7speed to 8speed conversion

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited October 2010 in The workshop
We're building a commuter bike for my daughter, predominantly using bits from a Giant, we have a good rear wheel with 7speed cassette, can it be converted to 8speed by using a 9speed cassette and dropping 8th or 9th gear? (yes I know that each gear is a little narrower on a 9speed cassette)

Obviously have to use a 9speed rear mech and shifter and accept we won't have the 'end' gear on the shifter.

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    silly question but if you're putting a 9 speed cassette on it plus 9 speed shifter, why wont you be able to use all 9 gears?
  • The Rookie
    I was under the impression that the 8-9 speed freewheel was wider than the 7 speed - iknow 8 and 9 are the same (5-8 speed having the same gear pitch, 9 speed having a smaller spacing between gears) thus a 9 speed cassette won't fit unless it's narrowed, hence my suggestion to leave out one of the gears (so it wouldn't be 9 speed anymore would it!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ok, with you now; you'll assemble the 9 speed block onto the 7 speed freewheel until you can't get any more of the end gears on it.

Seems an expensive way just to get one more gear.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes to what you plan but also you could go 9 if it is a hub and body and suitable frame. Also check that the body really is 7spd as often 8/9s are used with a 4,5mm spacer and a 7spd cassette.

have read http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

a freewheel will not do what you want see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    OK, thans Nick, I was pretty sure you would know the answer, first thing I'll check for is a spacer, as the wheel is off a circa 2004/5 it is possible it has an 8sp width mounting I guess, frame is a 135mm wide 09 Claud Butler so pretty sure that would be fine.

Simon