Help needed with crank

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Sorry, I would put it in the workshop section, but I need a fairly quick answer.

Assuming the chainline is fine, is there anything necessarily wrong with using a wider axle than that prescribed by a chainset?

Only I need a new chainset for the commuter hack, which is a hub-geared affair, but I can't find any single chainsets that recommend a 112mm axle, which is what the current BB is.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wait.... will the crank even fit if the axle size is larger than is specified?

I'd imagine they need to tie in...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Might be wrong, but I can't see a problem. If I understand correctly, the current set up has quite a wide axle to keep the chain line straight with the wider geared hub. Most single chainsets will be designed for SS/FG use, so will assume a narrower rear hub, and hence recommend a narrower BB axle.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ketsbaia
    Wait.... will the crank even fit if the axle size is larger than is specified?

It's the width rather than the thickness of the axle.
  • ketsbaia
    rjsterry wrote:
    Might be wrong, but I can't see a problem. If I understand correctly, the current set up has quite a wide axle to keep the chain line straight with the wider geared hub. Most single chainsets will be designed for SS/FG use, so will assume a narrower rear hub, and hence recommend a narrower BB axle.

Bingo.

So as long as I've got the chainline OK, it should be fine.
  • ketsbaia wrote:
    Wait.... will the crank even fit if the axle size is larger than is specified?

It's the width rather than the thickness of the axle.

Ahhh my bad. Read properly, self.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    The answer's still yes. :wink:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols