Chainstay protectors.Anyone use them on road bikes?

janwal
janwal Posts: 489
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Have always used Lizard skin chainstay proctectors on my MTB bikes.Have just got a nice shiny new Scott CR1 team with carbon chainstays.Can you get narrower protectors for road frames or are they generally not required as you don't get the same chain slap?
If you can get them ,any recommendations much appreciated.A nice carbon effect one would look good against the white frame!

Comments

• do you mean one of these?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/m-p ... 20EMIRATES

or (because Chain reaction give better service IMO)
    one of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47477
  • this would be better, no glue or stickiness to worry www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/chi ... r-ec018145

without the charge logo of course but that sort of thing
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Buy some helicopter tape from ebay for a few quid and cut to size. Its virtually invisible and you can use it to protect for cable rub on the frame and shoe rub on the cranks as well.
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    this would be better, no glue or stickiness to worry www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/chi ... r-ec018145

Fine for an mtb, but would look absurd on a CR1.
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    amaferanga wrote:
    this would be better, no glue or stickiness to worry www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/chi ... r-ec018145

Fine for an mtb, but would look absurd on a CR1.

If you saw it on the bike i'm sure you'd have to look twice to make sure your eyes weren't deceiving you :shock:
    I like white bikes
  • PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Halfords sells a set including an almost invisible chainstay protector + cable/frame protectors for about £6 I believe.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    PieterM wrote:
    Halfords sells a set including an almost invisible chainstay protector + cable/frame protectors for about £6 I believe.

£5. Bought one last week. However the edges of the chainstay guard are not staying down :( cleaned the guard before placing the protector
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • amaferanga
    £5 or less for 1 metre of helicopter tape that will do 3 or 4 bikes and since its thinner than the chainstay protectors like the Halfords one you'll have no problems getting it to stick properly to the chainstay.
  • Just out of interest, my CR1 Pro 2006 already had chainstay protector on it.

It was quite hard to see, and I only noticed it as I was about to stick on a Lizard Skins protector.

I know, I know, get some glasses ! :shock:
    "There are no hills, there is no wind, I feel no pain !"

"A bad day on the bike is always better than a good day in the office !"
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I got a Lizard Skins set of clear, stick-on chainstay/cable-rub protectors. Pretty cheap and has been on the bike for nearly a year without any problems (i.e. not peeling off or looking tatty).

Would defo recommend.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My chainstays seem to have a shiny layer of something protective on them. Paint, I think it's called.

(Mind you, it got a few chunks taken out of it when I cackhandedly let the end of the chain slip out of my fingers after splitting it)
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I've always used these - very thin, can't even see them when they're on:
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/6 ... Clear.html

There is a thin carbon version as well.