Bike mechanic qualifications ?

ijh66
ijh66 Posts: 122
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Hi guys, any of you working in the cycle industry ? Can you tell me what qualifications I would need to work as a shop mechanic please, i am quite competent having built up most of my own bikes myself but obviously I would need a qualification to work in a shop,
Thanks in advance for any help. Ian

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    depends on the shop.

Cytech is the industry standard.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ijh66
    Looked at cytech website but the courses are too costly for me, think they were over 1k.
  • Why do you think you need a qualification? Lots of people work in various professions without any formal qualifications to their name.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    In the real world it shouldnt matter what the peice of paper says, i know a couple of people who have there cytech and still have problems tieing the shoe laces.

The certificate dont really mean they can fix ya bike, i wouldnt let either of them loose on mine.

It says OXO on buses but they dont sell it.
  • ijh66
    I know what your saying I've come across those types many times they're probably the reason I learnt to do the work myself, but would a shop give me a chance against another applicant with a certificate to their name?
  • having cytech is good, and will definatley give you an advantage over another job candidate who doesnt have one, but when i got into the bike industry, i made a breakthrough by using a very in depth covering letter, explaining EXACTLY what i could do, and as a result, didnt even have an interview, they just asked me when i could start.
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS