glentress 8th - 12th Oct 2010

dovershark
dovershark Posts: 12
edited October 2010 in Routes
Morning all,

I'm off to Glentress on Friday with a few others and as this is my first time wondered if you maybe able to suggest some of the better trails to ride.
Im hoping that its not too wet however this wont stop us. Have you rode when its chucking it down up there before and whats it like?

Adie

Comments

• gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    All the trails are easily rideable nomatter what the weather - ice excepted.
    The only other (possible) exception, depending on skill levels, would be the 'Pie Run' as it is very 'rooty' and hence extremely slippery in the wet otherwise just go and have a blast..

• I hear the black route is not that great and the red is worth riding twice? We have a long weekend so i guess we will try as many as possible (energy permitting)
    I really cant wait however its going to a be long drive from down here in Canterbury!!
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    The Blue is worth a go too. Theres some lovely fast sweeping runs on it.

I only spent about half day there and did Red from bottom car park to the top and back down to Buzzards Nest car park then blue back up and down to bottom car park. Think it was about 3 hours riding.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • The Black is good but a bit exposed if the weather's bad. The red is great, and it's dead easy to mix in some of the blue bits if you grab a trail map when you're there.
    Don't forget Innerleithen is only 5 minutes drive away and is fantastic.
    Depending on how long you have, I'd spend a morning doing the red at Innerleithen, get lunch at Glentress and do the blue routes in the afternoon. Then do the red route at Glentress on the other day.
    Hope this helps
    'Pain is just weakness leaving your body'

Charge Duster SS
    GT Zaskar Carbon Expert
    '03 Stumpy HT
    Ribble Sportive Racing
  • Cheers for the advice, we have 3 full days riding so should fit a few of the trails in.
    Have been on youtube and cant wait to ride the spooky wood.
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    As you have probably already found out for yourself by now the top third of Spooky wood is closed for maintenance and will be for some time.The last part of the black route is also closed for forestry work :cry:
    No problem with essential work being done but I couldn't find any details of these closures on the 7 stanes blog or 7 stanes website when I checked on Friday night unless I am looking in the wrong place?? Would have made different plans if I'd known.
    I felt pi**ed off travelling from Glasgow god knows how you feel.
  • As manofsteel sugests !

Glentress & Innerleithen !

HOWEVER ! nick1962 suggests that spooky wood is closed for maintenence, i,m affraid that would have me delaying my visit to that place as its my favourite bit at Glentress,

It is a long way to go IF when you get there other sections are closed too ?
  • chuckd
    chuckd Posts: 105
    nick1962 wrote:
    As you have probably already found out for yourself by now the top third of Spooky wood is closed for maintenance and will be for some time.The last part of the black route is also closed for forestry work :cry:
    No problem with essential work being done but I couldn't find any details of these closures on the 7 stanes blog or 7 stanes website when I checked on Friday night unless I am looking in the wrong place?? Would have made different plans if I'd known.
    I felt pi**ed off travelling from Glasgow god knows how you feel.

From 7 stanes site:

"Until Fri 29th Oct, the Red Route is closed from post 45 to 51 (Matrix and Lombard St closed). The Black Route is currently closed between post 87 and 52 (upper part of Redemption Climb, Ewok Village, Double X, The Bitch and Wormhole closed). Please follow diversion via Pie Run/Mushroom Pie, rejoining Red/Black Route at start of Magic Mushroom (post 52). "

Was it just those sections that were closed? I'm thinking of heading down tomorrow.
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Top third of Spooky Wood is also closed for maintenance.I saw the sign at the start of Spooky Wood climb and the digger on the actual trail :(
    There is a diversion taking you down the push up path along the push up fire road briefly then a nice bit of single track through the woods before rejoining Spooky Wood but IMHO it's pretty dull in comparison. I did it once then went back up to do the Boundary trail and Deliverance which is always my highlight anyway.Pity the other bits you higlighted are closed too.
    Managed to find it on the 7 stanes website just below your quote:
    .Note also: Trail maintenance work with digger on Spookywood Descent from Tue 5th Oct until end of Oct. Look out for short diversion at the top of Spookywood Descent (rejoins descent approx. 1/3 way down) until mid October. From mid Oct to end Oct look out for digger working on lower sections of Spookywood Descent. Trail will be open but riders will be asked to stop and dismount then walk through worksite when signalled by operator
  • chuckd
    chuckd Posts: 105
    Cheers Nick.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    dovershark wrote:
    I hear the black route is not that great and the red is worth riding twice? We have a long weekend so i guess we will try as many as possible (energy permitting)
    I really cant wait however its going to a be long drive from down here in Canterbury!!

Kinda agree with that the black route can be a bit of an exposed slog if the weather is not so good, did it twice dont think id do it again,doing the red route twice is better day out imo.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !