Sealskinz socks

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Does anybody wear these? I`m thinking of trying a pair as I`m a postman and sick of my poor old feet getting wet everyday. Thought I`d see what other people thought before I waste 20 quid on a glorified plastic bag

Comments

• dugliss wrote:
    Does anybody wear these? I`m thinking of trying a pair as I`m a postman and sick of my poor old feet getting wet everyday. Thought I`d see what other people thought before I waste 20 quid on a glorified plastic bag

Dogs cahones as far as I am concerned. Shoes can be wet as but feet inside are dry. I've got 3 pairs.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I've got em, and love em, great for cold mornings, and mostly stop your feet getting wet.

The only problem is that they have one very big hole in them, and in torrential rain the water runs down your leg....then they start being like a wetsuit which warms the water up.

Even so, I really like mine
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Always approached it from the other direction - keeping my shoes dry rather than my feet and use overshoes.

Perhaps not so useful for you as a postie though 'cos I guess there's a lot of walking involved too - and overshoes aren't too fond of an awful lot of that.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    +1 from me too. got a pair at the end of last year to try them out and was pleased with the result. Will be getting a few more for this winter.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Ok thanks, sounds worth a try then. What ones have you all got as it appears they vary in thickness over the various models
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    dugliss wrote:
    Ok thanks, sounds worth a try then. What ones have you all got as it appears they vary in thickness over the various models

I went for the merino wool ones:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SealSkinz_Mid_Thermal_Merino_Waterproof_Socks/5300005319/

Mmmmm, warm toasty feet

Like cycling in slippers! :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • plosty
    plosty Posts: 3
    I got the merino ones as well, like the poster above said if you get water into them then they squelch a fair bit as there's no way for the water to get out; had to empty half a pint out of each when i got home on friday! ordered some overshoes as well so hopefully won't get this again. great if you're sure you can stop the water running down your legs though.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Didn't work for me at all.

Wet weather => Water runs down legs, collects in socks, soaking wet feet
    Dry weather => Feet sweat, sweat can't escape, nasty wet feet

The wetsuit analogy is a good one; feet were definitely warmer, but wasn't worth having permanently wet feet. I splashed out for a pair of proper winter boots, which are brill. Since they only get used for half the year, and the summer ones now also get used for just half the year, they last twice as long; long-term cost is the same as having a single pair...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    They work best with waterproof over-trousers so you dont get the water running inside.
    Mine lasted about 3 years before they failed which is not too bad. On a recent tour to cold, rainy Norway I ended up with damp feet for the final week, complete with early-stage trenchfoot. I'll be getting another pair.

I think it's more sensible to keep water out but that needs rainproof boots and as far as I know, no-one makes anything sensible for cycling. You either get arctic-winter grade insulation, neoprene sporty keep wet but warm.

The ideal temperate rain-proof commuter boot would have a large rubber rand, waterproof shoe with an unpadded high gaiter-style boot part. You dont need ankle support or padding to "protect your ankles for hitting the crank". You need something high enough so rainpants can overhang and drain outside the boot.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have 2 pairs and they both have lasted quite well, however, now that the membrane is separating from the wooly stuff, they are not as waterproof.

I also have a pair of the goretex waterproof socks, which are quite thin in comparison. Need thin socks underneath for warmth.....but I prefer the gores.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I use them, they are pretty good, generally keep your feet warm and dry. Best with long trousers if it's really peeing down as water can otherwise run down your legs and into the tops

Don't do what my mate Keef did once. These sealskinz are rubbish; he kept on going on about it all ride. Turns out he had them on inside out so they were actively sucking water into the sock rather than keeping it out! :lol:
    FCN = 4
  • they are the reason i could cycle in sub zero temps last winter as they kept my feet toasty... downside is that they are so thick that they caused severe damage to my pinky toes from the shoe rubbing... so suggest you consider cutting holes in the bottom and wearing as overshoes.

i don't think any product can truly hold up to the english rain, but these are a good start.
  • I've got a pair and like them as they keep my feet warm even if it is torrential rain and they get very wet inside & out. agree they don't keep the rain out but then I do cycle pretty much year round in shorts and there are 2 rather large holes in the top of them :lol:
    toasty wet feet are much better than cold wet feet IMO.
  • I've got a pair and the do the job well, feet still dry after 3 years and you don't have to put up with that putting on damp socks feel at the end of the day. getting to the end of their time now, the wooly overskin is starting to go.

I don't like the feel of them tho, it's like having thick plastic growbags on your feet.