a quick question on Gusset slim jim pedals

antonyfromoz
antonyfromoz Posts: 482
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

firstly, let me say that while this is my first post on the mountain bike forum I have been lurking and learning for a while and really appreciate the advice that can be found here. My specific question concerns a pair of Gusset slim jim pedals (the mag ones) that I have bought to replace the pretty shocking set that came as standard on my bike. I do not have any experience with these types of flat pedals before - my other bikes all either stayed with the original pedals or they were replaced by Look clipless. Anyway, I have just put the pedals on and they are not moving at all freely, which is the opposite of my experience when I have installed clipless pedals in the past - they will rotate but you have to push them around. Is this normal and will the bearings start to move more easily with use or is it something I should investigate further?

Any assistance appreciated!

Cheers,

Antony

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They do tend to loosen up after a bit of riding.

Are they sealed cartridge bearings? These tend to have tight seals and thick grease.

Smooth is fine. Grinding or notchy is not.
  • If they're new they'll need a while to settle and get the grease moving.

I just serviced mine and they were a bit stiff and 1st...
  • Thank you for the feedback - they are the mag ones with the sealed bearings so it sounds like all is well. When I rotate them there is no grinding, just a much higher level of resistance than I was expecting. Cheers!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is normal.

PS they dont have rubber sealed bearings. the outer one is a bearing and the inner is a bush.

hear is a pic of the bearing and bush and the service kit.

img0373j.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Interestingly, while I was looking for pedals and searching Google I discovered that these are another Wellgo pedal as apparently are the Octane One Static Pro pedals so they really are a prolific company. The bearing/bush combination seems to be pretty standard with their pedals too.

I got out in my garden today and mucked around for a bit trying to learn how to bunny hop etc with a predictable result - first blood to the Slim Jims! :(

I really should remember that saying about old dogs and new tricks...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep there are many many re badged Wellgo MG-52 & LU-A52 pedals.

Gusset were one of the first to brand them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown