth clean and add fibre. She jumps around until she gets it and if one of us in the shower when she has it she will try and con a second out of us.

i know the chocolate one but since when are grapes and raisins lethal and why?

edit: well I never, so my parents 1st goldie who lived to 16 bucked the trend, she fecking loved grapes and consumed all the time.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals ... ing/common
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My two eat abolutely anything with the exception of Encona chilli sauce as long as it's presented as leftovers. They are the primary dishwashing service so that when plates go into the machine they are already squeaky.

All meals consumed in this house incur a 10% dog tax. Both dogs over 12 years old, neither has seen a vet for anything other than a vaccination, and they cost £8 a month in industrial dog biscuits between them.

Viva leftovers!

(sheepdog staff hybrids btw)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Asprilla wrote:
    My mates labrador is now on rice and supplements for the rest of this life; having spend his early years enjoying stealing and eating butter and cheese at every opportunity anything righer than rice makes him sick.

Which is why you see so many overweight Labs. They ain't too bright bless'em
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • You fed your dog broccoli and cabbage? You're brave - does it sleep outside?
  • Dogs really aren't meant to eat people food. It's bad for them, unless it's simple meat'n'veg without sauces etc.

Some are pickier than others, our border collie (very smart) will eat most veg, as will the great dane (very stupid), but the doberman and the german shepherd are more discerning!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm looking after a West Highand Terrier at the moment, he eats cooked veg but not too keen on raw broccoli or cabbage etc. He's a bit more thoughtful about what he eats too, if you throw him something, he waits for it to hit the ground before investigating and then eating if suitable. We had a couple of mongrels when I was gowing up and if yuo threw something they suspected was food in their direction, they would catch it and chew it and ask questions later...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Andy!
    Andy! wrote:

edit: well I never, so my parents 1st goldie who lived to 16 bucked the trend, she fecking loved grapes and consumed all the time.

There will always be dogs that can tolerate chocolate and/or grapes etc - but do you want to risk finding out?

I know of dogs that have been lucky to survive after being in intensive care from a cereal bar with a few bits of chocolate and raisins in. doesn't have to be a huge amount consumed.

We regularly give our dog left over fruit and veg (kale, peas etc) and she can nibble corn on the cob and melon (funny to watch) and loves mashed potato but some things like cabbage, egg etc are a big no-no. She loves small bits of cheese too but go easy on it. As for meat - we rarely eat processes meat with sausages being the only exception so make sure you have low salt ones both for yourselves too.

The one thing we give her that we shouldn't is ice cream. It is her absolute favourite and ti doesnt give her the squits so she has one every now and then. Her favourite is a 99 with gravy bone flake :D

MEMO0052Medium.jpg
  • Andy!
    less goofy shot:

MEMO0053Medium.jpg
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Which is why you see so many overweight Labs. They ain't too bright bless'em

Oooo harsh but probably fair. We have 2 Labs and they live under the youngest's high chair and will eat anything (carpets and doors are particular favourites!). They are both lean and in good shape but you do have to be very careful how much you let them eat and exercise them loads.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Love it!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Regarding feeding brocolli to dogs, I'm not sure. I know you should aviod cabbage because the part of the cabbage that gives you anr I wind is more of an irritant to a dogs intestines and can result in, well, lets just say you'd need a hosereel and not a poo-bag to clear up after the dog the following day.

Dogs are fairly intollerant of high levels of fat such as those found in sausages and processed meats. The usual symptom is an upset stomach.

Sausages should also be avoided because of the presence of onions. Cooked or raw alliums (onions, garlic, chives etc) are toxic to dogs and can cause severe anaemia if the dog eats enough. I've read articles (mainly American) that even small amounts of alliums can produce a measurable decrease in the animal's red blood cell count.

With reference to the photos above, Ice cream is a bad idea due to the relatively high fact content and the presence of artificial sweetners which can be toxic for dogs. The same sweeteners are found in sweets such as fruit pastiles and Skittles.

Moldy things should be avoided - including blue cheese.

Bob
  • Andy!
    I knew there was more that I hadn't mentioned - onion & garlic. Garlic is on odd one, we were paranoid checking everything for garlic but one day I saw it in dog food as apparently small amounts are fine. We avoid though. :? We are religious at checking labels for ourselves anyway but I guess a lot of people aren't.

WRT ice cream I was more concerned with lactose intolerance. Some dogs will just have major squits so avoid - they simply cannot handle it. You have to pick up your dogs poop so you soon learn what they can tolerate in the way of occasional treats. They should poo like clockwork and any little upsets will be noticeable. But anything other than their dog food or regular routine vegetables MUST be occasional and only if it's safe. Feeding them the wrong stuff too much is a form of cruelty.

A good way to top up their veg intake is the bits of veg we don't eat - carrot peelings etc and left over rice or bran to bulk up food if they have anal gland problems.

edit: not potato peelings - always check if unsure.

oh and broccoli can be an irritant but normal concern is with respect to livestock which may have a load dumped for them to eat. don't worry about a small amount dropped on the floor.
  • My parents must have the world's fussiest Labradors. Really, the stuff they turn their noses up at (fruit, most things with bread..) would happily have been eaten by any other dog the family's kept in its 30 years of mutt-ladenness.

The most omnivorous dog we had was a Weimaraner - although her definition of 'edible' wasn't like ours, highlights being a packet of ink cartridges, pair of tights and the plastic label out of a plant plot. May have had something to do with her troubled childhood (before we got her).

http://my-weimaraners.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.htmltowards the bottom - The amazing lengths/abilities some dogs will go to to pick fruit!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Andy! wrote:
    Andy! wrote:

There will always be dogs that can tolerate chocolate and/or grapes etc - but do you want to risk finding out?

I know of dogs that have been lucky to survive after being in intensive care from a cereal bar with a few bits of chocolate and raisins in. doesn't have to be a huge amount consumed.

We regularly give our dog left over fruit and veg (kale, peas etc) and she can nibble corn on the cob and melon (funny to watch) and loves mashed potato but some things like cabbage, egg etc are a big no-no. She loves small bits of cheese too but go easy on it. As for meat - we rarely eat processes meat with sausages being the only exception so make sure you have low salt ones both for yourselves too.

The one thing we give her that we shouldn't is ice cream. It is her absolute favourite and ti doesnt give her the squits so she has one every now and then. Her favourite is a 99 with gravy bone flake :D

MEMO0052Medium.jpg

Thats Blaise Park!!!!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Now I was thinking it looked familiar, but couldn't place it. Haven't been there for, oooooh maybe 15 years.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    As far as I can work out over the last 7 years our two have eaten

raw carrot
    raw onion
    potato peelings
    cabbage
    broccoli
    cheese
    sausage - raw and cooked
    chocolate biscuits
    cream crackers
    uncooked pasta
    one mobile phone
    unknown amounts of wood
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    good tips, our one likes banana, (are they ok) and is the only thing that he takes without being given, he does peel them first.
  • My Bichon likes Olives, pitted of course but he rarely gets them as I'm not sure they are a good idea.

He's always been fussy but he won't say no to a bit of ice cream.

He's getting old and has recently developed infrequent epilepsy so he's more likely to get unhealthy treats these days as, unfortunately, I don't think long term health issues are going to be an issue.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    We have 7 or 8 dogs in the farm (I forget) trust me they'll eat anything, really anything alive or dead, doesnt even need to be edible, they even clean up after each other it's truly gross. They all seem very happy and are living long healthily lives, I wouldn't recommend letting one of them lick you though.

Oh and gun dogs that kill game, mmmm that's never a happy ending ...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.