Newb Keeps on Learning

mak3m
mak3m Posts: 1,394
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
*sigh*

havent been on here for about a month :cry:

ridiculous amount of work have severly limited my cycling, so thought enough is enough and took my self and mrs mak3m off to Shropshire for a bit of a cycling weekend.

Fri day went to Church Stretton and did the Long Mynd Loop, top top ride. As stated was a little worried that i wouldnt be able to manage as i havent been on my bike for a month and tbh only been doing it for 3 months total.

But Saturday head was a lil fuzzy, red wineage, but body felt good. So found a nice route from Shrewsbury to Welshpool area over the Long Mountain. Half way up it was my bike that gave out not me.

chain slipped off rear derallier, sheared off my rear mech completly, ripped the chain off the front rings and jammed in the front derallier. I did a perfect forward roll over the handle bars and landed next to a startled sheep with out a single scratch :D

got as much free as i could but still didnt free ride back down as the mech was swinging free and didnt fancy wiping out on the way down.

anyway the long walk back down gave me plenty of time to reflect on me deciding that i would never need a chain break or tool as the likelyhood of me doing those kind of repairs on the fly were remote, and the fact i just skipped the shorten your chain tute on the bike doctor :oops:

oh well you live and learn, above items will be tacked on to my new rear mech order :roll:

Bless Mrs Mak3m she saw i was in serious trouble and came back to make sure she had the fags and lighter before contiuing with her ride, which she said was awsome :P

Comments

• I must admit to having a chain tool as part of a multi tool but I've really no idea how to use it

I've only got back into biking in the last couple of months after a 15 year break and the amount still to learn or relearn is scary

but for me learning technique is more important than mechanics at the minute

PS here's hoping for a Bent hat-trick for England tomorrow, get his confidence up so that he never stops knocking them in for the lads :D
    Cogito ergo Dumb
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    you could carry a spare SRAM powerlink with you for when your chain snaps
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Still worth learning and carrying as sometime a broken chain requires you to remove parft of the link before you can use the power link.
  • mak3m
    PS here's hoping for a Bent hat-trick for England tomorrow, get his confidence up so that he never stops knocking them in for the lads :D

:( hes injured apparently

Chain tool on way

luckily i only had a 6-7 mile walk back to pub/car, if it had gone the day before could have been a potential 20 :shock: deffo going to ham up on chain repair and bodge jobs, or even if i just have the tool i could flag down a fello mtb'er and ask for help :P
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Are you sure the rear mech is broke and not just the mech-hanger?9 times out of ten the mech is fine and a new hanger is all that's required.
  • mak3m
    lol yup should have updated just need a new hanger :oops: i was traumatised havent walked that far in years :P
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    It's happened to us all :wink:
    Happened to me on a night ride in January about 4 years ago :roll: 3 mile walk back to the car and the temp was -7 I was like a block of ice when I finally reached the car :D