Insurance for bicycles?

Oliver55
Oliver55 Posts: 20
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
What kind of insurance do you have? Do you need separate or can you include a bike on home insurance even if stolen outside the house?

I've been searching and the quotes for non public liability non recovery don't seem to get cheaper than paying for the new bike in 10years (£33 p.a for £350 bike) which could be worse, but is there better?

Do you know if kryptonite replaces locks free if they're broken by thieves/and if so, if they need the lock as evidence? Adding the cost of locks to the bike for insurace would bump it up quite a bit.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    i get liability + legal attack dog insurance from british cycling membership

the theft/accident cover on bikes is from m&s as part of home contents insurance, covers me away from home too, even if i take the bike overseas, an excellent deal

if your bike isn't too expensive and you've got a decent u-lock and don't leave it in iffy places i wouldn't bother with insurance

but if you are insuring your home/contents, choose the right policy and you'll get cover anyway
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny