tendon injury & cycling, anyone any experience?

Portrush Philly
Portrush Philly Posts: 65
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
On holiday in Turkey recently (2 1/2 wks ago) I managed to severe the tendons on the front of my left leg in a non-alcohol related accident. I had surgery to re-attach them together and am currently obviously unable to cycle and only info from doc is that I gotta not use my leg for 6 weeks. Anyone had any tendon related injuries and how long was it before you were able to get back in the saddle?
I LOVE THE SMELL OF GT85 IN THE MORNING!

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    IIRC Lost in Thought wrecked her Achilles Tendon a while back.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    ligament and tendon injuries can take longer to heal than broken bones. Inflamed tendons in the lower leg (I had achilles tendonitis and, separately, a lateral ligament injury to my right knee) can quickly lead to swelling such that you can't get your shoes on. You may not feel much pain while exercising but could still be doing damage, so I would recommend caution, patience, talking to your doctor nearer the time, and building up very slowly.

the muscles attached to the tendons in question can easily waste away over six weeks of reduced use. A physiotherapist might be able to help you rehab these.

Hope your recovery goes well