A Visit from the NBF

SamWise1972
SamWise1972 Posts: 220
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Yep, the New Bike Fairy delivered my Brompton. This morning, it made life on the train much easier compared to my 20" folder, and getting into the hotel MUCH easier. The T bag carried all I needed with ease, and even carried my insulated coffee cup, so I could finally get a mocha from the station to the clients venue. Ride was nice, but riding from Euston to Waterloo tomorrow night will allow me two of my favourite sprints, the south end of Kingsway, and the Waterloo Bridge; then I'll know if I'm still fast on it. I went for the Schwalbe Kojak tyres, so fingers crossed for SCR.......

39575_472473331825_555806825_6479386_6146505_n.jpg
64867_473218546825_555806825_6499290_663492_n.jpg
59599_473352401825_555806825_6501885_2245439_n.jpg

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Can I just ask, and I don't mean this to come across in any way as offensive, but WTF is up with those handle bars? I've seen them around a bit and I keep getting flashbacks to bike machines in the gym. Is it for handlebar height or comfort or something else?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Both. You've got the tops, which is basically the same as the standard bar, and then the lower position for more aero, plus multiple positions for comfort. I'm trying to figure a way to put brake levers on the bottom, using interruptor levers, but it would require replacing the main levers with bar-end mounting ones, and ever then, the angle of the lower bits might be an issue. Still, it's an idea I've got; fast descents and sprints in the city really require brakes.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    hmm, I do love the idea of a coffee cup holder on a bike.
  • Me too. I just need a cup that doesn't leak, now! It was useable as was, but the delicious liquid pooling in the top took my concentration off the road a bit......
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Phew, I saw NBF and thought of the 'No Brake Fairy', was concerned you'd careered into a tree or similar
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Me too. I just need a cup that doesn't leak, now! It was useable as was, but the delicious liquid pooling in the top took my concentration off the road a bit......

I have one exactly the same, and it leaks badly enough in a car, never mind on a bike......

.....and I have to echo the WTF over the handle bars :wink: how do they modify your FCN?
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Theoretically they make me faster, but we'll see whether I'm brave enough to gon onto them (and away from the brake levers) on the Kingsawy Sprint tonight!. Of course, that's not really how FCN works, so I guess it depends whether people think It makes me look faster, or just geekier. Since I started SCRing, I realized I can never shave my beard off!

On the other matter, there are so many fairies around now that it becomes confusing.......
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Both. You've got the tops, which is basically the same as the standard bar, and then the lower position for more aero, plus multiple positions for comfort. I'm trying to figure a way to put brake levers on the bottom, using interruptor levers, but it would require replacing the main levers with bar-end mounting ones, and ever then, the angle of the lower bits might be an issue. Still, it's an idea I've got; fast descents and sprints in the city really require brakes.
    You could try moving the front brake lever onto the "drop" position and leaving the rear on the tops.
  • I want a brompton.

I wish I had an excuse to buy one.

I'm jealous.

:cry:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Perfect for that after work pint that ends up being pints (several). No need to wobble home under the influence, and no need to leave it locked to a lamp post outside a pub. That a good enough excuse?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I hadn't thought an excuse was needed to buy another bike. As long as you can find the space/money, you can have another one :)

Also thinking about a Brompton for next year's cyclescheme.