Nearest proper trail centre to Exeter

Beanhead Bucko
Beanhead Bucko Posts: 98
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
I've only been riding about 6 months and i always ride alone but i'm really hoping to get to a proper trail centre before the weather turns and the winter sets in.

Where is the nearest proper trail centre to Devon, i'm planning on a day trip before the end of the month.

For info I ride a hardtail with 100mm of travel, i normally stick to xc on Dartmoor, Woodbury and Haldon (mainly because that's all there is to do around here) but i'm gagging to try something a bit more challenging.

Thanks in advance,

Bucko
2011 Lapierre Zesty 314

Comments

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    buy this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountain-Rides-Around-Exmoor-Dartmoor/dp/0954882962 and get out in Dartmoor and Exmoor. We did a loop round Exmoor and it rated and probably one of the hardest rides i'd done!! You've got so much fantastic natural riding on your doorstep, you really don't need to head to trail centres except for a bit of variety :D
  • Thanks guys, I know I have Dartmoor, Exmoor and the Quantocks nearby but as said in my opening post I just really want to try out a trail centre.
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    what about a trip to Wales go to Afan or Cwmcarn
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    You've got the Forest of Dean just past Brizzle too, but if it's a day trip, I'd plump for Afan. Cwm Carn's a laugh but the first part might just put you off - it's a long slog to the top!
  • I have been assuming that Wales would be my best bet but just wanted to check. I think it's probably going to be a day trip to Afan in the next couple weeks
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • camerauk
    yeah its not that far really if you set off early
    I have been planning a trip up there but never seem to manage it, I was hoping to go this week but have had to replace the petrol tank in my car :cry:
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    http://www.forestofavon.org/avontimberlandtrail.html

This should do you. In Brizzle, not been there myself yet but have been told by a few people that it is very good.
    I did my first trail centre ride this weekend. We did Whites Level at Afan and it was the most fun I have had on my bike, even the climb was fun. Afan is definatly worth a trip, maybe a weekend. It's a bit less scary than natural trails, there is less to catch you by surprise & all the jumps & drops can be avoided if they look a bit hairy.
    I think there is a trail centre in Devon (Tiverton?) but it's mainly aimed at downhill.
    As suggested above the Quantocks have got some fantastic riding, the coombes are great fun, as good at anything at a trail centre.
  • Where do you go on dartmoor? Have you done the MBR route round Grimspound and hound Tor? About 18 miles. There was stuff on there I found as challenging as a trail centre and sometimes harder. Maybe I am just a big girl.............
  • Some good comments listed by others. I think the best bet is Wales.
    Cwm Carn is nearest. tough climb and pretty good descent
    Afan is top drawer. The wall is good but i think Whites level is best. you can actually hook them both together W2 I think it is called. It would be a tough day but really challenging riding.

If you want to stay over (really with others, up to six) the we used Bry Bettwys cottages (log cabins) which link up to the back of The Wall or up hill towards the wind turbines to pick up Whites level.

The quickest though has to be Cwm Carn. just over 2 hours away and I reckon you would really like it. Haldon cubed! I too ride at Haldon as it is convenient but really rather tame.
    TT
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Gawton near Tavistock if you like downhill stuff, look on woodland riders web site. Also abbey ford woods near okehampton did have some northshore and freeride trails but have not been there for over a year and heard a rumour its been removed. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks for all the advice so far, i think i'm set on Afan as it looks f**king awesome from what i've seen today.

All i need to do now is make sure i'm properly prepared for the trip, probably next week
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • cj11 wrote:
    Gawton near Tavistock if you like downhill stuff, look on woodland riders web site. Also abbey ford woods near okehampton did have some northshore and freeride trails but have not been there for over a year and heard a rumour its been removed. Hope this helps.

Cheers but i'm not into proper downhill, i'd kill myself if my bike didn't snap first
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • Some good comments listed by others. I think the best bet is Wales.
    Cwm Carn is nearest. tough climb and pretty good descent
    Afan is top drawer. The wall is good but i think Whites level is best. you can actually hook them both together W2 I think it is called. It would be a tough day but really challenging riding.

If you want to stay over (really with others, up to six) the we used Bry Bettwys cottages (log cabins) which link up to the back of The Wall or up hill towards the wind turbines to pick up Whites level.

The quickest though has to be Cwm Carn. just over 2 hours away and I reckon you would really like it. Haldon cubed! I too ride at Haldon as it is convenient but really rather tame.
    TT

Cheers, Cwn Carn will be on my list. Haldon really is a tame family centre but it's just so convenient being 15 minutes drive from my house.

I love the idea of a weekend away but i'm still a novice and i don't have any mates that ride, they all surf or stick to sofa sports
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • Where do you go on dartmoor? Have you done the MBR route round Grimspound and hound Tor? About 18 miles. There was stuff on there I found as challenging as a trail centre and sometimes harder. Maybe I am just a big girl.............

I've only been on Dartmoor twice, did a loop around South Brent (Avon Dam) but the weather spoiled it, and i've done a short 10k ride around Princetown.

I planned to do more throughout August and September but i fell down some stairs in a pub when i was drunk and broke a rib :oops:
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • camerauk
    Beanhead Bucko if you want to meet up some time for a ride on Dartmoor or Haldon let me know
    Andy
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    http://www.forestofavon.org/avontimberlandtrail.html

This should do you. In Brizzle, not been there myself yet but have been told by a few people that it is very good.

Timberland Trail is on my doorstep so I ride it a fair bit and it is indeed a good laugh and a fun ride, but by no means a Trail Centre. It's also easy to get lost or miss bits as it's 3 different sections linked by short sections on road.

As much as it pains me to say it, go to Wales and try out a proper centre.
  • camerauk wrote:
    Beanhead Bucko if you want to meet up some time for a ride on Dartmoor or Haldon let me know
    Andy

Cheers, I would love to meet up for a ride on Dartmoor sometime if you know any good routes?

I'm sure we could get others to come along
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • camerauk
    Sounds like a good idea will have to see if a few people are interested
    I don't really know many routes on farthing but sure there is someone that knows the area
    Would have to be not to hard as I am getting on A bit now and not really fit lol
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    If you are planning a ride on 'The Moors' let me know- as we would be interested!
    I like the sound of 'not really fit' as that sums me up!- can keep going all day, just not at turbo pace!

We have done the Princetown-Burrator loop a couple of times
    And some of 'The Dartmoor killer' (then the fog landed and we snuck off home as open moors and fog=chaos in my book!

The woods at Lustleigh/Manaton are great- with a good mixture of stone/mud/rock
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • camerauk
    Yeah Fog and Dartmoor is not good
    I have done a few rides on Dartmoor done the Princetown Burrator loop, also done the North Bovey loop a few times
    I have also been out with the group Yogi on their fun rides they are a great group and there are some very nice routes on the moors around Burrator and Yelverton
    will have to see if we can get a ride organised
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • The one i did was from MBR. Started at Radford and went via Manaton throughGrimspound and huond tor. The descent around Lustleigh is amazing. About 20 miles. well worth doing. can give you some grid references if you want to try it and put a route together.
  • MobileKat and CameraUK, a nice easy paced ride on Dartmoor sounds great, it seems you both have loads more experience on the moors than me. I'm 27 and by no means a fitness freak
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • I have been assuming that Wales would be my best bet but just wanted to check. I think it's probably going to be a day trip to Afan in the next couple weeks

BB - a few of us are heading up to Afan on 30th October for a days riding. Not sure on numbers at the moment but at the moment it's me and one other. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to join us. I'm based in Exeter and we usually meet at Sowton or the services.

And that invite is open to anyone else who'd like to join us!
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    hey, if you guys sort a ride on dartmoor i'd be up for trying to tag along, will have to catch a train up to exeter or a closer station? tho as i dont drive, and im also an unfit 25 y/o who will need some fag brakes lols. give us a shout if you organise one and ill see what i can manage :D
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9

BB - a few of us are heading up to Afan on 30th October for a days riding. Not sure on numbers at the moment but at the moment it's me and one other. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to join us. I'm based in Exeter and we usually meet at Sowton or the services.

And that invite is open to anyone else who'd like to join us!

I would love that, it would be so much better than going on my own. What's your plan? Car share? What time are you meeting?

I'll have to check my shifts at work first, I'm currently planning on going on the 22nd but I'll change my plans if I can
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • Nothing set in stone yet BB but we do normally leave around 6:30 to 7ish.

We have one van that can get 4/5 bikes in plus some kit and we try and squeeze into as fewer cars as poss.

Once we've planned properly I'll drop you a PM.
  • I'm getting a little impatient now....I'm so close to getting an early night and jumping in the car at 0630 tomorrow morning for Afan.

I've got my camelpack, multitool, 2 spare tubes, puncture repair kit, pump, tyre levers, shorts, riding jersey, helmet, fingerless gloves...and fig rolls.

Anything else I might need? I really don't feel prepared but I'm gagging to get up there
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314
  • Scrap that, i've got plans now so i'll just be heading up Haldon tomorrow at some point to search for these unofficial trails
    2011 Lapierre Zesty 314