Riis Plan B

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited November 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/502695/riis-has-a-plan-b-if-contador-is-banned.html
I wonder what that could be, a chip shop in Copenhagen maybe?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A three pronged attack of Rasmussen, Heras and Landis, with Schumacher playing the Cancellara role. Di Luca for the Vuelta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    ...to help BEEF his one-day classics team...

Cycling weekly making a funny, or just an unfortunate turn of phrase? :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Has Cancelara announced who he is riding with next year yet? If not, Maybe Riis will keep him and give him that shot at being a GC contender he's been talking about for years!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Plan B... or B-Team. Because with his best riders gone and his star recruit heading for a ban, his team is looking lacklustre for 2011.

It also raises questions about Riis. Just how closely did he look at Contador's passport info? :roll:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Well his passport is clean so no worries there.

Riis is a quality DS so a shame that he hasn't got the guys this year. Saxo,CSC were always the most professional and their tactics most often bang on - because of Riis.

Hoping Contador is cleared as really want to see what Riis can do with him. Unstoppable.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730

Has anyone formally said what his blood passport is like? If the rumours are true and it is dodgy then Riis would have been able to see what it was like when he decided to sign him.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Has anyone formally said what his blood passport is like? If the rumours are true and it is dodgy then Riis would have been able to see what it was like when he decided to sign him.

"Chaotic"

That said, Contador was monitored by Damsgaard for a good while and he noted nothing, which indicates the dopers are a step ahead. As Ashenden said, they can't really see transfusions with it and with the smaller amounts of blood being used it's probably invisible.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,811

thats whats worrying
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    Where does the quote that Contador's biological passport is chaotic come from?

I've heard it's the opposite.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    Maybe he's cranking his hemocrit up to come out of retirement....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Is it just me that worries when I read this:
    Nuyens is a good outsider. A typical underdog, I hope to get him back to the level he had before.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    Nuyens is a good outsider. A typical underdog, I hope to get him back to the level he had before.
    No, that statement applies to the level any rider had before they rode for Rabobank. :roll:
    Half man, Half bike
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    andyp wrote:
    Where does the quote that Contador's biological passport is chaotic come from?

I've heard it's the opposite.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lequipe ... r-contador

The investigators in Cologne are reported to be going through the Astana rider’s blood passport in minute detail in order to assess whether there are any anomalies. L’Équipe says that “the passport of the Spanish cyclist, which is chaotic at times, has provided no reason for suspicion”.

Not sure how it can be both "chaotic" and give "no reason for suspicion" at the same time nor how L'Equipe would have access to it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    No, that statement applies to the level any rider had before they rode for Rabobank. :roll:

Woah, way harsh!
  • slojo
    slojo Posts: 56
    Didn't Brailsford make a veiled comment about Contador's passport a while ago?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Bronzie wrote:
    Not sure how it can be both "chaotic" and give "no reason for suspicion" at the same time nor how L'Equipe would have access to it.
    I'm guessing but the numbers could move suspiciously, but not enough to guarantee a court case conviction. You need very strong changes to take a rider to court and even then it's not easy, see the Pellizotti case.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    slojo wrote:

Yes that rings bells with me too.

Didn't he do an interview with ITV4 last year, when they were asking who he was going to sign as team-lead/GC contender, before he wangled Wiggins out from Garmin, and he made some sort of 'knowing' remark about passports and Contador in the same breath ?
  • Rasmussen
  • iainf72
    Plan B appears to involve a lot of Danish riders.

According to Danish TV, he's got Guldhammer and a few other pretty handy guys. Looks like it might be a young squad.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:
    Plan B appears to involve a lot of Danish riders.

According to Danish TV, he's got Guldhammer and a few other pretty handy guys. Looks like it might be a young squad.

Guldhammer looks very promising, but cant see anywhere that he's moving from HTC. All I can find is Rolf Sørensen telling Riis he should go for him (and a few other young Danish riders). Guldhammer won the white jersey in Danmark Rundt this year and last, but it was Fuglsang that won the race.....

***EDIT: Worth noting that Riis was interwested in 2009, but Brian Holm got there first. Still, Guldhammer thinks of himself as a climber, so if he's fed up being in the HTC train.... ***
  • iainf72
    I think you're right not a doc. Its more like a wish list.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    slojo wrote:

Yes that rings bells with me too.

Didn't he do an interview with ITV4 last year, when they were asking who he was going to sign as team-lead/GC contender, before he wangled Wiggins out from Garmin, and he made some sort of 'knowing' remark about passports and Contador in the same breath ?

Yeah, I seem to remember this during the 09 Tour. He dismissed signing Contador out of hand. At the time I felt the implication was that he was suspicious.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    It's looking like Nuyens is plan B to me. I can't say it's a particularly inspiring one. That or holding on to Cancellara for one more year.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Danish TV reporting Italian website rumourmongering that the chicken is on his way

http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Cykling/2010/11/04/221929.htm