Wiggins 2010 season isn't over...

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
edited October 2010 in Pro race
... according to Teamsky.com he is riding Paris Tours.

I am sure I read somewhere he was ending his 2010 campaign after the Tour of Britain?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    May be riding in support of once of the sprinty classics boys such as EBH, Flecha, Henderson, Gerrans etc?
  • Got held back to do the cyclist equivalent of lines / saturday detention.

Much like the team having to ride the front all week at the tour of britain due to not wining it.

Marginal gains.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    NapoleonD wrote:
    May be riding in support of once of the sprinty classics boys such as EBH, Flecha, Henderson, Gerrans etc?

EBH aint on the start list, which I find odd.....

Was surprised to see Wiggo's name down too tbh :shock:
  • Bet he regrets letting his bike go for 12 grand now
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Tom BB wrote:
    EBH aint on the start list, which I find odd.....

He didn't seem to be in great form at the Worlds.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,952
    I find it odd that they don't appear to have any sprinter in one of the few classics that sprinters sometimes win.
  • They may have realised that they don't have a sprinter capable of winning bunch sprints.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    It was hard to notice where it actually started, Wiggins season I mean.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Given he hasn't raced much, I'd be surprised if he finishes.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Wouldn't be surprised to seem him DNF.....if there wasn't so much hype around him aiming for the podium at the TdF then his season was up there with his best-winning the Giro prologue aint to be sniffed at.
  • JoeBond
    JoeBond Posts: 20
    Does Bradley Wiggins deserve to be on the cover of Procycling?

I just got my copy of Procycling delivered and Wiggins is the on the front and back covers. Do his palmares as a pro justify this sort of coverage?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    JoeBond wrote:
    Does Bradley Wiggins deserve to be on the cover of Procycling?

I just got my copy of Procycling delivered and Wiggins is the on the front and back covers. Do his palmares as a pro justify this sort of coverage?
    The way things are going history might just remember Brad Wiggins as one of the strongest clean riders in the current peloton
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    In that case, put Ryder H on the cover. Wiggins goes on the cover because he's well-known and English-speaking. Often they put a Brit on the cover of the British version, a Yank on the US version.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Kléber wrote:
    In that case, put Ryder H on the cover. Wiggins goes on the cover because he's well-known and English-speaking. Often they put a Brit on the cover of the British version, a Yank on the US version.

Isn't Ryder Canadian?
  • They may have realised that they don't have a sprinter capable of winning bunch sprints.
    +1 I don't understand why they repeatedly rely on Henderson.

He isn't top drawer.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    To be fair to Henderson only EBH has won more races for Sky this year and he has some decent if not world class stage wins (Paris-Nice, Eneco Tour etc) and was consistently up their in the sprints in the GIro. In any race without Cav he has at least a shot at winning a bunch sprint.

According to Sky website their sprinter will be Davide Vigano who I know nothing about...but they do have Flecha and Arvesen and Wiggins who could be useful guys to try and get into escapes so that may be their main focus.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Pross
    They may have realised that they don't have a sprinter capable of winning bunch sprints.
    +1 I don't understand why they repeatedly rely on Henderson.

He isn't top drawer.

He's beaten Greipel a couple of times this season. I'd say he's in that pack of sprinters just behind Cav, Petacchi and Farrar.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    heh heh ... "Wiggo" :roll:
  • Pross
    According to Sky website their sprinter will be Davide Vigano who I know nothing about...but they do have Flecha and Arvesen and Wiggins who could be useful guys to try and get into escapes so that may be their main focus.

You're not the only one - his Wiki page is blank other than his team history and his profile on Eurosport shows him as being 1.82cm tall and weighing 66kg which seems a bit light for a sprinter :shock: Can't find any record of his palmares.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Pross wrote:
    Davide Vigano...........Can't find any record of his palmares
    http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/ri ... derid=2882
  • Pross
    Thanks Bronzie - that's incredibly mediocre! Judging by the low number of top 10 placings if he is a sprinter he's not very good!
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Pross wrote:

You're not the only one - his Wiki page is blank other than his team history and his profile on Eurosport shows him as being 1.82cm tall and weighing 66kg which seems a bit light for a sprinter :shock: Can't find any record of his palmares.

....yep, there'll be a reason for that.
    Are Sky forcing Wiggo to ride? Seem to recall he was due to end his season after the Tour, citing extreme tiredness/fatigue?! Trying to be objective, his results this season have been dismal. Frankly for a rider of his status/salary, a Giro prologue win is hardly value for money. Really hope he comes back stronger next year - why doesn't he have a crack at Roubaix?!
  • Sounds foreign to be me, he will be on something :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    ....yep, there'll be a reason for that.
    Are Sky forcing Wiggo to ride? Seem to recall he was due to end his season after the Tour, citing extreme tiredness/fatigue?! Trying to be objective, his results this season have been dismal. Frankly for a rider of his status/salary, a Giro prologue win is hardly value for money. Really hope he comes back stronger next year - why doesn't he have a crack at Roubaix?!

There's a big interview with him in this months ProCycling magazine and he says roughly what he'll be doing next season:

Track World Cup in Manchester, Tirreno-Adriatico, Criterium International, 3 days of De Panne, Paris-Roubaix and the Dauphine are the races mentioned, pre-Tour.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Is this the end of his 2010 season or the start of his 2011 season? It's hard to tell with Brad. Think he needs to go back to basics and concentrate on being a bike rider again.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Wow, he'll be riding all the big races then :roll:

Have to say if I were EBH, Henderson etc. I'd probably want to kick him by now for delivering so little, and putting them under pressure.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    eh wrote:

They're only the ones he mentioned. It wasn't a set-in-stone racing program.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    eh wrote:

Which of Tirreno-Adriatico, Criterium International, 3 Days of De Panne, Paris-Roubaix and the Dauphine are you implying aren't big races?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Wiggins should stop trying to be the next Paul Weller and being awkward in interviews like weller try's to be and F***ing concentrate on being a bike rider and justify his overpaid salary.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    To be honest; Garmin always seem to get a guy in the top 10
    in most TDF so I think Brad was the pick when he got his 4th. Whether Garmin uses Herbal Tea to get one guy up with the top guys I have no idea but the results stand- Vandevelde, Wiggo and Hesjedal.
    I'm not sure whether Wiggo wasn't on the same plan as with Garmin this year and whether he lost too much weight, got his form wrong or went AWOL (a la JF Bernard style (-didn't like the pressure) is a tricky one.
    Sky had a strong early season but seemed to fade badly after the warm up races started. I thought EBH was a let down this year as well as Wiggo.
    Not sure whether Wiggo is at fault or whether it is a new system that has cocked things up. Sky in the end hit the buffers.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil