Halfords Bulls**t...?

Bloosman
Bloosman Posts: 13
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Folks,

I recently purchased a new MTB through the Cycle-to-work scheme...

We are tied into Halfords, so went for a GT Aggressor.

Used it for a couple of weeks commuting on road and single track when the rear derailleur hanger sheared in two.

Luckily I managed to freewheel it back to the store wher I was told it would be repaired under warranty.

That was on 12 August.

I still don't have my bike repaired....

All I get are excuses regarding their supplier sending wrong parts etc...

Where do I stand, and who do I complain to...???

Dougie. :evil:

Comments

• Ask to speak to the shop manager. If it's taken 2 months to get the correct mech hanger, someone is not doing their job at all. I could order a mech hanger from here in Austria and have it tomorrow for that bike if need be. Tell him that a week after the bike was brought in, if no replacement was readily delivered, one should have been taken off another bike and put on, as it requires all of 2 minutes to take one off and put the new one on. If that fails, contact head office via email, explain the problem. Most likely you will get something out of it as well, on top of your derailleur hanger being fixed.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Visit the shop and ask to speak to the manager. if nothing is forthcoming, email the director of the company. If a solution cannot be reached ASAP, go to trading standards.
  • tell them they have had ample time to repair it and you won't them to give you another bike from stock....don't take no for an answer and do it at a busy time in front of as many customers as passable....do not loose you cool, just be persistent and stay calm.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Bloosman wrote:

Who do you complain too? Erm, try as many people as you possibly can face to face and go as high as you have too, 2 months to replace a rear derailleur, thats beyond a joke.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I've broken two mech hangers since 12th August and both times a replacement has only taken 2 days.

A week would have been ample time for a replacement.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Go back with a chair and sandwichboard on a busy saturday :lol: or take one off a stock bike yourself.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • If they looked up the spares as Disolve allows them to do then the right hanger should have been forth coming. WHere it breaks down is that the B2B ordering system requires the customer order to be created and the supplier contacted on their own B2B site.

I would stake my right one that the latter hasn't happened.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2010
    Or the fact that GT no longer deal with Halfords (they are only selling the remaining stock they have), rumours that GT brand getting a bad rep due to Halfords poor service. So could be GT supplier dragging their heels, customer then gets pissed with Halfords and they get an even worse rep.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited October 2010
    Minor point but a hanger is £10-£15 and takes 5 minutes to fit. Just do it.
    Then kick up a stink.
    Waiting a few months is just stupid.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mr boos
    mr boos Posts: 40
    Briggo wrote:
    Bloosman wrote:

Who do you complain too? Erm, try as many people as you possibly can face to face and go as high as you have too, 2 months to replace a rear derailleur, thats beyond a joke.
    stand in front of the counter and complain to the bloke on the other side
  • bobcheese
    bobcheese Posts: 343
    I have an aggressor and wanted to buy a spare rear mech hanger for it. I got quoted something stupid for what can only be described as pig iron and told that it would take two weeks to get it in as they have to order it direct from GT. My advice, go back to halfords and get you bike back, get your two pieces of hanger and find a replacement here:

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/index.asp

cost a few quid and fit pretty easy
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Check the terms of your Cycle to Work scheme. If the bikes not available to you then you should contact whoever administers your payments and have the payments suspended.
    Why pay for something you don't have ?
  • go into store and ask if you can have the mech hanger off a display model (ring up first, check they have a gt on display, but ask if its rideable, dont say you want the mech hanger off it, or much teeth sucking with ensue).

then when you get in, calmly and politely explain the situation and suggest that as a reasonable fix, and that when the ordered one comes in it can go on display and in the meantime they have a midly less dissassitfied customer :)

and if all that fails, ask to speak to the manager. the staff will run to manager, the manager will reply who gives a f*** just give him the part, and viola, all sorted

hopefully

good luck getting it sorted :)
  • I used to work at halfords, i recommend you speak to the manager and if you feel its not going anywhere tell him you're going to complain to the head office. He'll get off his arse then.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    as above, speak to the manager, if no joy speak to head office. Make a point of getting employee names if possible and stand in the shop having the conversation to head office giving the names of the staff you feel have not offered customer service you'd expect of a large well established chain such as Halfords (I'm kind of paraphrasing, if they think you think highly of their brand, but are dissappointed with individuals they're more likely to be receptive to you to salvage the situation)
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    bobcheese wrote:

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/index.asp

cost a few quid and fit pretty easy

this is where halfords (can) get them from, and its usually around £24. unfortunately it massively depends on whether BETD have it (or the staff member knows about this) otherwise it is a never-ending wait for one to come on normal stock delivery from head office (if ordered from 'spare by bike spec').
  • I reckon they've lost your bike.

One, ring them, and ask to whom you are speaking - write this down.

Two, explain the situation, and copy an email to head office.

Three. give them two days to fix or you want either a replacement bike or a refund + a concessionary amount of compensation.

Or just go postal at some spotty youth behind the counter:D

ATB

Simon
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like Bloosman has gone missing. Maybe camped out in his local Halfords protesting?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying.......

yep...I raised Camp GT outside Halfords and fired off an e-mail to their Head Office (CC'd to Trading Standards)...

...and gues what...bike has now been fixed with parts taken off a stock bike.

Be interesting to see what comes of the complaint.

MANY thanks for your assistance and pointers.

Off to the hills this weekend....:-)