Genesis Day01 Alfine

gaz545
gaz545 Posts: 493
edited January 2011 in Your road bikes
My new commuting bike.

5065249608_3a8f76e485_b.jpg

5065250264_33a68f6754_z.jpg

I still have to remove the bell and reflectors. Tomorrow i will be adding all the stuff to make it ready for the commute on Monday.

Specs:
Frame: Reynolds 520 double-butted Cr-Mo
Fork: Butted cr-Mo
Headset: FSA
Shifters: Virsa VRS1 8-Spd STI
Chainset: Driveline 42T
BB: Th sealed square taper
Chain: KMC 810 single-speed
Freewheel: Shimano 20T Nexus
Wheels: Alex XD-Lite disc 32 hole
Front Tyre: Contintenal Gatorskins 25mm
Rear Tyre: Specilized Armadillo 25mm
Brakes: Tektro Lyra cable discs.
Handlebar: Genesis 6061 Shallow drop
Stem: Genesis 6061
Saddle: Genesis road Cr-mo rail
Seat Post: Genesis 6061
Pedals: Shimano SPD-SL 105

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Looks like my idea of the perfect commuting bike. It will be good to hear how it rides. What range do you have gear-wise? I'm not up to speed on Alfine hubs. Is it fixed (I know you have gears, what I mean is can you free wheel)?

What was the damage (£s)?

Lovely looking workhorse. Your 130 miles per week should just fly by. Sorted your camera mounts out yet?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gaz545
    The range is around 29inches to 96inches. Which is pretty low but could still manage high 30's on that at around 160rpm.
    It's not fixed.
    Cost excluding tyres and mudguards was £999
    Camera mounts are sorted but not yet on this bike, doing that today as well as adding my other commuting stuff.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    What is the name for that colour please? And if you know the code for it as well you can have an extra cookie! ;)
  • gaz545
    What is the name for that colour please? And if you know the code for it as well you can have an extra cookie! ;)
    Orange :P

This is it ready for commuting
    5068442210_b66381dd78_b.jpg
  • been on my alfined bike over 2 years , after a couple of oil baths it'l b great , i just bought an on one pompetemine & swapped bits over , 1st ride 2moro 4 me 2
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Looking nice!

Now - how heavy and what are you going to do with the carbon road bike?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks like the perfect commuter!

Colour reminds me of this work of art -

221354a.jpg
  • Valy
    Is that some kind of silly light bike?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Valy wrote:
    Is that some kind of silly light bike?

It is rather light, but the frame and pearlescent paint job is stunning IMO.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 10&t=71005
  • gaz545
    Valy wrote:
    Looking nice!

Now - how heavy and what are you going to do with the carbon road bike?

Not sure how heavy, will have to weigh it soon. Carbon roadie is being kept for weekend rides :)
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    gaz545 wrote:
    Camera mounts are sorted but not yet on this bike,

why cameras...?
  • gaz545
    softlad wrote:
    gaz545 wrote:
    Camera mounts are sorted but not yet on this bike,

why cameras...?
    Thats the way i roll. I do some campaigning for better road safety and driver awareness.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Looks like the perfect commuter!

Colour reminds me of this work of art -

221354a.jpg

I remember drooling over one of these Kleins many years ago, which was painted in a deep fuschia pink, over gold metallic, one of those colours that changed depending on the light angle. The gloss clear coat made the paint look about an inch thick..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Valy
    ND - I see. 5.8KG ain't bad... :P

OP - gotta weight it... grrr. :P

Nice ride for the weekends you got.

Why did you get a new commuter? Wanting to preserve the CF bike? :P
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    gaz545 wrote:
    Orange :P

Not exactly the answer I was after, but I left myself open to it I suppose! ;)

I still need to pin the colour scheme for my Enigma, the code for that orange would be good...
  • gaz545
    Valy wrote:
    ND - I see. 5.8KG ain't bad... :P

OP - gotta weight it... grrr. :P

Nice ride for the weekends you got.

Why did you get a new commuter? Wanting to preserve the CF bike? :P
    I'll weigh in some time in the next week :P

Too much salt is put down in the winter months and i want a lil bit more mudguard protection than race blades can offer on the commute.
  • Valy
    Were the race blades Mk1 or Mk2?
  • Hi - been coveting a day one for a few months now as it looks to me to be the best option (in my price range) for the daily commute. Despite the "quality" of CS7 my entry level road bike seems to be struggling after a couple of winters commuting and I am looking for something reasonably quick but more sturdy and hopefully maintenance - and puncture free. The only other comparable options seem to be the Ridgeback Flight 04 and the Charge Mixer 8 neither of which have drop bars and both have hydraulic discs which I'm not sure I am keen on. I guess my question is simply how are you finding the performance of your new day one after a week or two of use? Is the weight an issue? How responsive are the brakes and hub? Is the ride comfortable? etc.....

I will be looking to take one for a test ride over the next few weeks anyway but your thoughts would be appreciated.
  • gaz545
    Langer44 wrote:
    Hi - been coveting a day one for a few months now as it looks to me to be the best option (in my price range) for the daily commute. Despite the "quality" of CS7 my entry level road bike seems to be struggling after a couple of winters commuting and I am looking for something reasonably quick but more sturdy and hopefully maintenance - and puncture free. The only other comparable options seem to be the Ridgeback Flight 04 and the Charge Mixer 8 neither of which have drop bars and both have hydraulic discs which I'm not sure I am keen on. I guess my question is simply how are you finding the performance of your new day one after a week or two of use? Is the weight an issue? How responsive are the brakes and hub? Is the ride comfortable? etc.....

I will be looking to take one for a test ride over the next few weeks anyway but your thoughts would be appreciated.

I commute on the CS7. so look out for me, you can't miss my bike ;)

You will have to be conferdante to fix a puncutre, it's a long process, take the mudguard off the rear stays, release the cable on the hub gear, remove the chain and lossen the nuts on the axel. but apart from that it is great. Oh and the gear differences, some of the jumps are pretty big so you will have to get out of the saddle to accelerate up to a comfortable caddence.
  • Thanks..... will definitely keep an eye out for the orange blur!

I guess marathon plus tyres will take some of the risk out of puncture repair on a wet winter night.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    @gaz545: very interested to see yr post re the Day One Alfine. I am beginnig to hanker after one so I will be interested to see yr further progress reports.

What is yr view re the following?
    1. I have in mind light offroad/towpath with road use being restricted to trips to the shops and tennis clusb etc on the lowlands of Fulham; for this standard Continental Speedking 35 should serve.
    2. If I want to ride further/faster I guess there is a vast range of alternatives tyres given the huge clearance. I note yr comment re taking rear wheel off. I wonder if Crud Roadracers would have required detachment?
    3. What full mudguard do you choose?
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ah gaz545, you have what looks to be my next commuter. Do you happen to know if you can fit a rack to it with those 'guards? How much clearance is there with those 'guards (and what are they?) and tyres 'cos I'm thinking of Schwalbe M+

Lastly, how do you rate the bike? (We all know I'm probably going to buy the thing anyway!)
    I've ridden an 8 speed Alfine before and reckon I'd likely go higher than the stock gearing as I'm a bit of a masher.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • gaz545
    davis wrote:
    Ah gaz545, you have what looks to be my next commuter. Do you happen to know if you can fit a rack to it with those 'guards? How much clearance is there with those 'guards (and what are they?) and tyres 'cos I'm thinking of Schwalbe M+

Lastly, how do you rate the bike? (We all know I'm probably going to buy the thing anyway!)
    I've ridden an 8 speed Alfine before and reckon I'd likely go higher than the stock gearing as I'm a bit of a masher.

Not looked at trying to fix a rack to it, but all the mounts etc.. are there and i don't see how the mudguards could conflict in this case.

If i remember correctly they are Sks mudguards in 28mm. you can fit a wider mudguard in the frame. I'm currently running 25mm gatorskins on the front and an armadillo on the rear.

I think it's a great bike, rides well and the hub gear is good for commuting. Only niggles for me are changing a puncture on the rear. Involves taking the rear mounts of the mudguard off, removing the chain (the way my brakes are set up it means i've got too much tension to just slip the chain of the front cog, any less tension and the chain would fall off whilst riding) and then you can remove the wheel.
    It's also worth noting that the mechanical brakes will need adjusting quite a bit over time, a small turn with an allen key does the trick to re-positin the fixed pad closer to the disc.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Cool, sounds perfect. Thanks.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • GAZ
    Is it really that orange? If I get this bike I dont want no pishy warm orange color and your pics look way better than the ones I see in the shops online. I have pretty well made my mind up on this one, going for a test ride in a few days, tho' have never seen one in the real not just yet . .