colnago/ maestro

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
hi been looking on this site for an eps are they a reliable company and are they the cheapest around?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yes.

They are competitive but when buying something like that I'd not be looking at 'cheapest' I'd be looking at 'best service'. Fortunately Maestro has a reputation for good service too.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Mike the owner does not suffer fools/tyre kickers wasting his time and will tell you so. If you want one, he'll do it a good price but don't be trying to play him off against someone else as he'll tell you where to go. What you will get is a Colnago that you want and back-up that you expect.
    M.Rushton
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mike's a top bloke, been selling Colnago for many years longer than anyone else. He buys the bikes via the Benelux distributor and can offer customer paint finishes too - most of his sales go to the US.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    + 1 On all the above points.

Mikes a top bloke and makes a lovely coffee too :)
  • markyone
    i have a cx1 at the moment and want to upgrade to eps if thats the word, just need a reliable company i can trust if spending that sort of money cheers.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Mike's a top bloke, been selling Colnago for many years longer than anyone else. He buys the bikes via the Benelux distributor and can offer customer paint finishes too - most of his sales go to the US.

Apparently (and this is 4th hand) he can't do the custom paint anymore :(
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    The EPS is an orgasmic frame!
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

Apparently (and this is 4th hand) he can't do the custom paint anymore :(

Yeah, I spoke to him personally for a good 15-20 mins about it having phoned up on the basis of going down and ordering a c59 in a current Colnago Super colour, prbk. I was even prepared to take an eps in that colour if it was easier. That would have meant just swapping white or red for black on their current pr99 or pr82 eps schemes, nothing too difficult surely. I would have paid the deposit on the phone but he was adamant the custom colours were finished and unfortunately that was that.

My experience of him was nothing but positive and I would order a bike from him for sure. I found him very personable, helpful and polite. Give him a call about ordering the EPS, it can't hurt, he's just a really nice guy who sells bikes from what I can tell.
  • Mikes alright, but frames take ages to get. I waited 7 months for an EPS.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Top shop. Got my Bianchi off him years ago, a bit of a character but sound as a pound. He tried to get a team started in the 90's to go to the continent but got f all support at the time and should be applauded for having at least tried.
  • markyone
    sorry to act dumb but what do you mean by custom paint?is it if you need a certain colour?does he just stock off the shelf colours cheers
  • @markyone - Mike used to be able to get pretty much any of the colnago colours put on the frame you wanted (I still have my master-x-light with mapei 98 art decor paint job from Mike!) but these days its just the stock colnago colours as per their website.
    he doesnt guarantee any delivery times either (which is fine) as I dont think he knows when they are coming. He puts his order in and then waits for benelux to deliver them. Great prices though.
    He also has clients in Australia (as we get robbed blind over here!)
  • markyone
    spoke to mike today,he has 1 in stock colour pr99 i will wait and see if any other colours come in.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Cyclefit have one in at the moment but it might not be your size/colour

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/sale.html
    M.Rushton
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mike's consignments typicaly involve as many frames he can stuff in the back of his Volvo! His shops worth a visit just to see the number of frames he's got - the most other dealers can muster is a handful. Haven't seen him for a few years so didn't realise he'd dropped the custom finishes.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • markyone
    wheres he based to?
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    188 Pagham Road
    Nyetimber
    Bognor Regis
    PO21 3QB
    Tel 01243 268460
  • yes would have to agree with Monty Dog, when I last went to Mikes shop ('99!) it was like Aladdins Cave...all high end frames up high and low...it was awesome. Yes there are plenty of big bike shops that have lots of bikes but none I have been in that have just quality everywhere you looked...Colnago, Cioccs and others and his workshop which while small had everything needed to put your dream bike together.