Whistler!!

simmo70
simmo70 Posts: 72
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Hi

Has anyone any experience and advice on riding in whistler looking at going for about 10 days and would like to book a package where maybe flight is included any recomendations on who to book through and where best to stay.

Cheers.

Comments

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    How much money have you got? Loads of places to stay there, depends on your budget
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Nope, but I'll be going next year.

We're going to take the best value between Ticket2rideBC and Bear Back Riding as soon as 2011 dates are released.

We figure, that when you take in the stupid price of food / beer in the alps into account, it wont cost us any more to go to whistler.

We're budgeting £900 - £1000 ish for 10 days full board inc flights.
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    I've been. There is a campsite, which accomodates Rv and tents.
    The place isn't cheap to eat or drink but there's a great supermarket (nestars), so packed lunches are the way to go.
    Bearback riding get good reviews and bushpilot is supposed to be mega.
    Depends what sort of riding you're after.
    The zappa trails in lost lake park are like red graded UK trails but there's not a massive amount there. Trail maps are available for the other rides and they are waymarked, I don't think you'd need a guide. I rode kill me thrill me alone with no probs.
    http://www.bearbackbiking.com/
    http://bushpilotbiking.com/
    FWIW, do NOT ignore squamish. The riding is unbelievable and tantalus bikes are the most helpful bike shop I've ever been in to.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    No, but Roger Whittaker was very good at whistling.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    If you want a bit of freedom, fly out, train to Whistler from Vancouver and then stay in a campsite near town. Then if you're fed up with the bike park you can rent a car or get a bus down to Squamish, down to the North Shore or even head down to the US and ride around Bellingham.
  • Been to Whistler the last 6 years, we normally go about June 25 as the park is open until 8pm from about 20 June, Probably can't give you much advice on where to stay, I'm one of those horrible posh twats who stays at the 4 seasons for the three weeks.

Riding though - usual stuff - take plenty of tubes and tyres, brake pads and think about taking a spare seat collar AND A REAR MECH HANGER, this has caught me out before, Take a bigger bike than you think you'll need - my first year I was totally underbiked and had to hire a big bike and it cost a shedload of money. Don't take yourself too seriously, there are lots of very quick riders out in Whistler; nobody is racing. You may be the daddy on your local loop but these boys and girls ride hard.

Nightlife - Tapley's shows premier league and lots more, if you're under 25 go to the Longhorn. Great place and awesome riding though, if you love biking you'll have a great time,
  • we go to whistler twice a year, it's an amzing place. and there are some good deals to be had. we always stay with bearbackbiking. www.bearbackbiking.com
    the set up that mark and jonny have is amazing. their prices are great to. i recomend them, you wont be dissapointed,
    regarding your comment about high prices for food and beer in the alps, be warned whistler is a rip off to mate, beer food and pretty much everything else is expensive, bike parts are ridiculous so as the other guy said make sure you take spares with you.
    we usually fly with canadian affair (thomas cook flight) and stay with bearback, 2 weeks should roughly be just over a grand. drop mark or jonny and email see what kind of deal they will do for you.