CO2 Inflaters

kitsunegari
kitsunegari Posts: 131
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I managed to destroy my pump by somehow getting water into it and rotting the oring on the one way valve, and the valve itself. Now it was cheap as chips so that I'm not bothered about, but before I replace it as it was a good one, I wondered about a co2 inflater, and if anyone uses one, has experience of them, and can recommend them or not.

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Thoroughly recommend them for on the move repairs and inner tube replacements. Very useful but can get very cold!!
  • This is why I'm leaning towards one, due to the nature of a roadside puncture. I've done 2000 miles on my tyres without puncture, and then had 3 in a day - and now as I've destroyed my pump the time saved by a simple co2 inflator appeals.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I recommend them, but the cartridges can be expensive depending on where you get them from. Your local bike shop will probably want over two quid each for 16g cans but I use this company:

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/co2-cart ... category=2

and save a fortune.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Was just looking at their website, any thing in particular you'd recommend?

And I know its probably a stupid question, but it's not dangerous having a couple in a saddle bag is it..?
  • Cheshley
    you don't need anything more than this type of valve head.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Truflo-Micro-CO2- ... 5d2a4b0074

I didn't see one of these on the tyre inflators website tho. Screws onto the cartridge and then screws onto the tyre valve. I don't trust the push-fit ones on presta tyre valves due to the end of the valve being so very easy to snap off. There is something to be said, however, for carrying something that doubles as a CO2 inflator and also a manual pump just in case you run out of cartridges.... http://www.evanscycles.com/products/inn ... gn=froogle

Either way, make sure you get a neoprene cartridge cover to protect your hands as they get very cold as they empty.

The Genuine Inovations website says that one 16g cartridge will get a road bike tyre to 130psi. I can't comment on the accuracy of this claim but if you get somewhere near this you'll be fine. I carry a couple in my saddlebag without any worries. Have the noeprene cover on one of them and it'll stop them clanking together too.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Was just looking at their website, any thing in particular you'd recommend?

And I know its probably a stupid question, but it's not dangerous having a couple in a saddle bag is it..?

I saw a lad when I was doing the Great North Bike Ride last month, who had a holder fixed to the underside of his saddle which held 6 cannisters at least pointing down. It looked like a multiple rocket launcher - well cool :)
  • I have a load of small co2 cannisters from my brewing factory (read shed). And 130psi is above the rated max of my tyres (120), I guess I could use those then just let a small bit out?
  • Cheshley
    Genuine Innovations make a cartridge holder that fixes to the bottle cage bosses....

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-10-37632
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    I have a load of small co2 cannisters from my brewing factory (read shed). And 130psi is above the rated max of my tyres (120), I guess I could use those then just let a small bit out?

you don;t have to let all the air out of the canister at once, the pump head allows you to control how much you put into the tyre and shuts off when you've got up to your preferred tyre pressure.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    are your co2 cartridges threaded at the top? If not you'll have to be careful when buying a pump as some of them (including the two I included links to) need threaded cartridges.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Cheshley
    it also depends on how small your 'small' cartridges are as the make 12g and 16g.....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    I have one with the spare small bottles. Its your for a £10 plus a box of new bottles and postage - if that helps
  • Once the canister has been punctured and say half used is that it spent or can the canister stay attached to the inflator until you need to use it again?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The gas will leak out.

TBH - if you're doing some kind of race - triathlon or long TT or sportif, then yeah hget them. If you're not - then just use a pump. As you say - you had 3 flats in one day. If you only have one canister then you're buggered. And would you really carry the weight of 3 cartridges around ?

Pump is lighter and takes just a bit longer, but more practical I reckon. You really dont need to go over 100PSI for a decent ride. Thats all I use - even with a track pump.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Cheshley wrote:
    I didn't see one of these on the tyre inflators website tho. Screws onto the cartridge and then screws onto the tyre valve. I don't trust the push-fit ones on presta tyre valves due to the end of the valve being so very easy to snap off.

Never had it happen, I just use the tyreinflators one.
    Cheshley wrote:
    Either way, make sure you get a neoprene cartridge cover to protect your hands as they get very cold as they empty.

Never bother with these, way too much hassle and not all that good at protecting your hands. Wrap the innertube you removed around the cartridge, make excellent insulators and can easily cover the entire canister rather than just a jacket in the middle - and you don't need to swap neoprene between dead and new cartridges all the time.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    I always have a pump as it helps to inflate the tube slightly before inserting, stops you blowing tubes as you inflate. I've got a c02 pump from 2nd wind, which is small/light, but I also have one of those tiny chuck inflators in my saddle bag (from days of old)
  • Cheshley
    jibberjim wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:
    I didn't see one of these on the tyre inflators website tho. Screws onto the cartridge and then screws onto the tyre valve. I don't trust the push-fit ones on presta tyre valves due to the end of the valve being so very easy to snap off.

Never had it happen, I just use the tyreinflators one.
    Cheshley wrote:

Never bother with these, way too much hassle and not all that good at protecting your hands. Wrap the innertube you removed around the cartridge, make excellent insulators and can easily cover the entire canister rather than just a jacket in the middle - and you don't need to swap neoprene between dead and new cartridges all the time.

Don't know which cover you've got but mine covers pretty much the whole cartridge and works fine. Swapping the sleeve between cans is hardy a major inconvenience.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Cheshley wrote:
    I recommend them, but the cartridges can be expensive depending on where you get them from. Your local bike shop will probably want over two quid each for 16g cans but I use this company:

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/co2-cart ... category=2

and save a fortune.

Thanks for the tip, I pay £2.50 each at my LBS. I thought a box of 30 might be over the top so I ordered 10 for £5.00, what a deal!