Build my own or buy from my LBS

NaNdO
NaNdO Posts: 5
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi

I am relatively new to mountainbiking. I have been in the saddle just over a year and have been well and truely bitten by the bug.

I was hoping some of you guys could help me... At the moment i have a specialized rockhopper and i am looking to sort out a full sus rig.

My dillemma is I was thinking about buying a frame and building my own then i recently seen a Lappiere Spicy 316 and its such a a sick bit of kit. so i am now torn...

any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• NaNdO
    i like the idea of building a bike just for the originality.. And to be a bit diffrent from everyone else on the trail.. I suppose it comes down to budget..

I mean how good of a bike could you build with around £3000.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NaNdO wrote:
    I mean how good of a bike could you build with around £3000.
    Not as good as one you could buy. The big names get huge mass-purchase discounts, so you'd likely struggle to get close to a well specced bike for 3K
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Do some maths and work it out, by the time you buy a frame, fork, and transmission a good chunk of you budget will be gone - major manufacturers can buy components at a fraction of retail price.

Also its worth noting that frames are pretty expensive, often its cheaper to buy a complete bike and strip components to sell than buy a frame Individually.
  • NaNdO
    Thanks guys point taken...

if i get the lappiere 316 il have some money to spare...

Can anyone recommend any other bikes??
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Build, build, build.
  • buy all the parts, online, that will save a few quid as you can shop around, but best to let lbs build it up for you unless youre really competent with all the tools otherwise it could prove very expensive if you strip something. good luck
  • It depends on the reason you are considering doing the build. If your doing it because it will work out cheaper, it's possible if your happy to wait a until good deals come up in the sales etc, but don't forget to factor in work shop costs at your LBS as well, unless you've got the tools yourself. However, it is unlikely it work out cheaper as yeehaa rightly points out.

If your doing it because you think it will be fun, it sort of is, but sort of isn't! I built my own bike, and it is a good experience because you have to learn how it all works,which can save money in the long run because you can fix it if it goes wrong, but it is very frustrating at times!

Also, the proud feeling of building of your bike wears off pretty quickly anyway in my experience. So don't expect a zen moment of higher being to come from it, because when your flying along and something falls off because you didn't tighten it properly, you have have only yourself to blame! :D
  • with the lbs you can try before you buy, when youv,e spent a small fortune on your own build then dont get on with it you wont recoup the cost
  • You could always go for a combo of the two & buy some immediate upgrades to go on it making it unique. You could then recoup some of the cost selling the bits you take off.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • I've just built my bike, cost me around £450, it's alot better than anything I would of bought fully built, and Their really easy to build, and you can always get your bike checked out afterwards to make sure its safe :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But were all your parts new with a warranty?
  • stewyb
    stewyb Posts: 20
    Nando,

I've just built my bike- I have to say the satisfaction of finally getting it together with eerything I want was the bestt thing ever. I have been riding for over 15 years now and I wish I built my own much earlier.

An article you may find interesting (using my pictures) can be found here: http://kinesismorvelo-dom-mason.postero ... t-yourself

Also if you guys are interested n my build, its in my signature and details are here:

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikedetail.php?id=165

Good Luck with deciding

Stew
    "Disco Stu knows how to party"

Flickr Set:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewarthal ... 996654927/

Kinesis Maxlight XcPro3:- http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/bikedetail.php?id=165
  • NaNdO
    I was looking to build an AM/freeride bike and the bigger travel frames are expensive.. Plus the only frames i seem to see on sale are small sizes.. And the size i need is a medium.

I worked it out yesterday and for my Budget i could build a reasonable full susser but could get knowere near the spec of some of the Pre built bikes....

I think i am gona go to my local bikeshop and get the Spicy316... Now should i get the 2010 bike or wait for the 2011 offering???
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    Getting last years parts and building your own bike (if you can find the right frame), will be cheaper than next years models, which will probably be at least £200 more expensive than last years.

That was my experience anyway. depends if you want the most up to date kit etc though.
  • Neily03 wrote:
    Build, build, build.

I have to agree

Whilst not on the same budget scale i have just built an On One 456 to pretty much (if not better) the same spec it would be if i bought a built bike

I fitted all new parts and saved roughly £300 by purchasing from various internet sites :D
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • And yeah all my parts were new, with exception of the 2nd hand frame, but that only cost £30, and I can't see me riding hard enough to break it
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    +1 for Build Build Build

I built both my bikes (Road and MTB), although I agree with the whole idea of buying prebuilt as the large manufacturers have better buying power etc nothing beats building it yourself and fettling though :)

Saying that when I bought my Pace you could only buy it as a frame (I think now they do a rolling chassis) so a few bits came off my old bike and were replaced as funds allowed.

The best bit though is when you build yourself you amass a load of tools and experience so when it comes to doing maintenance it's alot easier.

Also some manufacturers might not use the trick bits that make your ride "yours" (Hope brakes, Goodridge hoses, the list goes on) and you'll get volume stuff.

However, I would suggest that if you do a build get it checked out by a LBS or a bike savvy friend.

Best of luck and you can't go wrong with the Park Tools website for tips on specific bits.

T1b