Muc off bike cleaner

damo2576
damo2576 Posts: 236
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Hi,
Is Muc Off bike cleaner any good?
What other alternative cleaners are there?
Thanks!

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I use muc-off. As long as you dont leave it on too long (it can damage paint work) its fine. If you spray it then leave for about a minute then hose down your bike will be pretty clean and sparkly again!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • I used to use MucOff but have now permanently switch to Fenwicks, it's more cost effective, it seems to be just as good at getting the job done as MucOff IMHO, it also smells so good I'm tempted to take a sip. :wink:
  • Hope Sh1tShifter
  • RallyBiker wrote:
    Hope Sh1tShifter

Switched from muc-off to sh1tshifter,does the same job as muc-off,but I feel its not as agressive on paintwork/alloy parts.
  • guuuch
    guuuch Posts: 28
    dilute the muc-off 50-50 with water, works well.
    Orange 5
    Orange P7 ..... I think
    Psycle Werks Wild Hare
    Scott Genius 10......For the misses
  • I use fenwicks fs-10 and does the job. Says on the bottle its safe on disc brakes, although havent took the risk.
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • bones3027
    bones3027 Posts: 152
    +1 fenwicks never had a problem with it on my brakes just spray the whole bike leave for 2-3 mins rinse off and you have a shiny new bike again
  • evernas
    evernas Posts: 43
    I use ordinary washing liquid mixed with water but hot one.cost less than muck-off and does same job. :D
    Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    washing up liquid contains high levels of salt so not good on steel, or alloy parts

I'm using muc off at the moment as I got it for free :) once that runs out I'll use the watered down industrial TFR I have from when I worked for a truck wash :lol:
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    GTD - I wouldn't worry too much about the salt in washing up liquid if it;s well rinsed and oiled.

That stuff you suggest has 'corrosive' in orange on the bottle, not sure exactly what it's corrosive to, but i wouldn't let it near my bike as it's very far removed from a truck.
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    +1 for fenwicks, I got fs1 and dilute with 10 parts water, makes fs10, works out less than £1 per liter, works just aswell as muc-off. Shame i can't say the same for Fenwicks wet lube it's crap.
  • evernas wrote:
    I use ordinary washing liquid mixed with water but hot one.cost less than muck-off and does same job. :D

too true. agree completley, and if buffed nicely with a leather chammy cloth, looks good too.
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    A lot of TFR is slightly caustic but the stuff I was using was the non caustic type. that said its stronger and works better than Muc Off but I water it down a lot. Still got half a drum of Selscale too but I wont use that on my bike. It was speced by one haulier for removing brake dust form wheels... hydrochloric acid based and smells like a school chemistry lab sink. good at cleaning aluminium but I wouldnt leave it on too long :lol: but its a lot safer than Hydrofluoric acid that some guys use for ally cleaning :roll:
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • Been using the Bike Ninja's BCB product for the last few months , neat for oily hands, diluted for the bike, - wont be going back to Muc-off - the stuff is superb ! -
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    WierdBeard wrote:
    I use fenwicks fs-10 and does the job. Says on the bottle its safe on disc brakes, although havent took the risk.
    I've been spraying Fenwicks on my callipers/rotors and pads for years,doesn't do owt but clean them 8)I just spray it everywhere.
    GTD. wrote:
    washing up liquid contains high levels of salt so not good on steel, or alloy parts

It does but when it's hosed off it's diluted so much it's totally harmless,It'd cause a bit of corrosion if you left it on for a few weeks :wink:
  • damo2576
    And with these cleaners do you basically just spray on, leave then hose off? And all the dirt just falls off?
  • damo2576 wrote:
    And with these cleaners do you basically just spray on, leave then hose off? And all the dirt just falls off?

You may need to do a few coats, or scrub a little, but they are lovely little products.
  • damo2576
    Thanks.

Is it an Irritant or anything - do you have to wear gloves when using?
  • I used Muc Off for the first time today and had two variants, I had the usual general purpose cleaner which was pink in a schooshy bottle, I used this all over and was very impressed with how it worked.

Secondly, I had bought some Muc Off degreaser which was a Black Aerosol can. I used this in particular on the drive train and again, the cleaning power of this was pretty impressive. I also gave the chain a bath with the cleaning tool I have and then a fresh layering of lube, my two bikes are gleaming like they are new. 8-)

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • I've been using Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner on the bike.
    It works well on my motorbike and car and seems ok on the mountain bike as well :)
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Cheap car shampoo and this stuff on the moving bits, comes up like new...

http://www.mykal.co.uk/industrial/pages/degreasing_cold_solvent_cleaning_high_performance_degreaser_dsi_1000.htm
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just water generally, and a spot of washing up liquid in the chain cleaner.

Rarely does it need much more or any fancy cleaning products. Once in a while I'll take the rear cassette off and stick it in the sink for a good soak and clean.

I don't go for sparkling clean look. I just remove the mud and wipe down, dry, then re-lube everything after.

In the summer on a dry day it may even only need a duster to remove the dust, bit of a wash around the chainset, and re-lube.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    wash up liquid every few rides - I dont generally bother with a full clean every time even if its caked - if I know I am going again the next day who cares. If its going to be a while I'll wash it.

I rinse, soap up, agitate, rinse, GT spray on chain and pedals and what not to lube up the moving parts, allow that to dry and oil the chain. Occassionally I get a bit more thorough and wipe over the frame with a GT soaked cloth to drive off the water. Probably not the best for the paint but my bikes not that new.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • A bucket of warm soapy water and a big sponge. Then a hose down to clean it all off.

Every now and again I give it a more thorough going over - muc off, a wheel brush and a bit of elbow grease.
  • I used to use a bucket of hot soapy water (soap being from whatever washing up product I had normally some car shampoo and wax formula) - recently I've been using Pedro's Green Fizz - stuff is seriously good on the frame/wheels but isn't strong enough for the drivetrain - not a huge issue as I use a wax-based lube on the chain and it's tending to keep the drivetrain clean as well.

Spray on, leave for a minute then rinse off, if I'm feeling particularly energetic then I'll give the bike a scrub as well but that is more to make me feel as though I'm doing something to clean the bike.

Soapy water works very well but does require a bit of effort (as in you don't just spray it on leave for a minute and rinse off), it's cheaper than these sprays but not as quick and easy...

Pedro's Green Fizz superb stuff (bought it from Flying Fox Bikes in Alva at a rather good price as well!)
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Neil A
    Neil A Posts: 59
    RallyBiker wrote:
    Hope Sh1tShifter

+1 Great stuff.

Wouldn't touch the Fenwicks stuff with a barge pole - complete waste of time.

Fairy Liquid is pretty good as it has degreasing properties.
    1998 Chas Roberts Compact Racing 531 "The Iron Lady" | 2010 Felt F4 | 2007 Santa Cruz Heckler
  • I use Muc-Off but was thinking of trying Pro Clean next; no reason other than for a change.
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Cheap car shampoo ( has no salt content ) does the job fine and you dont pay over inflated prices like you do for muck off, it goes a lot further too.
  • Neil A wrote:
    RallyBiker wrote:
    Hope Sh1tShifter

Wouldn't touch the Fenwicks stuff with a barge pole - complete waste of time.

Yet many of us find it works well, I suppose Internet, Opinions and Ar$eholes spring to mind.

Perhaps you have poor technique. :D