Bikes you'd like to have a go on!

2»

Comments

• Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    JonGinge wrote:

*EARS BURNING* That is rather wicked! I did see a similar tandem somewhere that was modular so you could take it down to a traditional tandem, have 6 riders or anything in between :-) Sure it was being used for a charity ride......

Also on your comment earlier regarding the Lotus bike I did actually find a chap riding one once on a commute home! To say I was gobsmacked and slightly honoured was an understatement :-) Judging by the size of the rider he looked like an army man so might explain why despite the wunder-bike he couldn't quite keep-up with the whippet ;-)

As for bikes I'd like to ride:

TT Bike - Curious how much faster/efficient it would be then my traditional bike
    High-end custom road bike - Cos I could!
    Unicycle - To impress the kids
    Penny Farthing - Looks scary......have seen video's of them racing.........and crashing :shock:
    Proper 'bent, have ridden a small 3-wheeled one around Dulwich park and had huge fun but haven't tried a proper one!
    Free-ride (all mountain?) bike - Love the idea of being able to take a bike ANYWHERE and for it to survive
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • This was my bonkers TT bike (you can see why I didn't go far!). At least I made good money on it.

TT.jpg

This was my shiny track bike.
    DSC00054.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg

And this is my tandem

P8170007.jpg
    [/img]
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Looks cool! And I would love to have a go on a proper, old-fashioned penny-farthing.

These are just disappointing and shouldn't be called a penny-farthing:

penny-farthing_main.jpg

if you're not lunching at pizza blah then come on the next tweed run and there will be a couple there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Would love to have a go on a pro-level TT bike, Scott Plasma or something like that.

@TGOTB, what bike have you got? Have been keeping an eye out but nothing has really grabbed me yet.

Other than that, when I was in India I quite fancied the idea of a rickshaw, found myself in the back of one a few times and had to resist the temptation to offer to ride the thing! (the traffic over there is proper mental , I just know I would have ended up hitting a cow or something...)
  • The Rickshaws are cheap too; around £100 as I recall (bought there, that is). The fact that the drivers ride all day with people on the back and luggage, and yet have scrawny legs tells you something about the availability of protein. If I had their job on my diet, I'd look like Chris Hoy.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    MatHammond wrote:
    Would love to have a go on a pro-level TT bike, Scott Plasma or something like that.

@TGOTB, what bike have you got? Have been keeping an eye out but nothing has really grabbed me yet.
    I picked up an old-skool (circa 2000) Cougar a couple of months ago, for silly money. Not very glamorous, but easily upgraded to 10-speed, and gets me into the right position...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Silly TT Bike
    Bamboo framed bike
    One of those bikes with reverse steering
    Two wheeled unicycle
    Moulton

... There's some more, which will come to me.

And for silly bikes I've already done...

Recumbent - done. Own one.
    Unicycle - done. Own two.
    Tandem - done.
    Giraffe unicycle - done.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Mine arent very exciting but

A TT bike
    Trek madone 6.9
    and a recumbant

some very perculiar looking bikes further up :)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Aidy wrote:
    Silly TT Bike
    Bamboo framed bike
    One of those bikes with reverse steering
    Two wheeled unicycle
    Moulton

... There's some more, which will come to me.

A monocycle
    A cargo bike
    An artistic bike
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Well there was this one girl at uni :roll:

:P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    I want to try the one that's a pub on wheels...

Like this one ?
    http://www.bierbike.de/

Saw this in action a few months ago in Germany.

Site is in german, but you'll get the idea.

Also saw a few cargo bikes in use on the footpaths along the Rhine on the same trip

like one of these
    http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy_complete/

Would like to try one of those as well , even though I can't see myself having a real use for it

Mike
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    itboffin wrote:
    Well there was this one girl at uni :roll:

:P
    Her name wasn't Chrissie, was it?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    A tandem.
    Not just a boring standard tandem, I'd really like to try a mountain bike tandem like this:
    AlpsTandemshot_000.JPG.jpeg
    Got to be grim on the uphills, and terrifying on the downhills... :?
    Misguided Idealist
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Triumph Rocket III Roadster. Probably doesn't really count.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'd love to have a go on a tall bike - maybe not this tall though.

CanadaScotRidingTallBkeOK.jpg
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    olsons.jpg
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    Black_Sheep_36er-850-65.jpg

59-double-gear-bike.jpg

China_Water_Bicycle_double2009381610573.jpg

double-velo-01.jpg

double-bike-336x500.jpg
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Tadpole trike
    Track bike on a track
    proper tandem instead of hire piece of cra..
    a set of identical road bikes with campy, sram and shimano to see wat is the difference.

Rode a four person thing once, but we went down a big hill wich was rather scary.

And there is a chance you won't be seeing too many beerfietsen in Amsterdam because of someting with the law claiming it aint a bike. I think they just want to get rid of the Brittish bachelor parties.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Nothing terribly imaginative for me:
    recumbent tadpole trike ( this one I quite like the look of http://www.icetrikes.co.uk/explore-our-trikes/vortex , or this http://www.innesenti.com/innesenti.com/MODELS.html )
    a decent touring tandem, for more than five minutes, i.e. a few days' tour.
    a low-racer recumbent
    a track bike, or any fixed gear bike really
    something steel, classic and beautiful
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • I'd like to have a go on one of these...

concept2.jpg

...mostly because it's got the most confusing ''Adaptive Pedalling System'' ( http://dreamslide.com/SITE/ENG/site/APSsystem.html ) I've ever seen. The pedals aren't independent but they don't go at the same speed either. Somehow this works and I saw some being used today but didn't get to try one out.

It might not be a bike though....but it's not anything else either. Not that I can put a name to, anyway.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I'd like to have a go on one of these...

concept2.jpg

...mostly because it's got the most confusing ''Adaptive Pedalling System'' ( http://dreamslide.com/SITE/ENG/site/APSsystem.html ) I've ever seen. The pedals aren't independent but they don't go at the same speed either. Somehow this works and I saw some being used today but didn't get to try one out.

It might not be a bike though....but it's not anything else either. Not that I can put a name to, anyway.

That looks rather interesting and that bike at the bottom that they use for the demo looks like it would be the "perfect" folder as it's sans seatpost/saddle etc and already looks like it's based on a stripped down Brommie!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • ndru wrote:
    Bullitt bike, bakfiets cargo bike long.

I have been curious about these for ages so I went to Practical Cycles in Lytham St Annes at the weekend and rode a couple, taking my 16 month old daughter with me to fully test their usability.

http://www.practicalcycles.com/index.htm

I tried a bakfiets cargo bike, feels long as you are sat well back and couldn't do a 'U' turn without putting my feet down but stable and suprisingly easy to ride at a rate of knots, it felt very upright though after a road bike, and you'd not be able to fit a longer bar stem or it would foul the cover for the big wooden box, I then tried a Yuba Mundo which you can cover in child seats and this felt much more like a normal bike despite the length, the same U turn was managed without putting feet down. A bit less upright and you could change to flatter bars/longer stem if it suited your riding style, you could probably do mild offroading on it too whereas I'm not sure the bakfiets would manage that.

Obviously both bikes are heavy, expensive, and the bakfiets is wide as well.

I put small child back in the £10 ebay child seat attached to the worthless old steel raleigh racer and tore off up the road much more quickly than either long bike had done.
    You'd really have to justify a need for one and live somewhere flat. I'd like one but manage with the old racer + child seat/trailer combo which is much cheaper and will go in/on the car.
    If you were to try and take say a cargo bike on holiday (I always take bikes when holidaying in UK) they certainly wouldn't fit on either roofrack I have, you'd need a long one and it would take 2 of you to lift it up there.

Man at practical cycles was very courteous and helpful by the way.

Small child thought the whole experience was hilarious, so approval from that side but she likes eating sand so isn't to be trusted.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'm thinking about what bicycles I've been on and I'm scaring myself

tandem - yep, good fun
    trike - adult, do proper rides on etc, yep, decent but odd to get round corners
    tandem trike - uncle dennis owns one
    unicycle - ok, gets boring after a bit
    recumbent - mad down hill and really rips on the flat but a bit dull upill, you have to climb slow and lazy style cos you can't get out of the saddle therefore can't change pace
    track bike at velodrome - big fun
    4 wheeled multiperson bike, very heavy and slow
    one of those 2 person sit side by side jobbies (when on holiday once), very strange and easily crashable, both riders have to be a similar weight

only thing to try therefore is a full on TT bike, a penny farthing, a 29er mountain bike, a 6in travel full sus mountain bike

I was going to say clown bike that falls apart underneath you but I've had that experience already :shock:
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight