Tyre Advice

Hot Orange
Hot Orange Posts: 157
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Right, so my last three commutes have been ruined by the PF, and I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe the slicks that I've done 3,000 miles on now are not suitable for the bumpy, crap-covered back country roads I ride on.

So, I'm looking for new tyres that can handle the winter and have a degree of puncture resistance that will enable them to cope a little better with the rubbish on the roads.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus looks a decent bet but I'm a bit of a wuss and am slightly disturbed by comments about the extra weight.

Any advice on any other suitable tyres? Cheers.
Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Gatorskins/GP4000
    Michelin Krylion Carbon
    Armadillos (possibly also fairly heavy)
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Schwalbe Durano Plus

Depends on what tyre width you are looking for.

And on Schwalbe Marathon Plus, the are only fractionally slower due to the weight. This time is more than made up from not having to repair a p*ncture at the side of a road
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Suspect your tyres might be at end of their life if they've done that mileage. Which tyres do you use at the moment?

What size do you need? If you've got 700s, I use Schwalbe Durano Pluses. I love them (on my second pair), but essex-commuter has had a recent bad experience with them.

Wouldn't worry about weight - this is commuting, and s'all good training. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got Durano S on one bike and Durano Plus on the other. Between them I've had one visit in the last 10 months (unfortunately that was in transition 1 on my last triathlon of all places). Tyre choice is different for everyone and for everyone who tells you tyre x is great someone else will tell you that it's rubbish.

I'm currently liking Schwalbe Durano though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Many thanks for the tips, people.

I'm on some Maxxis something or other 26 x 1.5s at the moment. They're very old and begging to be disposed of, I think.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Ah, MTB tyres:
    I've had a set of Specialized Nimbus Armadillos on for years, and after an early spate of PF visits they've been relatively trouble-free (cue unscheduled deflation in the shed as I type).
    Misguided Idealist
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I'm on Maxxis Xenith 1.5's and get along with them very well. They're light, zippy and cushy all at the same time.

I've had no puncture problems on London's fairly smooth roads (aside from one which was 100% due to user error.) However, the tyres are still relatively new - maybe 1000miles.

Yours sound like they're worn out. But at 3000 miles on rough roads , they've had a good life.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Armadillos.

Marathon Plus available in that size? I think it was Asprilla who described them as "half tyre, half nuclear bunker"
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    Armadillos.

Marathon Plus available in that size? I think it was Asprilla who described them as "half tyre, half nuclear bunker"

Four years on the station hack and no visits. Mind, they don't get much mileage these days.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Definitely marathon plus or if you`re on tight budget schwalbe city jets
  • Thanks for all the advice, everybody.

On closer inspection of the wheels today, I have Alex Rims DM18s, size 559 x 18. Any idea what range of tyre sizes would be a good fit? Cheers.
  • BDFun
    BDFun Posts: 67
    I am still using my Bontrager All Weather tyres for my Trek 1.2, but I bought some Michelin Krylion tyres as they seem pretty highly regarded.