FYI - Track cycling from Commonwealth games on BBC2 now

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited October 2010 in Pro race
In case anyone is interested. Kilo is on right now

Comments

• Pokerface
    (The downside is that Hugh Porter is commentating)
  • I have a feeling we're going to be able to learn the Australian national anthem by heart at these games.

And the thighs on that Anna Meares - she's only a wee woman but they strike fear into the hearts of mere mortals :o
  • thefonz78
    thefonz78 Posts: 148
    Is it just me. Watching track is boring why don't they do more road? tracks on for 2 days road just 1.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,044
    thefonz78 wrote:
    Is it just me. Watching track is boring why don't they do more road? tracks on for 2 days road just 1.
    Because Britain has a history of success on the track.

It doesn't on the road.

Also - road doesn't lend itself well to slotting in amongst popular sports - and newbies find it quite impenetrable. Track is bloody obvious to work out, and that suits the casual viewer, whome the majority who will be watching it are.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,952
    Track racing makes good viewing - it shouldn't be either / or though, it should be both. However, the road is only on for one day as that is all that's needed to fit the races in - track is multi discipline so spread over more days. Not sure how anyone can class a match sprint as boring though :?
  • thefonz78
    Maybe being a bit harsh. But after watching the world championships over the weekend which were awesome! (well done Pooley, Millar) Todays track stuff has not been as exciting. However nice to see a Medal for wales thanks to Becky James.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    (The downside is that Hugh Porter is commentating)

phill liggit is commentating down here in australia
  • Pross
    Great news, hadn't realised she'd won a medal - she's from my club originally and all her family are still members so that's great news! :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Pross wrote:
    Great news, hadn't realised she'd won a medal - she's from my club originally and all her family are still members so that's great news! :D

And there is a member of her family on this very forum.

Although he's not been around lately.

I hate track cycling. All of it. But then, we all know that by now :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • thefonz78
    She got a Bronze. Only 18 years old one to watch for 2012. Is she from Abergavenny Club?
  • Pross
    Yep, Abergavenny RC although she moved to a pro squad this season. Double junior world champion last season and unlucky at the nationals in that she rides the same events as Vicky P! I think she also stands to lose out on Olympic qualification thanks to the recent rule change that means each country can only send one rider per event
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Saw a bit of the keirin this morning... can't believe the Malaysian got DQed for that gold-medal-winning move in the final! I was under the impression that keirin meant "fight" in Japanese, but you're not allowed to nudge your opponent out of the way to make a gap?
  • Pokerface
    afx237vi wrote:
    Saw a bit of the keirin this morning... can't believe the Malaysian got DQed for that gold-medal-winning move in the final! I was under the impression that keirin meant "fight" in Japanese, but you're not allowed to nudge your opponent out of the way to make a gap?

They used to ride with Samarai swords until the UCI banned them for not complying to the 3:1 rule. 8)
  • Pross
    Big crash for Ross Edgar, terrible bit of riding by the South African who hit the Aussie above him first. Not sure what he was thinking trying to move up the banking when he was surrounded :?
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Thought that was some of the most exciting racing ive seen all seasonhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/commonwealth_games/delhi_2010/9065351.stm
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    When are the road races ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    When are the road races ?

Sunday morning. TTs on Wednesday.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Guaranteed minimum silver for Becky James in the sprint, she 'only' has to beat Meares in the final now :wink:
  • Someone said Anna Meares won a bronze but I would like to tell you that she added a gold medal to the collection of hers. She won the women's 500m time trial in Delhi's Indira Gandhi sports complex at the Commonwealth Games. It was the opening night of competition at New Delhi and the Australians start with 3 gold medals which also includes Anna, who is just 27 by now.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    anyone knowwhat time the mens and womens road races are on tv this weekend?
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    JesseD wrote:

Rough times, obviously (British time)

Sunday October 10
    04.30-07.45 - Women - 112km road race
    08.30-13.00 - Men - 168km road race

Wednesday October 13
    06.00-07.20 - Women - 29km individual time trial
    08.30-10.45 - Men - 40km individual time trial
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ss753
    ss753 Posts: 3
    thefonz78 wrote:
    Because Britain has a history of success on the track.

It doesn't on the road.

Also - road doesn't lend itself well to slotting in amongst popular sports - and newbies find it quite impenetrable. Track is bloody obvious to work out, and that suits the casual viewer, whome the majority who will be watching it are.

Same reason there's so much snooker on TV. Fixed camera positions for a week, no police outriders, closed roads, helicopters, mobile cameras, Director gets to stay in the same nice hotel every night etc - i.e. ease of coverage and simple economics and TV budgets. I love watching pro road racing, and it's a shame the terrestial TV stations don't buy in more continenental road racing: the Classics would be fantastic to watch, but other than Cav, when was the last time a Brit won a Classic?
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    RichN95 wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

Rough times, obviously (British time)

Sunday October 10
    04.30-07.45 - Women - 112km road race
    08.30-13.00 - Men - 168km road race

Wednesday October 13
    06.00-07.20 - Women - 29km individual time trial
    08.30-10.45 - Men - 40km individual time trial

Cheers RichN95, I'm looking forward to a welsh win!!!!!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • afx237vi
    Anyone got a startlist for the road races? The only people I know who are there are Hunter and Impey, only 'cos I follow them on Twitter. And Cavendish obviously. Other than that, not a clue.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think someone on twitter said it might come down to a sprint between Cav and Allan Davis so Alby is there as well.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Anyone got a startlist for the road races? The only people I know who are there are Hunter and Impey, only 'cos I follow them on Twitter. And Cavendish obviously. Other than that, not a clue.

There are links to PDF start lists here:

http://results.cwgdelhi2010.org/en/Comp ... dAll=False
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

There are links to PDF start lists here:

http://results.cwgdelhi2010.org/en/Comp ... dAll=False

Aha, thanks. Even if it is pancake flat, surely it won't come down to a sprint... at least not a normal sprint anyway. The difference in class between the top riders and the rest is absolutely enormous.