LA 99 Retests

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited November 2010 in Pro race
From the Contador Clenbuterol thread
sherer wrote:
This is what LA used with the 99 retests that were done. They were done on the B sample as I thikn the A had already been tested. As such they can't do another analyse to prove the results and so according to WADA rules it isn't a positive.

I've heard this referred to many times, often surrounded by much conjecture.
Could somebody tell me the facts please.
What do the UCI, WADA etc say?

I know I know, I'm opening up a big can of worms, people are going to argue about what is and what isn't fact.
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    The 'retests' weren't retests at all. It was just research. The testing lab were using the 1999 B samples to practice and refine their detection techniques, not to try to catch dopers. So no protocols were dogmatically adhered to.

The results wouldn't be admissible in any reasonable court as far as I can see (as a non-lawyer).

More info here:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2005/08/tour-de-france/lequipe-alleges-armstrong-samples-show-epo-use-in-99-tour_8740
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Thanks Rich

Basically an inadmissable +ve then.

EDIT According to L'Equipe that is
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There is a view that under the principle of 'absolute liability', there is no need for a B Test where you are talking about the presence of any synthetic substance as there is no naturally incurring reason for it to be there e.g. Contador's plasticizer or LA's EPO.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,427
    Monty Dog wrote:
    There is a view that under the principle of 'absolute liability', there is no need for a B Test where you are talking about the presence of any synthetic substance as there is no naturally incurring reason for it to be there e.g. Contador's plasticizer or LA's EPO.

That's a poorly thought out view then. The B test is required to validate the accuracy of the A test and the purity of the sample.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    while we're talking in the past tense (as usual), how about Marice Garin's 1903 B sample retests?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:
    while we're talking in the past tense (as usual), how about Marice Garin's 1903 B sample retests?

Can't, there were no anti-doping rules for him to break.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Can't, there were no anti-doping rules for him to break.

no shhit :shock: you aren't the moderate you were back 2004 Iainf :roll:
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Dave_1 wrote:

Did you race with him?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    Attica wrote:
    From the Contador Clenbuterol thread
    sherer wrote:
    This is what LA used with the 99 retests that were done. They were done on the B sample as I thikn the A had already been tested. As such they can't do another analyse to prove the results and so according to WADA rules it isn't a positive.

I've heard this referred to many times, often surrounded by much conjecture.
    Could somebody tell me the facts please.
    What do the UCI, WADA etc say?

I know I know, I'm opening up a big can of worms, people are going to argue about what is and what isn't fact.

This interview gives a pretty good summary (long but interesting):

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interview ... l-ashenden
  • dave_1
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Did you race with him?

what race food! Garin used booze. Legal today? :lol::D
    His first true professional win was in a 24-hour race in Paris in 1893[n 2] It was held on the Champ de Mars, site of the Eiffel Tower. The riders competed, as was the custom, behind a succession of pacers. The event took place in February and the cold drove out riders one after the other. Garin rode 701 km in 24 hours, beating the only other rider to finish by 49 km. Garin said he had survived on [9]
    lots of strong red wine
    19 litres of hot chocolate
    seven litres of tea
    eight cooked eggs
    a mix of coffee and champagne
    45 cutlets
    five litres of tapioca
    two kilos of rice
    and oysters.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Dave_1 wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Did you race with him?

His first true professional win was in a 24-hour race in Paris in 1893[n 2] It was held on the Champ de Mars, site of the Eiffel Tower. The riders competed, as was the custom, behind a succession of pacers. The event took place in February and the cold drove out riders one after the other. Garin rode 701 km in 24 hours, beating the only other rider to finish by 49 km. Garin said he had survived on [9]
    lots of strong red wine
    19 litres of hot chocolate
    seven litres of tea
    eight cooked eggs
    a mix of coffee and champagne
    45 cutlets
    five litres of tapioca
    two kilos of rice
    and oysters.

I bet the cutlets had clen in them!!!!
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Those early races were nuts. More like Dick Dasterdly's wacky races then anything that goes on today. Some of the racers used to take bags of round headed tacks (so that the point would face up) with them to nobble the following cyclists.

What a laugh! :D

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Dave_1 wrote:

Andy Schleck: Old School doper. :)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Monty Dog wrote:

weren't LAs samples "too clean" i.e the masking agent had removed ALL EPO from the samples even though everyone has it as it is a natural body product. Could be wrong there
  • Official: Armstrong investigators in France
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap ... ong-doping
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The 'retests' weren't retests at all. It was just research. The testing lab were using the 1999 B samples to practice and refine their detection techniques, not to try to catch dopers. So no protocols were dogmatically adhered to.

The results wouldn't be admissible in any reasonable court as far as I can see (as a non-lawyer).

More info here:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2005/08/tour-de-france/lequipe-alleges-armstrong-samples-show-epo-use-in-99-tour_8740
    That bit is not true.