Retro italian race

errorist
errorist Posts: 169
Anyone done this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/o ... taly-retro

If I had a worthy bike I'd love to give it a go.

Comments

• I've done it twice in 2005 and 2006.

It's a fantastic event... the course is majestic and the organisation is great. For the little money you pay, you get goodies, a lot of traditional food, a free meal at the end and you can even sleep for free in the common tent provided by the organisers...

The only downside is that it's just gone. Normally it's the first sunday of October, so you'll have to wait next year

I suggest the 130 Km course, it's challenging enough... unless you are a proper randonneur, then you can attempt the 200 Km... normally the start is very early, from 5 AM onwards, with lights compulsory.

Bear in mind half of it is on gravel and the profile is quite hilly, so realistically you will be averaging 12-13 mph, which means around 10-11 hours for the long course.

I am planning to do it again next year
    left the forum March 2023
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 169
    Sounds good! Think I may definietly try to do it next year.

Just need to find a nice old bike to do it on now.

What did you do it on?
  • I am lucky enough to still own the bike of my teens...

It's a 1984 Sannino Frame (a fellow of the master Gios) with full Campagnolo Super Record groupset.
    Gears are 52X41 at the front and a 7 speed cassette 14-26.
    Ambrosio Starlight clincher rims with 36 spokes. I will probably fit Vittoria pave' as tyres

There are three requirements to enter the Eroica: gear levers on the down tube, cables running outside the bars and cage type pedals.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I did this last week - incredible experience and fantastic hospitaility and organisation from the people of Chianti - best event I've been to in terms of atmosphere, organisation and scenery. Rode the full 205km and belive me the effort should not be under-estimated - 8:46 ride time and 4900m of climbing. I was riding my 1983 Gios and managed to squeeze on a pair of 32mm file-tread cross tubs which were perfect for the bianchi strada - particularly on the downhills with rippled surface, loose gravel and ruts. I was riding 42x28 at it was extremely slow going on sections, particularly after the rain shower - but still going faster than MTBs. Some of the dirt road sections are over 10km and in excess of 20% - rear wheel grip is marginal. I was over with one of the guys from retrobike - for some it took over 15hours!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    I did this last week - incredible experience and fantastic hospitaility and organisation from the people of Chianti - best event I've been to in terms of atmosphere, organisation and scenery. Rode the full 205km and belive me the effort should not be under-estimated - 8:46 ride time and 4900m of climbing. I was riding my 1983 Gios and managed to squeeze on a pair of 32mm file-tread cross tubs which were perfect for the bianchi strada - particularly on the downhills with rippled surface, loose gravel and ruts. I was riding 42x28 at it was extremely slow going on sections, particularly after the rain shower - but still going faster than MTBs. Some of the dirt road sections are over 10km and in excess of 20% - rear wheel grip is marginal. I was over with one of the guys from retrobike - for some it took over 15hours!

I thought MTB had been banned since 2008... when I did it in 2005-6 all bikes were allowed, but only the vintage ones got prizes... then I read that only vintage bikes were allowed.... is this not the case anymore?

I agree 100% with you... it's a fantastic event and very tough... not sure it's got 4900 mt of climbing, but certainly the long one has in excess of 3000... I recall the 135 Km one had 2500. I remeber Monte tre Marie being particularly tough...
  • Monty Dog
    Yup, MTB's have not been allowed for the last few years but as L'eroica is a permanently marked route, there's nothing to prevent members of the public riding the route - I was just drawing a comparison to relative speeds. Most riders go for the shorter 135km which is still plenty tough. Write-up here on Retrobike:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119806
  • I did the 135 Km in 2006 in 6 hours 45 minutes on the computer... real time, God knows, I made sure I tasted everythnig at the food stations...

Did you drink the local Chianti?
  • normally the start is very early, from 5 AM onwards

It's evoking the sppirit of those early bike races of immense distances that used to start before dawn.
  • Monty Dog
    We drove from Giaole from Siena and it was incredible as we drove through Pianna to see the lights of the early riders descending though the trees like fireflies. The top of the first climb to Castello de Brolio was lined with candles - very evocative. A did have a swig of wine at the last stop to 'fortify' my blood! - by then I was past caring.
  • I'm planning on doing this in 2011 or 12. Ugo and monty: thanks for all the encouraging tales and top tips.

Quick question on bike admissability: I have a lovely Roberts, but I think it is 1990. It originally had SiS downtube shifters, and I can refit those plus the pedals. I had heard that only pre-1987 bikes were allowed, Do you think I could get away with it....?

Thanks for any advice
  • expatbore wrote:
    I'm planning on doing this in 2011 or 12. Ugo and monty: thanks for all the encouraging tales and top tips.

Quick question on bike admissability: I have a lovely Roberts, but I think it is 1990. It originally had SiS downtube shifters, and I can refit those plus the pedals. I had heard that only pre-1987 bikes were allowed, Do you think I could get away with it....?

Thanks for any advice

Yes, fit the downtube shifters and old style pedals, make sure the cables run outside the bars and not under the bar tape and you'll be fine.
    Grow a moustache...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Remember, no clipless pedals.
  • Excellent! So they don't ask for certification or anything? I guess they just do a quick visual inspection before the start right? Cheers
  • Monty Dog
    There is no scrutineering, consequently some of the interpretation of the rules are a bit 'loose' - it's more about the 'spirit' of the event. Frankly, turning up on a modern frame made to look 'retro' and then riding it with clipless pedals is a bit of a cop-out. This year the organisers have agree to 'freeze' entries at the present level to preserve the character rather than another 'me-too' fondo/sportive.
  • cheers MD
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I planned on doing this in 2010 but with work constraints it never happened. Pretty sure I'm on for it in 2011, along with another lad from my club.

I've got some spanking Record pedals waiting for me to collect them...just the job!

I've sold it to my mate on the grounds that it wine & pasta at the food stops instead of the usual energy gloop & flap jack!
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    on the list but wont be in 2011 sadly. This is THE easiest sell to the wife as well as we have been there on holiday several times and she loves the place - has no issues sitting there drinking wine while I ride. Perfect 8)
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Good point. I'm now looking like 2012 too as I am a bit maxxed out. But that gives me lots of ti,e to get the bike straight.....