Wiler sizing - help!

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Finally, I have found the perfect road bike for me at the bike exhibition today - a Wilier Izoard XP Petacchi. Great spec for the money and is just right for what I need it for.

Now,for those who have a Wilier, I am 5 11 with a 32" inner leg, so would a 'large' be ok? I didnt get a chance to sit on it etc. as it was bolted to the stand.

Thanks

Ash

Comments

• Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    I would say yes. I'm 5'8 and about a 30' leg and my 2010 cento is a medium which fits me well.

However u should try one out tho as it's important to check these things for yourself.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would say "possibly". I found the Wilier Mortirolo to be a more compact geo than my Spesh and I have heard this is a Wilier trait. Whether that is true or not I simply do not know but I did find that it was about 1/2 a size smaller. May be the Spesh Large is a 56 and Wilier a 55?

I am 5'9-5'10 (ish) and the L Mortirolo was about right but I would have tried an XL too if I was buying. I seriously recommend that you have a test ride but spend the time to set the saddle up correctly (height and fore/aft) before you go out. I need to push my saddle back to nearly the max to get my knee position right, which means that the relative bar position is affected.

Have to say though, Wiliers are lovely bikes.
  • I've been looking at getting the Wilier Izoard XP Petacchi too but to be honest I think the spec for the money is actually quite poor, a very low level finishing kit and poor wheels, hopefully you'll be able to buy the frameset by itself!

On the sizing I currently ride an older 2008 Wilier Evasion Medium and am 5ft7 with an inseam of 33".
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    I have a 2010 Izoard, 32" inner leg, and am 5'10" - I ride a large. I would say a large would suit you.

If you want a test ride, try the Cyclesurgery - numerous branches in Surrey. The Chertsey branch has a car park which they'll allow you to scoot around to try it out. Cycleopedia in Surbiton and Sigma Sport in Hampton Wick also stock the Wilier brand, but don't do test rides. I haven't seen them stocking the 2011 XP though.

That said, the 2010 Izoard has better spec, uses a better grade of carbon, and is lighter. It's probably cheaper as it's in the clearance too - the 2011 Izoard XP replaces this years Mortirolo, while the Gran Turismo replaces this years Izoard.
  • I have a large Izoard which fits perfectly and am also 5'11, 32 inch inside leg
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Interesting, I have a 2009 Izoard, I'm 5' 10" and I ride a medium, extremely comfortable bike to ride.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Finally, I have found the perfect road bike for me at the bike exhibition today - a Wilier Izoard XP Petacchi. Great spec for the money and is just right for what I need it for.

Now,for those who have a Wilier, I am 5 11 with a 32" inner leg, so would a 'large' be ok? I didnt get a chance to sit on it etc. as it was bolted to the stand.

Thanks

Ash
    And you didn't ask the very helpful wilier people on the stand? FWIW the Large does sound the right size but you could get yourself to a dealer who should measure you properly.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I'm 5'10 and a half...
    I have a L but could manage an M (seatpost is a bit low on my large).

You'd need to get set up on a bike, and take the details to a good LBS who will look at the spec, angles, and better advise you. I found test riding a Cento was hard as few places keep demo's.
    My test ride was funny due to the ISP and it being at full height for a 6'1 rider.

You could go either way - depending if you like a compact ride with a lot of seapost, or a longer reach and more stretched fit.
  • I have a willer la tristina

i'm 5 9 (and a bit) :lol:
    31 inside leg

i have a xl (see pic for seat height)

wt.jpg
  • That bike looks way too big, im 5ft 7 and ride a medium, your saddle looks very low compared to the bars.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    it is way too big - XL is 6foot plus.
  • ashleymp777
    I have a Wilier 'L' 56 and I am 5'11''
  • It's comfortable !!

The guy who owned it before me was 6 ‘1 and he was told it was to small for him ??

Guess it takes all shapes and sizes LOL