Good LBS for servicing in Bristol?

waddlie
waddlie Posts: 542
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Hi all.

Looking for recommendations for a decent LBS in Bristol to give Rocky an overhaul. I'm a bit paranoid about shops promising the earth but not actually doing all the work they promise to do and have had some bad experiences with a couple of well known stores, particularly one that rhymes with "Crud Dock."

Anyone got any ideas?
Rules are for fools.

Comments

• Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    cyclesurgery in filton. Best one around IMO.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    edited October 2010
    MD - generally good but can be £££
    Garland / ZeroG (Spesh dealer) - good, but specify exactly what you want doing and read the riot act when they set things up different to how you had it when you dropped bike off (they mean well).
    Psyclwurx (however the hell they spell it) - I have it on good authority they are great but again £££. More for the top dollar kit.
    Bike - good, but always a waiting list.
    Harvey's - very good, least likely to overcharge IMO, but I wouldn't bother them with suspension problems.

I think a lot of it is down to communication. Say exactly what you want doing and get a proper quote.
  • Strada Cycles are very good, have used them a lot for my road bikes. Not sure how good there are when it comes to MTB's but may be worth a look. Alternatively, I would go to Mud Dock, I know they used to be very good at all things MTB but not been in there for a while so couldn't tell you what there like now.

I agree with wordnumb when it comes to explaining exactly what you want done and making sure that they know what you want done.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Waddlie wrote:
    Hi all.

Looking for recommendations for a decent LBS in Bristol to give Rocky an overhaul. I'm a bit paranoid about shops promising the earth but not actually doing all the work they promise to do and have had some bad experiences with a couple of well known stores, particularly one that rhymes with "Crud Dock."

Anyone got any ideas?

Never had any problems with MD except the new mechanic can be a bit miserable. The old one, would do a lot of it for free (granted I did buy the bike there)

cyclelife on near the bear pit, near the music store is quite good, but limited stock.
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I'd recommend Garlands/Zero G every time. When you go in, ask for Graham, he's absolutely bang on.
  • waddlie
    Thanks guys. Think it's a toss-up between cycle surgery and garlands.

Not going back to Mud Dock. Took in a wheel to have a broken spoke replaced. Because the tyre was an utter biyatch to get on and off I asked them nicely to remove and re-fit the tyre themselves to spare my thumbs.

Got a call to say the wheel was ready. Went to pick it up but the workshop had closed early. A guy in the shop itself went to fetch it out of the workshop. The tyre was on the wrong way round and the dustcap was missing.

Probably sounds trivial but if their attention to detail is that slack with something so simple, I'm not inclined to trust them with bearings, bleeding brakes or anything remotely complicated...
    Rules are for fools.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Palmers/Cyclelife are good in my book as they are across the road from me. Spesh concept store at the bottom of Park Street, treat like they got the plague. Garlands are much better even though they are owned by the same people :? Harveys in Henleaze will help those with squeaky black bikes, plus they are near Wimbledon Common :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • waddlie
    redvee wrote:
    Palmers/Cyclelife are good in my book as they are across the road from me. Spesh concept store at the bottom of Park Street, treat like they got the plague. Garlands are much better even though they are owned by the same people :? Harveys in Henleaze will help those with squeaky black bikes, plus they are near Wimbledon Common :lol:

Cheeky git. Harvey's are great (and indeed a mere 20 yds from Wimbledon common) but suffers from being a family bike store - too used to telling people what they want rather than asking them...
    Rules are for fools.