I was a Tandem virigin

Chewy Cheeks
Chewy Cheeks Posts: 234
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Now I am not

Rode a tandem for the first time on Friday evening.

Only 10-12 miles or so.

I was on the back, cause I did not know the way and being shouted whilst steering and trusting my streer seemed much less risky altogether. So I was the stoker, apparently.

Surprised at how much speed we built up, and how hard it was to stop/manoeuver. It was a good evening out with a couple of beers thrown in.

I liked it and would do it again.

Is it a bit wierd?
No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Very.

Never post on here again you weirdo.

I saw a tandem recimbent the other week - I never knew such a thing existed! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Yeah, very weird. My parents have a triplet in their garage. They also have a road called "the straight mile" near them. Very, very tempting ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I keep telling Mrs Dugliss that we should do London to Brighton on a tandem but she`s less than keen
  • I do really know its wierd -

I had the impression being slightly if not entirely odd was far from the edge of this forums core demographic.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    my Uncle has a tandem trike

they are a good laugh especially going down hill they are really fast, but a bugger to get up climbs on
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    I saw a tandem recimbent the other week - I never knew such a thing existed! :D

On holiday last year saw a half & half, normal at the front, recumbent at the back.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    at my local time trial there is a couple of blokes who race on a tandem and they smash everyone lol
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    These guys were staying in the same hostel and then setting off to Lands End the day after I arrived in John O'Groats.

Back-to-back recumbent tandem. Mental!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Yes - they are a bit weird.

Being pretty new to riding tandems I am no expert - but we just did 500 miles through France and I am pleased to say it went very well. The thought of touring again on solos terrifies me - we'd fall out at least 10 times a day due to our speed difference - so the tandem is the perfect solution. We loved it - chatting away all day.

As other people have said, they can be ferociously quick - especially on the downhills. But they are very slow going uphill - especially towing a trailer - feels pretty humiliating at times crawling up a hill at 6mph.

Try going up front next time - it's very different to riding a normal bike - the sense of responsibility has a real impact on you.

Oh - and getting back on solos after a couple of weeks on the tandem is very odd - my girlfriend had forgotten how to steer a bike and I had forgotten how to look behind me and signal!
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    marcusjb wrote:
    ... but we just did 500 miles through France and I am pleased to say it went very well. The thought of touring again on solos terrifies me - we'd fall out at least 10 times a day due to our speed difference - so the tandem is the perfect solution. We loved it - chatting away all day.

+1 on that. I've been considering one for my wife and I as our normal solo speeds are *ahem* slightly different and have lead to a *ahem* little bit of friction. We rented a tandem a day while on holiday, partly to try it out. Sadly it was a bit of a heavy pig (rental bike, what did I expect?), worlds away from my road bike or even the hybrid.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Lost my tandem virginity last week while on holiday in Italy. Me and my gf went to Luca for a day and rented a tandem to ride on the city wall. Bike was heavy and slow but it was fun trying. Prefer to ride solo though, the both sets of legs moving together was kinda frustating.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :shock:

Mods for the love of sweet baby Jeebuz PLEASE lock this thread and ban all who've admitted to this crime.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • itboffin
    jds_1981 wrote:

FFS

WHY????
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Hmmm, stokers on TT tandems do get a bit of a bum deal, don't they?

IGMC.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sounds Strangely tempting
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Kieran_Burns
    jds_1981 wrote:

Wow. the human centipede... on a bike.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I quite want to have a go on a tandem...
  • itboffin
    I quite want to have a go on a tandem...

What have you done ....

Stokers form an orderly queue :lol:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    you can hire tandems at the manchester velodrome 8)

2 saddles, 1 gear, 0 brakes
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Kieran_Burns
    edhornby wrote:
    you can hire tandems at the manchester velodrome 8)

2 saddles, 1 gear, 0 brakes

no chance

:wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I own a tandem (along with other bikes) and use it to ferry my 11 year old daughter the 4 miles to school (16 miles a day for me). If I had to wait for her to cycle on her own it would take hours.

Although she is only little we have got it up to 37mph heaven knows how fast it would be with another adult.

Pilot and stoker both have their difficulties but getting the timing right and when to stop pedalling is the hardest to learn. Sometimes I want to stop because I see what is up ahead and she tries to keep pedalling. Forward planning is definately the order of the day.

Anyone who wants to try it shold coz' it is great fun!!!

I especially like the return trips when I am on my own. People shout you have lost your passenger but cars give you plenty of space.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    We've got a tandem. We bought a Peugeot steel frame from the 80s for about £90 off of ebay. We have now spent about £250 on it!

TBH it is great in London - you get a lot more room from cars, people always seem to smile when they see one, it is an easy way to make sure my wife and I keep the same pace and don't lose each other at lights.

We've done some touring - did London Bristol on the Cycleway which was "interesting" on some of the rougher grass canal bits and a pain on all the bits where they've put up the anti motorcycle barriers (needing us to take everything off and put it all back on again). Also pootled around Cornwall.

Hills are hard - going up. Hills are very easy - going down.

You can chat to each other on them and they are very social.

You do have to put up with the following comments though:

"Oi, Oi, Oi mate - tandem!" (I know, I bought it, I'm riding it, I'm not stupid).
    "Mate, mate, she's not pedalling!" (actually I really notice if my wife doesn't stoke it on the back - does make a difference!)
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    I can recommend them to any couple. We have had ours for a bit over a year and it is great fun. Keep in mind though that it can be quite unnerving for the stoker at first and due to "once-bitten-twice-shy" if you screw up the first ride you may never take another one together...

As "Captain" you should learn how to start, learn how to stop and remember to call out bumps and front gear changes. On top of that remember that The Stoker is ALWAYS Right and you will have a great time.

As others have noted, on the flat you will go faster than either of you could manage alone. Down hill you will find out why Tandem owners spend so much time talking about brake technology. Up hill depends on a number of factors but the worst case is that you will go up at about the speed that the weaker rider would be able to manage on their own. This might feel very slow to the stronger rider which is probably why Tandems have a reputation for being crap up hill. We do fine on hills and up Ditchling we were happily spinning past guys on road bikes who were looking envious of our granny ring...

The real plus though is that you will be together and can chat and work as a team. If anyone in SE London would ever seriously like to try one out they are more than welcome to drop me a note.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem