Campag 2011 powershift levers - trimmable function?

burdturglar
burdturglar Posts: 10
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I am a bit clueless about the ability of the 2011 athena group shiftes (and those below) to trim at the front derailleur. The new "powershift" mechanism seems to be a return to escape - as you can only downshift one gear at a time. This seems to indicate the levers won't trim.

However, the campag website states that they have "front derailleur micro-adjustment possibility". Anyone have any idea what this means and whether the escape system makes them effectively untrimmable? I want to know as I am keen to use them in a shimergo setup
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I assume the trim is similar to the 2010 variety, so trimming the front mech is a doddle. The downshift does indeed drop a single movement to the lower ring, but trim is acheived by smaller movement back up on the upshift lever.

It becomes second nature after a short while.
  • I did wonder about that - but don't you need to be able to trim from both directions in order to correct chain rub from either side of the front derailleur cage?
  • ajb72
    I understand exactly why you would expect that, but the system just doesn't need that level of fine adjustment in both directions. Once you have set the front mech up correctly using the screw adjusters, the mech should only ever travel so far in either direction.

As long as you are able to make light adjustment via the trim in one direction, it doesn't really matter whether that is up or down. In reality, as long as you are avoiding the 'large chainring/large cog, small chainring/small cog' scenario to avoid extra stress on the chain, the amount of trim needed on 11 speed is pretty tiny. I find I might use an extra click of trim from perhaps the 5th cog, then one more for 8/9 upwards, and generally less on the smaller chainring.

As I say, not much of an issue, although I will add that setting up the front mech initially was one of the more fiddlly jobs I've encountered on Campagnolo!
  • Thanks for the info ajb. I want to use the levers with a shimergo setup (ie with a shimano 8/9spd drive train). Since the cable pull is different for shimano front mechs, they would require a non indexed campag left shifter. I know this setup forks with the ultrashift mechanism (but not very well with quickshift/escape due to the small number of detentes and limited trimming ability). I just haven't been able to find out if the 2011 powershift mechanism levers are compatible.
  • ajb72
    Sorry I cannot shed any light on that one. I've always been Campag obsessed, the thought of mixing them with a 'lesser brand' would give me nightmares!! :wink:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Thanks for the info ajb. I want to use the levers with a shimergo setup (ie with a shimano 8/9spd drive train). Since the cable pull is different for shimano front mechs, they would require a non indexed campag left shifter. I know this setup forks with the ultrashift mechanism (but not very well with quickshift/escape due to the small number of detentes and limited trimming ability). I just haven't been able to find out if the 2011 powershift mechanism levers are compatible.

Dont be silly
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    I think you will be fine. Have a look at Campagnolo the tech docs for 2011. The Veloce and Centaur 2011 ergos are listed as being compatible with 2010 front mechs, and also as having the same number of small clicks.

But can't you find some Ultrashifts? They should still be available some places, and you get multiple upshift.