Greenwich Park commuters beware!

2»

Comments

• Are people aware that a 20mph speed limit is in fact not legally enforceable, call the general enquiries and ask, this is a fact.

This one is - it's in a Royal Park - I can't remember the ins and outs but have actually read the clause in the legislation which applies.

Whether it's enforceable or not is one question. 'Has it ever come to court?' is another. I suspect the answer to the second question is no.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Are people aware that a 20mph speed limit is in fact not legally enforceable, call the general enquiries and ask, this is a fact.

This one is - it's in a Royal Park - I can't remember the ins and outs but have actually read the clause in the legislation which applies.

Whether it's enforceable or not is one question. 'Has it ever come to court?' is another. I suspect the answer to the second question is no.
    Well, plenty of cyclists have been stopped and fined in Richmond Park...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Are people aware that a 20mph speed limit is in fact not legally enforceable, call the general enquiries and ask, this is a fact.

This one? (PDF)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JonGinge wrote:
    Are people aware that a 20mph speed limit is in fact not legally enforceable, call the general enquiries and ask, this is a fact.

Well, plenty of cyclists have been stopped and fined in Richmond Park...

Interesting to see if it could be enforced. I would be temtped not to pay and see what they do. As discussed, how is a cyclist supposed to know what speed they are doing? There is absolutely no requirement for cyclists to have speedos, however there is for drivers.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Funny that this thread should get bumped up now. I was just wondering whether it was worth a new Greenwich thread about a councillors' cycling survey that I just found out about this morning.
    So, though it has nothing to do with the park itself, I'll post the survey link here where Greenwich cyclists are likely to see it anyway.

http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/Y ... enwich.htm

Thanks DM, completed.