Cyclist cleared of assault

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Should be re-tried for the offence of cycling in flip-flops.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Love one of the responses.
    Although the cabbie was wrong in this case (and I do hope he is prosecuted for assault), cyclists should be made to take a road proficiency test before being allowed to use the roads.

If every other vehicle on the road has to pass a test before they are let loose, why should cyclists and mopeds be any different?

It simply means that we have one group of road users with less road awareness and judgement, which in turn means they are a danger to themselves and others.

Right... so gloss over the assault bit and get right back on the anti cycling rant :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Grr, the amount of generalisation in the comment section on that site makes me sick :)
  • My witness testified that on three separate occasions he attempted to explain and give his details to the arresting officer but was dismissed each time. This same arresting officer assured me, in his squad car and later at the police station, that he had taken the details of that witness.

Two months later, when that same officer informed me I was being charged for assault, I was horrified to discover the police had no record at all of my witness.

http://cyclistneedshelp.blogspot.com/

Bloody hell!

Will anyone be charged over this? The cabbie? The coppers?
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    The most worrying thing about this story is: what would have happened to the cyclist if the two witnesses had not come forward after reading the media report?

Plus the Police didn't even bother to take a statement from the guy who had given first aid to the cyclist :shock:

What on earth could you do in a situation where you've been falsely accused (thanks to an incorrect witness), with no witnesses to back this up?
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Very similar to something which happened to me around the same time (though, thankfully, I was not throttled in the assault by the taxi driver).

Met Police don't give a shit. In my case, they lied repeatedly about investigating, never got a statement from me, and didn't follow up witnesses. The officer investigating said that the assault was proportionate because I was holding the cabbie up trying to get his details. This isn't the case in law, but that doesn't seem to matter to the Police.

I hope in this case that the first 'witness' is tried for perjury or wasting Police time, and the cabbie is tried for the vicious assault at the very least.
    Riding on 531
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    scary stuff :shock:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    scary stuff :shock:

+1
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Clarion wrote:

I hope in this case that the first 'witness' is tried for perjury or wasting Police time, and the cabbie is tried for the vicious assault at the very least.

firstly- Clarion let me say the police officers comments to you were a disgrace and should have been the subject of a complaint to the IPCC

As for the case in the paer. There is probably insufficient evidence to charge taxi driver as you suggest.

The finding in the magistrates court was simply that the prosecution had not proven that the cyclist assaulted the taxi driver. That is very different from saying the taxi driver had lied.

Sad, but its unlikely that a prosecution of taxi driver can follow
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Surely a case against the Taxi driver for throttling the cyclist unconscious is very much on the cards though? The Police don't seem to be required to do things under the law; if they actively break it themselves, that may cause them a problem, but they seem entirely able to decide where to enforce it, to the extent that members of this forum have had letters from the Met saying that they feel the fine for a driver entering the ASL is disproportionate, and therefore won't enforce it - they didn't feel the need to cover that up. I would be amazed if anyone who was alive in the 80s trusted the police at all.
  • I was quite surprised by this comment on the ES site...
    And for the cyclist hit by the bus in high street Ken last night. When the driver of the vehicle which has just hit you gets out to help it is considered a bad idea to try and kick him while laying on your back and and screaming abuse. . .that is why, in the kicking stakes you came off much worse. Bus driver 2. Cyclist 0.

- jimbob, Kensington, 05/10/2010 13:34

Is Jim Bob admitting to kicking a cyclist on the ground after hitting him with a bus?
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Should be re-tried for the offence of cycling in flip-flops.

Yes its a crime but just a minor one.

However on the face of it - a Taxi Driver who assaults somebody and gets away with it as well as the police seeming to have made a pigs breakfast of the whole thing,'s does not sit well.

It's all a bit Monty Python.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Cycling in flip flops isn't a crime, is it?
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Cycling in flip flops isn't a crime, is it?

Meredydd Hughes, Chief Constable of South Yorkshire, says:

“One fact quoted to me quite often is that the single biggest crime commited nowadays is cycling in flip flops.”
  • Mr Sworld wrote:

“One fact quoted to me quite often is that the single biggest crime commited nowadays is cycling in flip flops.”

Got a source for that?

I've never heard of any legal restrictions on cycling footwear.
  • Mr Sworld wrote:

Got a source for that?

*sigh*
  • Mr Sworld wrote:

Got a source for that?

thats made my afternoon :D cheers mbfc!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • BOT (back on topic)....

It looks like a major travesty of justice has been averted. But that only means a major injustice has been stopped, justice itself has a lot of ground to make up - it hasn't even started.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Shameful on the part of the Met Police and CPS. But they do have form.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.