How many of us wear gloves to commute and why?

2»

Comments

• rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Full finger all year round, mostly because I have a pair of full finger gloves that are very cool, even in summer. I don't recall a bad off when they would have really helped, but wear them out of habit.
  • I use short-fingered generally, for protection, padding and warmth. Long fingered when its cold, bare hands if its hot.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Every time, I feel naked without them. Short or long depending on temperature.

I mostly don't wear a helmet (at least not while commuting) but I always put on my gloves.
    Misguided Idealist
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Short finger every day as a matter of course (long fingered if it is very cold). Reasons:

1) Comfort
    2) Snot wiping capabilities
    3) Warmth
    4) Have a white on blue background so more noticeable for indicating
    5) If you off, it is an instinctive reaction to use your hands to stop yourself. Gloves would mitigate against some road rash.
  • Short-fingered for comfort and sweat wiping. It feels wrong riding without them.
  • I always wear gloves for protection and for some reason this year I just wore my long finger gloves all through summer. They stink.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I used to get numbness in my little fingers after about 45 minutes on the bike, but when I asked around and found out the cause (reduced blood supply to ulnar nerve) I started using short fingered Specialized Body Geometry gloves.I can ride all day without any problems now.
    I also wear them for protection (just in case).
    When its really cold I wear baseball batting gloves under my larger mitts (I have them in different sizes). I don't feel the need for winter gloves (famous last words) so the double gloving works fine.

Wearing gloves is part of my routine and it feels weird not having them on.
    My routine is getting annoyingly long though. Gloves, SPD-SLs (probably meaning I need to carry shoes to walk in if I'll be off my bike for any length of time), I wear clear safety glasses at night/overcast weather and smoked ones in bright weather as well as prescription glasses when I'm off my bike (so a possible 3 sets of eyewear) and a helmet (always). Too much stuff but I see it all as essential (see the "Once bitten, twice shy" thread in Chat for reasons for all the stuff).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The last time I forgot my gloves I came off and skinned three knuckles. So yeah, matter of course, for protection, warmth & comfort, sawn off if it's warm enough, full if it's not, layered if necessary.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Kazz_uk
    Kazz_uk Posts: 73
    Long in winter / colder days, short in the warmer weather. Mainly for grip and protection just in case I decide to introduce my palm skin to the tarmac.
    Cycling Newbie
    I reserve the right to ask dumb questions :)
  • I'm another one that no longer feels right clycling without gloves; short-fingered for commuting on the road bike, full fingered on my MTB; in winter it's my Sealsinz gloves for both (I particularly prone to frozen digits when it's bitterly cold)
  • Just bought myself some Sealskinz - seem good. I hope I'll still be saying that in January when it's freezing cold!
  • answered in cake stop
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Used to wear mitts in summer and gloves in winter, but this year I've just been covering my hands for warmth.

Not sure why I've changed really, I think it was mainly the fact that I went on a training camp and forgot my mitts and haven't really worried about them since. Plus the lack of tan lines looks much better :lol:
  • full finger all year, lightweight (eg 661 Rajis) in the Summer, heavier in the Autumn/Spring and heavyweight/waterproof in the Winter.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    tomb353 wrote:
    i'm in newcastle, its october......... course i'm wearing f'ing glove ones a week or so ago).
    Howay man, it's not that cold yet![/list]
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I wear full finger gloves most rides unless it is warm. Specialized do very comfortable ones.
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • howie3472
    howie3472 Posts: 110
    I wear short finger gloves most of the time but will wear full finger gloves when the weather is cold.
    I also do not like riding with out gloves far to uncomftable.
    Trek 1.2
    FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    Always...full finger when cold, short when not.
    +1

Sweaty hands on handlebars does not feel nice and makes my hands slip.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Uchiga
    Uchiga Posts: 230
    Short fingered, road and off road during summer and commuting
    Long finger XC gloves for off road muddy conditions on road wet conditions during summer
    Long Thick finger gloves during the winter when commuting and when off road cycling though cant feel the gears when i wear them...
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    Like most other people, I always wear gloves, for padding = comfort, and protection in case of a fall.

Short fingerless most of the time, full finger when it's cold. In the coldest weather, I have some silk glove liners, which help keep warm.

Never realised my hands sweated. Worst gloves are those full finger which allow the inner liner to come back down the finger, and then make it impossible to put back on.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • I wear pink marigolds pureley for comedic effect, plus they keep out the rain!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Always...full finger when cold, short when not.

Me too.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    nwallace wrote:
    Not wearing gloves is like not wearing a seat belt, bloody uncomfortable.

How is not wearing a seatbelt uncomfortable? :?: :?: :?: :?:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    I always wear gloves - the grips on my bike don't do the skin on my hands any favours :? Short fingered in the summer and long fingered in the winter as with most people on this thread :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    spen666 wrote:
    nwallace wrote:

If I get in a car it feels uncomfortable with the seatbelt off, or at least feels 'wrong'. (that is I am uncomfortable, not necesarily that the seatbelt is physically more comfortable than without it).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    spen666 wrote:
    nwallace wrote:

If I get in a car it feels uncomfortable with the seatbelt off, or at least feels 'wrong'. (that is I am uncomfortable, not necesarily that the seatbelt is physically more comfortable than without it).

Simon

Agree completely, it just doesn't feel right not wearing a seatbelt.

Not quite as bad with gloves - I generally always wear mitts in warmer weather for comfort (>10 degrees) and full finger gloves in winter because my hands freeze - in the recent sub-zero temps I was wearing ski-glove type Altura with liners. The rest of me was fine, I was still wearing 3/4 shorts, but my hands really suffer in the cold.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    bigbelly wrote:
    edhornby wrote:
    I think your options need a rethink - I wear short finger in the summer and long finger in the winter (went for short finger because I wear them more than the winter gloves)

reason being that it's more comfortable and also road rash protection in the event of an accident. Also motorists see the bright coloured glove on the end of a hand when signalling

I was (for a short while) thinking of that but realised the poll would be very long indeed to cover winter / summer questions. I have left it to you guys as I reckon you will vote for whatever you instinctively use the most.

Thanks for the comments though.. the reasons why you wear them are the very points that I wear mine too.

If the methodology behind your poll is this flawed then any results are going to be more or less worthless. If I were your boss/tutor this would be quickly obvious so I'd start a fresh poll.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Are "commuting gloves" like "cycling gloves"?
    Or can I wear them on the tube too?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    biondino wrote:
    bigbelly wrote:
    edhornby wrote:
    I think your options need a rethink - I wear short finger in the summer and long finger in the winter (went for short finger because I wear them more than the winter gloves)

reason being that it's more comfortable and also road rash protection in the event of an accident. Also motorists see the bright coloured glove on the end of a hand when signalling

I was (for a short while) thinking of that but realised the poll would be very long indeed to cover winter / summer questions. I have left it to you guys as I reckon you will vote for whatever you instinctively use the most.

Thanks for the comments though.. the reasons why you wear them are the very points that I wear mine too.

If the methodology behind your poll is this flawed then any results are going to be more or less worthless. If I were your boss/tutor this would be quickly obvious so I'd start a fresh poll.

He may not care, since he originally asked the question in October; someone has been raising threads from the dead.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX