Sram S30 wheels

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Anyone using any of the Sram S30 range of wheels ?
Any comments and experiences, good or bad appreciated.
Considering them for my next build.

Cheers
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,202
    i just got my new bilke with the s30al race wheels

have only had a few rides, but they seem fine

stiff, don't notice any flex when climbing out of the saddle, smooth running hubs, bearings adjustable without tools

before choosing i looked at a lot of wheels, for a moderately aero clincher, the aero/weight/price combination was the best i found by a long way

look good as well
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    I bought a Cervelo RS with SRAM S30AL Sprints four weeks ago. The rear wheel went out of shape after less than 100 miles. LBS fixed it for me. Now, 300 miles later, a spoke has broken. Haven't hit a pot-hole or anything daft - just cycling the roads I've been cycling for last six years. Fulcrum 7s went 10,000+ miles on the same roads without needing adjustment. Am hoping that this particular SRAM wheel is a one-off dud. And I don't think I'm putting the thing under undue strain - I'm 11 stone. Not exactly Contador-light, but not a lardie either.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would personally go for the Reynolds Attack or Assault. Cheaper, lighter, look nicer, use normal spokes so no probs with replacements.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • sungod
    Dadmo wrote:
    I bought a Cervelo RS with SRAM S30AL Sprints four weeks ago. The rear wheel went out of shape after less than 100 miles. LBS fixed it for me. Now, 300 miles later, a spoke has broken. Haven't hit a pot-hole or anything daft - just cycling the roads I've been cycling for last six years. Fulcrum 7s went 10,000+ miles on the same roads without needing adjustment. Am hoping that this particular SRAM wheel is a one-off dud. And I don't think I'm putting the thing under undue strain - I'm 11 stone. Not exactly Contador-light, but not a lardie either.

wow, i know the road uses different spokes but will keep an eye out for this
  • sungod
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Reynolds stuff is way overpriced - but good.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sungod wrote:

I was thinking of the S40s...

The Reynolds attacks are lighter than the s30s though... :? (1450g compared to S30's 1495).

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=W0167

That said, yeah, different price bracket...
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I also popped a spoke on mine 6 weeks after buying them (at 10 mph on Richmond Park of all places! Hard riding that...). They're pretty light and stiff enough but if I have any more spoke problems then I'll be very p****d off with them.

I don't mind them but if I was buying again I'd either get hand built carbon (for race only) or stick with Fulcrums (because they never seem to go out of true / pop a spoke etc).
  • galatzo
    Cheers

Indifferent at best.
    I'll probably stick to the HED Ardennes.

Thanks
  • sungod
    NapoleonD wrote:
    sungod wrote:

I was thinking of the S40s...

The Reynolds attacks are lighter than the s30s though... :? (1450g compared to S30's 1495).

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=W0167

That said, yeah, different price bracket...

they do look nice though, i'm thinking of some deeper carbon ones for next year...
  • Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    A quick follow-up: LBS were perplexed by the busted wheel, having never had a problem with the S30s before, but said it was covered by SRAM's warranty and fitted a replacement wheel immediately. Shall let you know if there are any further problems.
  • sungod
    update:

after a couple of months' riding, including two weeks of long rides in windy rainy cold lanzarote (not that i'm bitter about my holiday weather or anything), i'm still really happy with the s30al race

they've stayed true in spite of time on some really rough roads, stiff when climbing out of the saddle, stable at high speeds

plus, when the wind is just right, it howls in the spokes, weird noise on a dark lonely road through the volcanoes
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Just to bring this one back after a bit - Fudges are doing these for £350 http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=104340 that seems to be a bargain?

Anyone got any other thoughts?
  • Galatzo wrote:
    Cheers

Indifferent at best.
    I'll probably stick to the HED Ardennes.

Thanks

Did you get the Ardennes?
  • sungod
    mroli wrote:
    Just to bring this one back after a bit - Fudges are doing these for £350 http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=104340 that seems to be a bargain?

Anyone got any other thoughts?

does look good

vs. the s30 al race the difference is the spokes aren't bladed and the hub is a smidge heavier, but for the price it's still a pretty light wheel with some aero advantage at speed
  • galatzo
    Picked up some barely used Spinegy Xaero, mostly due to budget constraints but I had always wanted to try a pair but thought them a bit expensive new.
    Just got a SLR Kit Carbonio to go on it and turned the bars down a little from the pics below.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16557605

Don't if it's the frame, the wheels or a combination of both but all is very comfy at the moment although not put any really big rides in given time of year and currently very poor fitness levels !
    Still thinking about what wheels I'd like for it but it could be a while and lookings half the fun.
    Longest day today, Spring will soon be here !