Any IOM Riders on Here?

stephec
stephec Posts: 795
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I'm looking at booking a trip for next year and can't find an accomodation guide that allows me to search for B+B's with bike storage.

I was hoping to stay in Douglas for a few days at a place with bike storage and decent car parking, is there someone who can point me in the right direction?

Or failing that a place that will let me take my steed up to my room would be most acceptable.

Comments

• _HENDO_
    _HENDO_ Posts: 93
    I am.

This site might help: http://www.manxmtb.org/

If you post in the forums someone will give you some further details on where to stay and maybe even put you up for a few nights if you're lucky.
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com
  • stephec
    Thanks Hendo. :)

That's a good looking site, I'll have a good nosey around when I've got more time.
  • The End2End event is on 18th September 2011

Done it twice, unsure about the later date next year though
  • 40sheds
    40sheds Posts: 29
    Hi,

I don't know if you have had any succes yet, however this company may be of some use

http://www.iomevents.com/isle_of_man_ev ... iking.html

We have used them in the past for cheap ferry crossings, cheaper than going direct through the steam packet company, for some strange reason.

We have found them to be really good, if they cant help they may be able to point you in the right direction.
    god made me fat so the short and ugly could still get laid

Cobia 29er 1/2 blinged
  • I'm sure CWNT will be along soon enough with some assistance!

Oh Hai !

Saw your post on the local forums. Sorry, can't really be of much assistance accomodation wise. I live here so don't readily have need for a B&B that takes bikes as I usually just stay at my house :D

Sleepwell sponsor the End 2 End and they are known to be pretty bike friendly.

If you're wanting a route map of the E2E route you can find a high-res PDF of the permissable route here

Instructions for other routes along with maps can be found here

The local club do several rides throughout the week, on a tuesday night, thursday night and Sunday morning.

Or if you drop me a PM I could probably see my way to a ride or 2 around some of the places NOT on the maps :wink:

Hope that is at least SOME help to you
  • stephec
    Thanks CWNT, I'm just looking at booking a ferry now.
  • STEPHEC wrote:

Oh dear, I'm very, very sorry then !
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    STEPHEC wrote:

For what date?
  • stephec
    STEPHEC wrote:

What do you mean?
  • STEPHEC wrote:
    STEPHEC wrote:

What do you mean?

Steam Racket prices.

3-4 times more than you'd pay to go to France. It's quite embarrassing really.
  • stephec
    A captive audience, and there's no competition is there?: :twisted:

At the moment prices are £173 to £188 for a Friday to Sunday crossing next April.
  • No competition because it's a government sanctioned monopoly.

They let the steam packet sign a single user agreement. They did of course have to agree to certain terms, but they have ways around them.

Such a shame too, because the Island could be a MASSIVE destination. not just for MTB, but for all sorts of other things. Everyone who comes here comments on how nice it is.

Ah well, on the bright side, high ferry prices keep out the commoners :wink::lol:
  • 40sheds
    40sheds Posts: 29
    Hi,

Give IOM events a bell as you can just book a ferry through them if you want (see earlier post)

Me and the family went over to the island earlier on this year and saved 70-80 quid on what the steam packet company wanted to charge us.

We are going over again next year and will use them again, they are really friendly and helpful.
    god made me fat so the short and ugly could still get laid

Cobia 29er 1/2 blinged