OK, really, top speed on the flat?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
In the SCR thread I'm hearing lots of very high twenties. The odd low thirties.

I'm riding fixed on my main bike and spin out at 26 according to my 6 sattelite GPS. Reckon I could pull a few more mph on the roadie in top, but haven't touched it in a few months so the theory is unproven.

What can you kiss?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Done around 120 mph.

Oh on a bike.... High 20s, low 30s briefly. I've set off the odd speed camera, but usually gradient assisted.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hard to know whether you're on the flat or not really, have hit mid 30s in Richmond Park, think it was level but not sure. Definitely a big tailwind though!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Depends on loads of factors. Road condition, surface smoothness, wind direction, heat, tyre pressure, aerodynamics, height above sea level, etc....

My limiting factor seems road smoothness. I can easily keep up with cars on flat smooth roads, buy as soon as the surface gets bumpy, its down by 5-7mph.

I've even set off my local 30 speed sign (No cars behind) for fun.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    With no wind I can hold 25 for a while, I can cruise at 23 for most of the commute. On the flat I can get just over 30, briefly. If there's something to get a draft from, like the 3 police vans on Embankment this morning I can do 30 all day ;)
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    186mph.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I've even set off my local 30 speed sign (No cars behind) for fun.

I've never been convinced that those signs are well calibrated.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • SimonAH
    Interestingly, and this is based on solid evidence using my digital speedo on my motorcycle (which I've calibrated against six sattelite satnav and I know to be spot on) you need around 34mph to set off those cameras - so you've been zooming sir!

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've set off one of those signs saying i was doing 26mph when my gps said i was doing 22mph.

As for top speed, same as Wrath Rob.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • flat road can manage 30 for about a mile or so, helps if there are cars in the near distance to use as a stimulus. Managed 33 this morning through New Cross on the new bit of road but I think thats slightly downhill.

Normally can sit around 22ish quite comfortably
    FCN 8/9 (I think)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    SimonAH wrote:
    Interestingly, and this is based on solid evidence using my digital speedo on my motorcycle (which I've calibrated against six sattelite satnav and I know to be spot on) you need around 34mph to set off those cameras - so you've been zooming sir!

That's because there's always about 10% leeway on all speed limits, I think that's pretty much police policy because back 40-50 years ago speedos in cars could easily be inaccurate by 10% so they gave people the benefit of the doubt. Obviously technology has moved on since then but the leeway is the same.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I hit 88mph on the way home last night and ended up in 1955!

The problem with this is how flat is flat? Even a slight gradient can make a big difference, and then you have issues of wind and drafting.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    SimonAH wrote:

Not camera - the signs that light up to indicate you're going too fast (Which is what I believe the OP was talking about.) Many a time going under 30 (based on my speedo, satnav & talex)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Headhuunter
    Graeme_S wrote:

The problem with this is how flat is flat? Even a slight gradient can make a big difference, and then you have issues of wind and drafting.

Talking of which I'm going to watch the original Back to the Future on the big screen in Covent tonight! Retro.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I reckon similar to most. Standard commuting speed seems to be about 20mph, upto 25mph if passing, 27mph if pushing a bit, but that seems to be almost regardless of whether there's a breeze or bit of an incline etc. GPS reckons I'll push past 30 occasionally and expect that'll be with a kind wind, or a little tow or similar.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    dhope wrote:
    I reckon similar to most. Standard commuting speed seems to be about 20mph, upto 25mph if passing, 27mph if pushing a bit, but that seems to be almost regardless of whether there's a breeze or bit of an incline etc. GPS reckons I'll push past 30 occasionally and expect that'll be with a kind wind, or a little tow or similar.

+1 my sentiments (and speed) exactly sir

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Graeme_S wrote:

Talking of which I'm going to watch the original Back to the Future on the big screen in Covent tonight! Retro.
    I went to see it in Covent(ry) last night, which is what inspired my comment. Enjoy, it's worth seeing on a big screen.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yeesh.

I cruise between 16 and 18 most days. I'll see 23 when I'm pushing but need any kind of downhil to be comfortable over 20. :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yeesh.

I cruise between 16 and 18 most days. I'll see 23 when I'm pushing but need any kind of downhil to be comfortable over 20. :oops:

It's all the cape's fault.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I don't understand old numbers (I was born post-Enlightenment ;) ).

I like to ride at 30kph (20mph?), but go up to 35kph on a good day, and have touched 40kph on the flat, though that's rare.

I'm not one of the fastest out there, but one of the faster in the peleton along CS7. I
    Riding on 531
  • SimonAH
    30kph = 18.6 mph
    35 = 21.7
    40 = 24.9

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Wot Mat said.

I regularly do 32+ up millbank but there is a nice little ramp going past the morpeth: free speed ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Headhuunter
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

I went to see it in Covent(ry) last night, which is what inspired my comment. Enjoy, it's worth seeing on a big screen.

I meant Covent Garden! I saw it on the big screen back in 1985 on my 13th birthday.... Damn I've just revealed my age...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Wot Mat said.

I regularly do 32+ up millbank but there is a nice little ramp going past the morpeth: free speed ;)

Bit less than these lads.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • On the flat, no wind, nice road surface: Cruising speed of about 20 - 22 mph, fast cruising 22 - 24mph, full-blooded SCR/dicking about? Whatever it takes? I can hit 33 most times when required.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    SimonAH wrote:
    30kph = 18.6 mph
    35 = 21.7
    40 = 24.9

all this time i've been hitting 40kph and thinking it was 25mph when its actually 24.85mph :cry:

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

I meant Covent Garden! I saw it on the big screen back in 1985 on my 13th birthday.... Damn I've just revealed my age...

Worryingly, I calculated the 38 and the thought "about 15years older than me then" flitted through my head. Then I remembered I turned 29 a month ago and that's really not 15 years at all. sigh.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    dhope wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

Worryingly, I calculated the 38 and the thought "about 15years older than me then" flitted through my head. Then I remembered I turned 29 a month ago and that's really not 15 years at all. sigh.

Actually I'm 37 until Dec.... Goddamit at this age you cling to every year as long as possible! So only 8 years 9 months between us....
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    JonGinge wrote:
    Wot Mat said.

Indeed, Millbank is not flat in either direction I've scraped just past 32mph once there, but I wouldn't count that here. Neither is DSC. I reckon Vic. Embankment between Temple and Blackfriars is not far off, and I've touched 30 on occasion along there, but it usually needs to be a Monday morning, with another cyclist or scooter acting as the hare.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    There's a bit of road between Botolph Claydon & Calvert that's baby smooth, downhill in both directions and always has a favourable wind at either end of the day. I usually expect to see min 27mph along there for a good way before it starts to ramp up a little and the speed drops to the low 20s for a short while.

Normal crusing - anything below 19 is a disappointment, low 20s is good but an effort to keep up, and that silly mantra of hitting 30 on every ride still sticks with me, so I do.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Wot Mat said.

Indeed, Millbank is not flat in either direction I've scraped just past 32mph once there, but I wouldn't count that here. Neither is DSC. I reckon Vic. Embankment between Temple and Blackfriars is not far off, and I've touched 30 on occasion along there, but it usually needs to be a Monday morning, with another cyclist or scooter acting as the hare.

There's a tailwind tonight, so time to put the hammer down to find out :) .

Dinner plans tonight, so the training session prescribed by my coach for this evening's trip home is called "Don't You Dare Be Late".
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."