SS conversion questions

JonS123
JonS123 Posts: 171
edited October 2010 in The workshop
Been riding the old MTB with slicks this week, and have decided to convert it to a SS, first step will be to get one of those kits that goes on the freehub.

Currently I have a 42T big ring on the chainset, and can manage to just about get up the steepest hill on a 18T on the rear cassette (though the 21 is more comfortable) - should I go for a 18T rear cog or consider a 16T? or since i will be having to get a new chainset shortly (wear and tear :D) get a completely different setup which allows for more flexibility in the future?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd run either an 18T or 20T on the rear so you can get up that hill, I envy people with such flat commutes as I use 46/27 at best on my steepest climb (46/32 when feeling less than 100%).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    I'd go with the 16, otherwise you'll find yourself spinning out on the rest of the commute and it's good hill training. Pedals are much easier to push without the whole mech thing in the way too.