Cycle show 2010 London

rob0070
rob0070 Posts: 60
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Took a day off work to visit the cycle show at Earls Court yesterday the 8th, wish I had not bothered.
Lots of shiny new bikes and some new gadgets but , DULL DULL DULL, my god not even the advertised mountain bike course was in sight, just a few people spinning round on commuters.
I was a little dispapointed 2 years ago but left after an hour this year.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Think I may skip it then. It would take me an hour and a half to get there, plus £15 on the train and another £15 to get in. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort.

The map shows a big mountain bike area on the right though. I'd be mainly interested in places selling MTB gear, ideally cheap.
  • rob0070
    rob0070 Posts: 60
    deadkenny wrote:
    Think I may skip it then. It would take me an hour and a half to get there, plus £15 on the train and another £15 to get in. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort.

The map shows a big mountain bike area on the right though. I'd be mainly interested in places selling MTB gear, ideally cheap.

Better having a look round a decent evans store !!! Its cheaper.
  • ianlash
    ianlash Posts: 147
    The MTB course was definitely there, on the opposite side to the commuter bikes test area. It was quite a big area. There were a lot more people there yesterday than when I went last year. Fewer large manufacturers, so lots of smaller companies.

I think there is something at Exel early next year, which is where the larger manufacturers are going to show. The Cycle Show will be at the NEC in 2011.

I didn't pay £15 to get in though, amd I work in London, so it was worth the trip for me.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    you can get get in for £11 with this link
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/09 ... ycle-show/
    But I woundn't bother, just got back, bloody waste of time. Hardly a show case for the uk bike scene. Pretty embarrassing really.
    Don't think, BE:
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    I agree! Total waste of time. Although I appreciate there has to be a certain level of diversity there to appeal to all ages etc., there just wasnt enough there. Most of what was there people will already have seen.

It'll take an almighty effort from the organisers to get me up to the NEC next year to see it.
  • Black
    Black Posts: 172
    It was crap, but OK if you wanted a road bike
    But i did hear it was going to be last one has
    the bike show will be held at Birmingham for now on.
  • +1, agree the show was pretty poor quality in comparison to previous years. It was only saved by the presence on a few gems (depending on your perspective). HED wheels, Royce, Shutt VR and a few more.

Firstly the venue wasn't effectively utilised, it appear that they (the organisers) were trying to make it look more full than it really was?

Secondly, when the show was at Excel, they really failed to make the most of it, Poor use of the outside facilities and a general sense of in ability to use that amount of space (IMO).

So, their argument that they are moving to Biringham for "expansion plans" sounds like sh*te. They couldn't cope with the space in London (Excel) and failed to mange the space at Earls court. Sounds like a new way of failing after their recent failings.

Good thing is that they've gotten so bad at it, next year I'm going to Eurobike instead.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    not very good, better selection from wheelbase half a mile from my front door. :x
  • I managed to blag a ticket for the trade and press day so it was free - handy!

I was very disappointed with the selection of bike to play with on the north shore track. One bike even had a bloody bike rack on it!!!

I did have a go on a little penny farthing that was fun though on the commuter track.

Have got to agree it was a bit dull with not enough MTB stuff for my liking.
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Had a good time there on Friday, interesting to see some of the bikes I'd read about close up, also interesting to see Chippo in the flesh and hear what he had to say. Looking forward to the show next year at the NEC.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR