Which extra item would you put on?

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Sometime between getting changed this evening and wheeliing my bike out onto the street it started raining. I had a variety of extra bits of clothing in my bag and just chose one to put on.

Initially I had bib shorts, short sleeve base layer, short sleeve jersey, knee warmers, , helmet, specs, fingerless gloves, socks and shoes on.

Just wondering what others would have chosen.

Poll reflects the contents of my rucksack
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Blimey. I had rolled-up jeans and a T-shirt.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Why only one?

Why not waterproof jacket and overshoes for example?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    None at all. MTFUK you wimp.

Tee shirt and jeans today both ways on the commute (investing way too much trust in the forecast, but for once they were vindicated.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Raining lightly: arm warmers.

Raining hard: waterproof jacket.

I'm carrying three of those five items at the mo, and will do so till late spring. The overshoes will join them in my bag soon too. For now I carry Assos toe warmers.

Don't have a buff. Have a Helly thin polypropylene skull cap thing for when it gets really cold. That stays in the bag too.

Jeez Attica, we could swap bags and be fine.

As for the rest of you lot, were none of you ever boy scouts?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • attica
    @ketsabia & Simon, jeans for a 15 mile each way commute - no thanks, I like my knackers the way they are!

@EKE, only one because that's all I put on.

@Greg66 Nice work, when it gets colder I'll start carrying one of those ear warmer headband thingys - combined with the buff makes a good skull cap facsimilie.

Incidentally it was raining quite hard, but no I didn't go with the waterproof jacket
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I've got a 12 mile commute on the way back that takes in the College Hill challenge!

Balls of steel help, of course. :D
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Prefer a cheap Regatta fleece Gillet I bought years ago. Lots of lovely pockets and toastie warm under the Altura rain jacket.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    due to the shortness of my commute i dont carry that much, i always have jacket/gillet in the bag though. might start carrying some overshoes as well for the next month or so until winter boots are the norm
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Overshoes, couldn't bear my sidis to get covered in road muck.
  • attica
    Interesting answers

As it happens I chose the overshoes. Nothing worse than putting on wet shoes for the commute the following morning.

I did consider the arm warmers too, but it was rather mild last night. The waterproof was just going turn me into a sweaty mess.

I got home feeling reasonably comfortable - wouldn't have wanted to wear anything more really. Shoes this morning, dry as a bone...

...then I remembered I had to drive the car today D'Oh!
    Still the reasoning stands
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Overshoes, just because cold feet are the least welcome.
  • Why would you put on anything not waterproof to protect yourself from rain? Arm warmers are just going to get wet and cold, surely?

You're all weird. :P
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'd put the gilet on because mine is pretty water resistant and keeping my core warm and dry is the most important to me.

Kit, including shoes, can be dried overnight so I only care about being warm and dry for the immediate journey.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Gilet for the same reasons above. It also keeps the torso warm if temperature was to become an issue. Don't have arm or leg warmers, or overshoes in fact.
  • attica
    For me, getting wet isn't particularly an issue, if I ride hard enough on a warm day I'm gonna sweat myself wet anyway.

It's getting cold that I try to avoid. (sometimes that does involve keeping dry but not yet this autumn/winter)
    Wet shoes start to stink after a while, hence the overshoes
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Think I'd have done what Greg suggests - I get really hot exercising so it has to be seriously wet before a waterproof jacket keeps out more in rain than it retains in sweat.
    As it happens I chose the overshoes. Nothing worse than putting on wet shoes for the commute the following morning

My answer to this problem is....drum roll... two pairs of shoes. That said, I'll be getting my winter boots out when it gets proper nasty.

In my bag: buff and montane velo jacket. Like I say, I run hot so those will normally keep me plenty warm enough and both pack extremely small. Velo jacket packs the size of a small apple and is windproof/showerproof/highly breathable pertex. I'd use that instead of arm warmers.

I do have a DHB event waterproof jacket and over shorts which I put on if I get up and see monsoon conditions outside but they don't normally travel with me

J
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Gilet for me if anything and onl then if it was looking set in, nails me.

I never wear knee warmers with my arms uncovered though, throws my ensamble all out of balance, dahling.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • attica
    prawny wrote:

I never wear knee warmers with my arms uncovered though, throws my ensamble all out of balance, dahling.

Sweetie, you simply MUST look after your knees
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    heavy rain I'd go for the waterproof jacket and live with wet shoes
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Why would you put on anything not waterproof to protect yourself from rain? Arm warmers are just going to get wet and cold, surely?

You're all weird. :P

Takes a while for the wet/cold to seep through, by which time, with as bit of effort, you'll be chucking out enough heat to counteract the cooling effect of the wind.

ETA: neoprene overshoes first for me every time - Must. Have. Warm. Feet. Then arm warmers, then leg/knee warmers. Almost never a waterproof jacket unless it's proper cold - with a bag on my back, it's only my shoulders that get wet anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Attica wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Sweetie, you simply MUST look after your knees

If it doesn't hurt, you're not doin it right. Now, where's that cod liver oil?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Mmm... I've just got a montane stormrider jacket - very breathable. It actually does work.