Bunnyhop skills

2»

Comments

• just found this while watching that youtube vid posted above.. crazy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXLXR2_1aYE&NR=1
  • just found this while watching that youtube vid posted above.. crazy!!

Yes, it's crazy how much they look like a bunch of girls. Prancing about in lycra like that.

Videos like that make me want to take up golf instead.
  • awln
    awln Posts: 7
    cheat and get a set of SPD pedals :) just watch out when it comes to stopping
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are more than one way of skinning this cat. Try a few methods. Of course, Hans Rey who can hop 40 inches and practically started MTB trials doesn't know what he is talking about... ;-)

But seriously, practice is key and the more you experiment and try stuff the better you will get.
  • supersonic
    Hans just posted this on his FB wall, worth a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHYuLqFRkf8
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Although Hans is obviously the god of MTB, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with his statements

First he talks about the "Speed Hop" being a Bunny Hop technique. In other words, both wheels together. That is a Speed Hop and not a Bunny Hop, maybe just easier to teach due to the need for an interpreter.

Then he goes into the well debated scoop, but when you look at his technique, he doesn't scoop, he is forcing his weight forward and not scooping. He actually then explains that he's pushing against the pedals which is making his weight roll forward. He doesn't scoop once on any of the "real" Bunny Hops he does.

I can't believe I'm critising the god of MTB.....! :shock: It really is nit picking, and as mentioned already, there are many variations on many techniques that different people benefit from.

....and who the hell chose that damn jazz cafe music???? :shock:
    Craig Rogers
  • supersonic
    Looks to me he does, to an extent. I smore subtle than people make it out to be.

Bunny Hop, Cherry Hop, Speed Hop - mean different things in different places.

Anyway, interesting vid and worth trying out what he says. Is how I learned to hop. But as he says, many techniques.
  • x-isle
    ....just had a thought about the "speed hop".

I do remember having a similar conversation a while back and if I remember correctly, the dwellers on the other side of the Atlantic might call the Speed Hop a Bunny Hop too!...............

Maybe they have two types of Bunny in the US??? Ones that hop like ours and ones that just bounce? :lol:

I do like his way of talking about the Speed Hop though!........only because I do it exactly the same! :) - Newton's 2nd Law!
    Craig Rogers
  • When I was a kid starting out on a BMX (C1984) everbody round our way called both wheels at the same time a Bunny Hop or 'English Bunny Hop'.
    Front wheel first, an American Bunny Hop.

Was this just my little world or has anybody else heard this before?

Harry.
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    its still refered the same way.

both wheel s first is called wrong :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    When I was a kid starting out on a BMX (C1984) everbody round our way called both wheels at the same time a Bunny Hop or 'English Bunny Hop'.
    Front wheel first, an American Bunny Hop.

Was this just my little world or has anybody else heard this before?

Harry.
    Same here. Never, ever heard of a "speed hop" before.
  • x-isle
    Probably called the "English Bunny Hop" because people couldn't do it properly.

I call them Speed Hops to have a clear distinction between them and doing a real Bunny Hop. I have heard them called Speed Hops before, but as most people think Bunny Hops are getting both wheels off the floor at the same time by compressing the bike into the ground, most people call it a Bunny Hop.

The reason it was called a Bunny Hop is that it mimics the motion of a Rabbit which always moves by lifting it's front legs and then powering off the floor with it's rear legs, anything else is cheating and will catch you out as the back wheel needs to be in the air for a very long time when lifting both together. As Mr. Rey quite rightly points out, very useful for a reactive movement sideways.
    Craig Rogers
  • Anonymous
    Don't be stupid. Rabbits don't have wheels.
  • x-isle
    :lol: Ha ha!

Sorry, my mistake, I meant Wabbits, they do!
    Craig Rogers
  • miss notax wrote:
    I can't seem to master bunnyhops at all.... Tried to bunnyhop over a massive furry catapillar (this is about my level.... :oops: ) at the weekend and cleared my front wheel but squashed it with my back wheel. My OH has made me promise not to try and hop over living things again.... :?

Trust me from experience... Don't try it over a horse poo.

Never been able to do it myself... I feel like a dead weight on the bike every time I try.
    Never been able to wheelie either.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    After reading loads of articles and watching videos and having mates try to explain it, I could never do it. Then one day I just did one without meaning to, and managed to do it again before I forgot how, and now I can do crap bunnyhops. But I'm damned if I can explain how it works. My legs know how to do it but my brain doesn't, for all I know it's telekinesis.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    kaytronika wrote:
    miss notax wrote:
    I can't seem to master bunnyhops at all.... Tried to bunnyhop over a massive furry catapillar (this is about my level.... :oops: ) at the weekend and cleared my front wheel but squashed it with my back wheel. My OH has made me promise not to try and hop over living things again.... :?

Trust me from experience... Don't try it over a horse poo.

Never been able to do it myself... I feel like a dead weight on the bike every time I try.
    Never been able to wheelie either.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    After reading loads of articles and watching videos and having mates try to explain it, I could never do it. Then one day I just did one without meaning to, and managed to do it again before I forgot how, and now I can do crap bunnyhops. But I'm damned if I can explain how it works. My legs know how to do it but my brain doesn't, for all I know it's telekinesis.
    Hmm, I'm not sure. I'm worried that you're showing some hippy tendencies recently, are you sure it's not the power of smug that's making it work? :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Could be. Maybe I'm just angling the smugness to generate lift or something. Seems as plausible as all the other explanations really.
    Uncompromising extremist