Ever been tempted

SimonLyons
SimonLyons Posts: 203
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
to pick up that dead pheasant on the way home?

Comments

• How dead is it?
  • Definitely wasn't there on Friday.
  • I'd be tempted. I wouldn't though, as Mrs. Elephant is a vegefarian.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'd be tempted. I wouldn't though, as Mrs. Elephant is a vegefarian.
    She'd probably never let you forget about it if you did...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411

Is that a typo or is Mrs Elephant into reggae as well as lentils?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hugely, every time I see one.

Is everyone aware of that legal distinction that allows you to pick a dead pheasant up if you chance upon one, but if you kill it through your own actions, legally you have to leave it?
  • rjsterry wrote:

Is that a typo or is Mrs Elephant into reggae as well as lentils?

Play on words, rather than a typo. She doesn't have dreadlocks, for the record.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    CiB wrote:
    Hugely, every time I see one.

Is everyone aware of that legal distinction that allows you to pick a dead pheasant up if you chance upon one, but if you kill it through your own actions, legally you have to leave it?

Which simply means: go around in pairs....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Thought it might be, then glanced down and noticed that F is just below T on the keyboard so wondered.

@ CiB: Except of course if those actions involve a shotgun and a beater, or does it still apply then, and you can only take someone else's home?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Colleague of mine who lives in Yorkshire is well known for his roadkill penchant. No idea as to the legalities, but can't really see how you'd get caught anyway.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Surely riding down the road with roadkill strapped to your back may increase the chances of being caught!

"good evening sir may i enquire so how such a creature is strapped to your back?"

yea goodluck with that :P

Only roadkill I get to see on the road are pigeons... I'm not THAT exciting about scooping it off the road to be honest.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    It's definitely pheasant season, I startled several while out for a cheeky little lunchtime MTB jaunt.

How would having a pheasant strapped to your back affect your FCN ? Surely it's got to demonstrate your being hgh up the food chain ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Nah. I don't much care for pheasant. I did accidentally pull one's head off while trying to end its suffering (we hit it with a car) though. Gave that to a chef 'cos he likes pheasant more than me.

Now, could I get a deer on the rack?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Chaps! Are you cavemen?! It's dead! WTF would you pick up a dead thing with a view to eating it? :o
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coming back from celebrating the chef's birthday in a bar in the Massif Central, we ran over a coypu. Absolutely no idea what a coypu was doing up in the hills but chef took it as a sign from Dieu. Steeped it for a couple of days in its own blood and red wine for a few days and then served it up as a ''civet'' for the Auberge meal of the day. Tough as old boots...

If you ever run over a coypu, it really isn't worth stopping....

File:Myocastor_coypus3.jpg
  • Oops, that coypu's just repeated on itself...aka double post
  • cjcp
    Coming back from celebrating the chef's birthday in a bar in the Massif Central, we ran over a coypu. Absolutely no idea what a coypu was doing up in the hills but chef took it as a sign from Dieu. Steeped it for a couple of days in its own blood and red wine for a few days and then served it up as a ''civet'' for the Auberge meal of the day. Tough as old boots...

A rat! What's wrong with chicken???
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    cjcp wrote:
    Chaps! Are you cavemen?! It's dead! WTF would you pick up a dead thing with a view to eating it? :o

Chap! Are you a pansy? It's mostly dead. Because it's tasty! :)

And frankly it strikes me as more wholesome and... 'honest' than something that's been skinned, quartered and shrink-wrapped in a factory. Christ that came out a bit Hugh Fernley-Whitingstall.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Coming back from celebrating the chef's birthday in a bar in the Massif Central, we ran over a coypu. Absolutely no idea what a coypu was doing up in the hills but chef took it as a sign from Dieu. Steeped it for a couple of days in its own blood and red wine for a few days and then served it up as a ''civet'' for the Auberge meal of the day. Tough as old boots...

First of all it's more beaver than rat and, let's face it, lots of us have happily eaten beaver.

Second, the chickens must have escaped between the 2 wheels.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    [First of all it's more beaver than rat and, let's face it, lots of us have happily eaten beaver.
    I don't see too many dead pheasants in central and south east London. The beaver idea sounds much more appealing :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

First of all it's more beaver than rat and, let's face it, lots of us have happily eaten beaver.

Beaver, rat. Rat, beaver. Same difference. Good God no. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • What about the dead rat?

Lady cycling beside me on last week's club ride ran over one and then punctured about 30 seconds later. We got to change a tyre decorated with rat innards.
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Beaver, rat. Rat, beaver. Same difference. Good God no. :lol:
    MV5BMTc2NTk5NzAwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzM5MDAxMw@@._V1._SX640_SY396_.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I'm vegetarian. But I don't think I'd pick up a carrot after I'd run over it.
    Riding on 531