Croix De Fer

20yearsagotoday
20yearsagotoday Posts: 19
edited February 2011 in Your road bikes
Bought this a few weeks ago to use as a commuter / winter bike. I've also got plans for a Lands End to John O Groats ride next summer on it.

Pretty much standard spec aside from the change of saddle and bar tape, oh and the addition of the mud guards.

The bike feels bomb proof and quite agile but oh boy it doesn't climb anything like my Madone!

img0362v.jpg
img0374qt.jpg
img0364z.jpg
It's not that life's too short...it's just that you're dead for so long.

1996 GT LTS-1
2008 Cannondale Prophet 1000
2010 Genesis Croix de Fer
2014 Storck Scenero G2
2014 BMC SLR01

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Wouldn't flat bars have made sense on a bike with hydraulic discs?

Nice looking bike though :)
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089

See here, http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-all ... yclo-cross

I think you might see alot more drop bar bikes with hydraulic discs in future :)

Nice bike, braver man than me, with a white winter bike.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789

Nice looking bike though :)

I guess it would. Fortunately this bike has cable discs.
    More problems but still living....
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    very nice, I really want one of these but the boss says 7 bikes is enough :( the n+1 rule is not working.
    Like the mud guards btw
  • Needs one of these...

RITCHEY-STEM-WW.jpg
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    the drops look very shallow, might just be the picture.

would like to see it with black mudguards, just think they might blend in more with the tyres and not stick out so much. Could you try that for me please ?

Actually, I think it looks great, definitely a proper blokes bike, enjoy
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    Great looking bike...But is white a sensible colour for a commute bike ???
    exercise.png
  • Thanks for the comments guys. It is a lovely looking bike in the flesh and is a real head turner. I picked it up from eBay for £450 with just 50 miles on the clock. It's in mint condition.

Unfortunately the colour choice of the Croix De Fer is white or white but I guess it makes a change from the other bikes on the road. I really like the white mud guards and pedals, they look good against the dark wheels. Thanks for the picture of the stem, I agree, it does need one.

Time will tell how the bike stands up to the winter rides but I did a local sportive last sunday in the worst weather imaginable and it looked fine at the end, it just needed a 'towel down'.

I'm not worried about how reliable the bike is though, take a look here http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/news/03/0 ... s-official
    It's not that life's too short...it's just that you're dead for so long.

1996 GT LTS-1
    2008 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    2010 Genesis Croix de Fer
    2014 Storck Scenero G2
    2014 BMC SLR01
  • Saw one of these in a bike shop a few months ago and it looked pretty good to me. Sort of a bomb proof, do anything sort of bike. If I'd got £1000 or so spare (which I haven't) I'd get myself one! Looks like you've done pretty well to get one for £450! Nice one!
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    White is a Great colour for a commute, short of neon or day glo, it makes you more visible and it will look fine in the future.
  • Stunning, and the white mudguards are fine. White's a good choice for being seen. At the end of the day it's paint. And will wipe clean.

I would go for black bar tape though!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • How do. Nice bike, I am thinking of getting a Croix De Fer 2011, and was wondering what your white mudguards are please?

I was originally thinking of getting SKS Chromoplastic's in Black, but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound! :o)

How are you finding the CDF?
    W
  • Quick question./ Clearly you have slick tyres on it. What's the narrowest you can fit on them? really like the look of this bike, muddy fun, touring, and winter training. Sounds like a good deal!
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham