Tesco 750 Lumen Torch - £47

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.208-0131.aspx

Was browsing and stumbled open this. Anyone used it? It seems like a lot of light for £47
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    should be at 14 inches long and half a kilo!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    You can get similar performance for roughly half the price if you go to www.ledshoppe.com or www.dealextreme.com

But that torch is too big for a bike handlebar imo.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    cee wrote:
    should be at 14 inches long and half a kilo!

That's a good point well made.

Scratch that.

Nothing more to see here.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I bought a couple of the Tesco CREE torches about a year or so ago (not the 14 inch/half kilo jobbies). At 1st they were fine but within a matter of weeks they had developed bad contacts inside and wouldn't stay switched on. I can only guess they're not built to withstand the jarring and bumping they get attached to a bike. I bought a Fenix after that and have had no problems...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • At 1st they were fine

Agree, this seems the case with much of Dealextreme's (and others, including Tesco maybe) torches etc.

Buy cheap, buy twice.
  • dodgy
    In fairness, I don't think any of these flashlight style torches from dealextreme and tescos are designed for handlebar mounting and cycling. I've had my 5W Cree LED from ledshoppe for well over a year and it's like brand new. But then I only use it to light the footpath to and from our local pub which I have to walk through a large wood to get to :)
  • Headhuunter
    dodgy wrote:
    In fairness, I don't think any of these flashlight style torches from dealextreme and tescos are designed for handlebar mounting and cycling. I've had my 5W Cree LED from ledshoppe for well over a year and it's like brand new. But then I only use it to light the footpath to and from our local pub which I have to walk through a large wood to get to :)

The Fenix site specifically mentions use in cycling for some of its models
  • dodgy
    dodgy wrote:

But I'm talking about the budget stuff from Tesco and Ledshoppe.com / dealextreme.
  • Headhuunter
    dodgy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

But I'm talking about the budget stuff from Tesco and Ledshoppe.com / dealextreme.

Oh. OK
  • That's nothing. You want one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Million-candle-power-torch/dp/B0013BPREO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1286477691&sr=1-1

Mounting it would be tricky but you would sure be able to see where you were going. :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,