Dark Peak Mountain Bike Challenge - Food

Jason3000
Jason3000 Posts: 8
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi

I am doing the Dark Peak Mountain Bike challenge on Saturday and would like some advice on what to eat the evening before the ride and in the morning.

I will be travelling up early in the morning 6.30am ish from the midlands so I would like to prepare something for the journey up so I am all fuelled up for the day ahead etc.

Regards

Jason

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Evening before, a big plate of pasta with bolognese. (personally, I'd also avoid the alcohol 'cos it seems to make me a bit lethargic the following day).

Morning of the ride, decent sized helping of muesli or porridge, & fruit juice, perhaps a coffee (or if you're planning breakfast on the hoof: jam sandwiches - good balance of carbs and what-not). Remember to keep hydrated.

The bhf website mentions there'll be water available at various checkpoints around the routes, but there's no suggestion of food/snacks being provided, so make sure you have stuff to nibble through the day - I favour bananas and malt loaf, & also use Powerbar's or Go bars for long days in the saddle.

The area around Edale is a fantastic place to ride - there's a good mix of technical stuff, bits of faster flowy stuff, gruelling climbs, rocky descents... :)

Plus, the weather forecast for Saturday is good (if a bit windy) ... ok, I know it's only Tuesday and it could all change by the weekend...
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    anything with high carbs ... pasta, jacket potato, night before this should give you a good footing for the day ahead porridge in the morning with bannana and fruit juice when you wake up then throughout the day nibble when your bikeing dont do full meals youl end up with cramps and not work to your full potential never eat proper meals 1.30hrs before you train just extra weight in your stomach and wont be digested enough to turn to energy. anything like... shortbread, flapjack power bars/jell and energy drinks. another key thing is dont start on new bars ect that you havent trained with before this also can cause cramps just from your body not being use to it.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • Thanks for the advice - cheers