Rear shock lock-out?

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
Sorry if this appears to be a stupid question, but i've just ugraded from a hardtail to full-sus and was surprised to find the rear shock didn't have a lock-out feature. Or doesn't this work with the full-sus engineering. Do any rear shocks have lock-out? I ride a Gaint anthem x3 with a Fox Float RP2 rear shock.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• pseymour
    I need to fit a powerlink to my chain. Am I right in saying that I just need to take out any two links with a chain tool to fit it. Do I need to take make one of the joins the Masterlink?
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    It might have pro pedal, which is the blue switch in the below pic

That will improve stiffness at the rear when your pedalling but wont lock out completely

rs270z01.jpg
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A lockout isn't necessarily desirable in a lot of situations, the RP2 has Pro Pedal, as above, which stiffens the rear suspension but still keeps it moving. These days suspension systems are much more effective, so they climb alright whilst active.

If you want to fit a Powerlink you need to take out a set of outer plates and replace with a link, so you need to take 2 pins out.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Damn it you were ok on this one Njee.. i'
  • pseymour
    Thanks guys. Yes, i've been using the Propedal mode, but being used to a hardtail there are lots of occasions when a rear lock-out would be good, e.g. fire-road climbing. I'm just surprised that it isn't a feature, which must be for a reason.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Play with the air pressure, put more air in it, you should find it'll climb fine in the ProPedal mode. If you're someone who always mashes a big gear, then no FS bike is likely to be the best tool for fireroad climbing.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    pseymour wrote:
    Do any rear shocks have lock-out?.
    Some do, some don't.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • pseymour
    Does one of the two Pins I need to remove need be the 'masterlink' pin?
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    pseymour wrote:
    Does one of the two Pins I need to remove need be the 'masterlink' pin?

Any two pins will do. Just make sure you remove the pins at either end of an outer plate.