Doored by a Bentley!

el_presidente
el_presidente Posts: 1,963
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Filtering up the inside of a queue yesterday evening, taking it relatively easy when the aforementioned door opened directly in my path leaving me zero time to react. It did knock me off but I was not going too fast, so damage to me was a couple of bruises and the bike has only a small tear in the bar tape and a smear of blue Bentley paint on the brake lever.

The perpetrator was extremely apologetic and no harm done so we went on our way. Be careful out there people and expect the unexpected.
<a>road</a>

Comments

• I was surprised you didn’t see the liveried chauffeur walking around the car to open the door :wink:
  • Ah, you can't beat the sensation of bouncing off polished walnut and finest Italian calf leather
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Convertible V8 turbo, walnut veneer panelling. Marvellous machine.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    SUE THEM!!

At lest you have a good story to tell, especially if you add a bit about all the blood pouring down onto their lambs pubic hair floor mats :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My dad always said if your going to get knocked down make sure its either by a Roll Royce or an ambulance
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW no one has mentioned the somewhat unwritten rule that you never get closer to a car than a doors open width. This is basically the law of the land in urban riding. Never closer... doors width.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    at least it was a Bentley, I was nearly totalled by a Nissan Micra today......dear god the shame! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    NGale wrote:
    at least it was a Bentley, I was nearly totalled by a Nissan Micra today......dear god the shame! :oops: :oops: :oops:

At least you stand a chance of writing off the Micra too
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    you dont want it to be an ambulance, tend to be quite solid.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    rhann wrote:

yeah and paramedics have a tendancy to panic as they did with me when one of the local crew hit me as I was leaving work....which was for the ambulance service! :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    One of the blokes at work hit/got hit by an ambulance. He wasn't badly hurt but phoned in work from the scene and asked what to do. "jump in the back of the ambulance" came the reply from HR :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,181
    dennisn wrote:
    FWIW no one has mentioned the somewhat unwritten rule that you never get closer to a car than a doors open width. This is basically the law of the land in urban riding. Never closer... doors width.
    Try commuting in London - roads can be narrow with cars parked on both sides - sometimes that 'law' just isn't possible or safe.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    dennisn wrote:
    With the length of some Bentley convertable doors being wider than your average car when open, that may create a problem!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    NGale wrote:
    rhann wrote:

yeah and paramedics have a tendancy to panic as they did with me when one of the local crew hit me as I was leaving work....which was for the ambulance service! :shock: :shock:

LOL I was once having a chat with a Paramedic about a colleague who'd had a prang, hit another car when on a shout - no injuries and the other driver's fault

"What a nightmare" said I, thinking of the passenger they had on board

"Yeah, I know, the paperwork was horrendous" :shock: :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I got badly cut up by a Rolls once when couriering. He was driving fast and agressively. I was only on a small bike so I chased him down. He stopped in traffic (Bond Street) and I came round the passenger side and as I did so I slapped hard on his rear window to indicate my displeasure. As I did so, the passenger threw open his door and tried to collect me as I went past :shock: Fortunately I was able to avoid it but I did the "discretion greater than valour" thing and bogged off - wasn't going to hang around for someone who was trying to knock me off my bike on purpose!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    At least it was not a Land Rover - those things are hard and sharp!

Nice soft leather and bookmatched walnut to soften the blow (hope you are okay!).

If it had been a Mercedes SLS - It would have decapitated you!

mercedes_sls_amg.jpg
  • Bruises have turned an interesting colour but otherwise I am fine. I was filtering up the inside so not possible to stay a door's width away, I was going fairly slowly but the door opened it at the last possible minute leaving me no time to even grab the brakes. If it had been the next car in the queue I reckon I would have stopped in time, ho hum.
    <a>road</a>