My Planet X SL Carbon Summer Bike

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited March 2011 in Your road bikes
I've never bought a brand new bike before, I've always had someone elses hand me downs or made my bikes up from second bits and bobs from various sources.

Over the summer I saw the offer from Planet X for an SL with a part SRAM Red build for under £1100 on pre-order. I thought about it long and hard............. then clicked the order button and waited until I got an email from Planet X saying mine was being built.

I brought it through Bike Science Bristol, this enabled me to get a 1/2 price bike fit at the same time.

On the day of collection.
arrival_day.jpg
I went to Bike Science in Bristol to pick it up and also had my first ever proper bike fitting as well.
I was fitted using the Retul system which involved me being covered in leds. Good job too as I found out I had been ridding in completely the wrong posistion for the last 12 months.

To give you an idea when I came away with the measurements I retrofitted them to my old bike which is now to become the winter hack and I’ve gone from a small frame to a medium, but I’ve also increased the stem from a 90mm to a 120mm and also raised the saddle by 45mm and had to had it go back by 40mm! :shock:

Anyhow, after getting her home I decided that I would look to make a few changes to her - so fired up the laptop and had a look about to see what bits and bobs I fancied for her.

I wanted to change the front end a bit and went for a 3T combination of the Ergonova Pro Bars and the ARX Team Stem.

I wanted to change the saddle too, I went for a Selle Italia Team Edition Thoork. I went for this as not only it was a lightweight saddle but also because it followed the white/red look of the bike and someone was selling some cheap on Ebay.

Whilst changing the seat I also went for a carbon K-Force seatpost over the original FSA Alloy SBS250

I originally did not like the white hoods that ‘had’ to come with the bike, but I’ve swapped out the black tape for a bontrager Red Gel and the colour scheme works I think. 8)

Final upgade for now was getting the Planet X Ti Stick Quick Releases, These at a mere 44gm the pair have also helped to shed over 400gm off of the bikes overall weight.
Looking to upgrade the wheelset and chainset at some point over the coming months. I have a pair of Easton Ascent 2 wheels which could go straight on if only I could get an R2 velomax freehub.
Hopefully the last two changes will get it down under the 7kg mark.

This will be my Summerbike, a present for having got into cycling and stuck to it. It’s my first ever ‘brand new bike’ I’ve done a couple of 60 milers on it in the 2 weeks I’ve had it and love it to bits.
It’s only a shame I might have to put here away for the winter shortly.

Anyhow, here she is in all her glory, along with a spec list of her current buildup

latest_101010.jpg

Frame: Planet X SL Carbon, Medium, White
Forks: Planet X SL Carbon,

Shifters: SRAM Red
Chainset: FSA Gossamer Pro Compact (50/34, 170mm crank arms) FSA BB Megaexo
Front Mech: SRAM Red
Rear Mech: SRAM Red
Cassette: SRAM 12-25

Pedals: Look Keo Classic
Brakeset: Ultralight Forged
Wheelset: Planet X Model B’s with Planet X Ti Stick Quick Release (Red)
Bars: 3T Ergonova Pro, 42cm c-c
Stem: 3T ARX Team, 100mm, 6 degree

Bottle Holders: Generic Carbon x2
Seat Post: FSA K-Force, 32mm layback
Seat: Selle Italia Thoork Team Edition

Weight: Currently 7.5kg with pedals (on my bathroom scales) :roll: :lol:

Comments

• one of the finest posts i have ever read on here!
    lovely bike too! I, like many, also have a px, (with ultegra for £1000) but would much rather have yours!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Nice 8)

I'd get some black hoods if I were you. My Nanolight also has white hoods and while they look okay with white bar tape when they're new, they'll be grotty in no time.
    More problems but still living....
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Very nice...I have one of these coming my way soon.
  • dru
    amaferanga wrote:
    Nice 8)

I'd get some black hoods if I were you. My Nanolight also has white hoods and while they look okay with white bar tape when they're new, they'll be grotty in no time.

We will have to see about that :wink: they got a bit grubby when I was swapping over the bars and front end setup but cleaned up nice and easily with wet-wipes.

I'll keep them on the bike as long as I can..... hopefully all the summer rides will be dry and maintainence free so should keep prestine, but we all know that doesn't happen in the UK now do well :lol:
  • dru
    Well,

I've just got my hands on that matching FSA K-Force light crankset and Ceramic bottom bracket.

It's 300gm less than the gossamer it is going to replace.

Just need to pop it down to the LBS to get it fitted.

With Respect to the wheels, I'm able to get the easton freehub sorted out, but they are on back order for 4/5 weeks.

Looks like the bike will have to wait until the new year to become sub 7kg....
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    bathroom scales arent accurate to a kilogram or two. :!:
  • dru
    rake wrote:
    bathroom scales arent accurate to a kilogram or two. :!:

Don't rain on my parade! :D

It's all down to maths anyway based on the actual stated weight of the bike from planet x, which was 7.5kg (ex pedals)

then a case of kitchen scales for every part going on or off the bike :)
  • dru
    So I have a litle update.

I decided to change the hudz from White to black, also installing a new Chainset to replace the gossamer that came with the bike. It's a K Force with Ceramic Bottom Bearing.

I'm still looking for an upgrade from the Model B wheels but until now - on good days only (or hilly Triathlons) I've got some PX50's to go on her.

Winter2010_2011006.jpg

She's coming in at just under 7kg - fully loaded... my dream :)
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Sweet setup there. Not all bathroom scales are innaccurate pieces of junk, BTW!
  • richtw
    richtw Posts: 118
    Nice bike but go easy with the Retul fit data - I went for one and my saddle came back about 40mm too. Then my spine popped and my knee cracked.... Then went to see an ex pro cyclist who put me back in my original position near enough...... Retul is not the answer to everything and a propoer eye can often be better!

Bike is still lovely though :)
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    Richtw wrote:
    Retul fit data - I went for one and my saddle came back about 40mm too.

friendly nudge, 'too' what?
  • dru
    Richtw wrote:
    Nice bike but go easy with the Retul fit data - I went for one and my saddle came back about 40mm too. Then my spine popped and my knee cracked.... Then went to see an ex pro cyclist who put me back in my original position near enough...... Retul is not the answer to everything and a propoer eye can often be better!

Bike is still lovely though :)

I did the retul fit in September and then retro fitted it to the winter bike. Been cycling throughout the winter in the new position and 'touches wood' everything has been ok since :)

I find it very hard to photograph my pearly white bike against a white back ground - so popped outside and found somethnig with a bit more contrast.

Winter2010_2011002.jpg
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    PhilofCas wrote:
    Richtw wrote:
    Retul fit data - I went for one and my saddle came back about 40mm too.

friendly nudge, 'too' what?

why he says, 'too' he means 'also'