Oversized Handlebar Ends ???

Gav2000
Gav2000 Posts: 408
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
My new bike (Felt Curbside) has oversized handlebars (31.8mm all the way along). Is it possible to get a set of bar ends for handlebars that are so big? If so, where from?

If not is it possible to get replacement handlebars have a bend (TT type / bull horn type) that are 31.8mm all the way along? I want to retain the 31.8mm diameter if possible as (i) I like the large diameter and (ii) the brake levers currently fit to the 31.8mm bar and I'm keen to avoid replacement.

Gav.
Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
You'll hear about him ever'where you go.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I don't know their diameter, but Halfords do some bar ends that look pretty fat to me. They are quite clever as they also contain tools and a p*ncture kit.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I don't know their diameter, but Halfords do some bar ends that look pretty fat to me. They are quite clever as they also contain tools and a p*ncture kit.

i interpreted the op as asking whether you could get bar ends with a 31.8mm clamp, not the actual ends being 31.8.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

i interpreted the op as asking whether you could get bar ends with a 31.8mm clamp, not the actual ends being 31.8.

Good point. I don't think I can help then.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • PBo
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Good point. I don't think I can help then.

Well. maybe the ends need to be 31.8 too, but obv. they need to clamp to 31.8 bars anyway.

Might need a lot of trawling through websites to find one.....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    on the curbside the bars are OS the entire length, no idea where you'll find bar ends to fit that!

Best bet would be to make your own or use some old stems.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    How're you getting on with the curbside by the way? Just ordered one from Wiggle for the good lady and eagerly awaiting delivery.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gav2000
    SimonAH wrote:
    How're you getting on with the curbside by the way? Just ordered one from Wiggle for the good lady and eagerly awaiting delivery.

Just to confirm, I was looking for bars end with 31.8mm clamps, they don't seem to exist.

The Curbside is very good though (got mine in the Wiggle sale as well), only a couple of rides so far but covered 25 miles on Sunday which felt to be quite easy (despite the wind) and was covered at an average of over 17mph. I think the sizing is quite small though, I got a 61cm frame and am 6' 3", my road bike is only 58cm but has almost exactly the same geometry. You do need to get some M5 bolts though as the 4 holes in the rear stays (for a rack I assume) don't have any bolts in.

My only issue was the handlebars as I need more than 1 hand position to avoid aches. I am considering changing the bars to some low profile / tt type bars if (i) I can find some oversized ones in white or chrome and (ii) the oversized centre section is long enough to fit the brakes as well as stem. If anyone has any suggestions there I'd like to know.

Gav.
    Gav2000

• SimonAH
    Thanks Gav, although the sizing aspect does worry me. Torn between 51 and 54 for the boss and went for 51 - still, Wiggle are very good at exchanges normally.

Plenty of cap head stainless and ally bolts in the garage fortunately so shouldn't be an issue.

Did you consign the nut buffer on the top tube to the bin? Only thing aesthetically letting down the machine IMO.

• SimonAH
    Have you checked out motorcycle bar ends? Wouldn't swear to it but I think the diameter is the same as OS bicycle ends - could give you a clamp basis for fitting T pieces. If you want I'll take the callipers to my 'bike ends and measure them up.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Gav2000
    there none, yet, that clamp externally. maybe have a look at some that expand into the bar bore. add some shims and you could have a solution.

PS dont expect to find any grips either.

and MC bars are the same diameter as the normal flat bar grip area. 7/8" (22,2mm).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gav2000
    SimonAH wrote:
    Thanks Gav, although the sizing aspect does worry me. Torn between 51 and 54 for the boss and went for 51 - still, Wiggle are very good at exchanges normally.

Plenty of cap head stainless and ally bolts in the garage fortunately so shouldn't be an issue.

Did you consign the nut buffer on the top tube to the bin? Only thing aesthetically letting down the machine IMO.

I still have the top tube protector thing but won't be using it.

There was also 1 strip of vinyl with poppers at the end that I think is meant to attach around the hub and keep it clean as the wheel spins. I can see the benefit of this as cleaning the hubs is a chore but why only include 1, I guess it's a style over usefullness thing.

I browsed eBay last night and saw quick a few low cost oversized drop bars that were chrome/alloy coloured. I may buy a pair, flip them over and cut them off to make my own bullhorn type bars. They looked to have enough room for the brakes on the oversized section as well.

I shall be out on the bike this weekend so will see what my maximum speed downhill while riding it fixed is, I got to about 26mph last weekend but was bouncing on the saddle quite a lot (it's not the best saddle to bounce on either).
    Gav2000

• PBo
    champion the wonder horse........
  • Gav2000
    PBo wrote:
    champion the wonder horse........

Yes, that's right. I can't think why I used that, it must have popped into my mind a couple of years ago.

On the bike front I did 25 miles on Saturday and 30 miles on Sunday on my Curbside. Both days I did sections that I normally use my small ring for on my roadbike but it wasn't that hard on the single speed fixed at all. I also averaged over 17mph both days which felt quite good (for me) given that it was quite windy.

On the handlebar front I ordered some white On One Midge bars last night, only £15 in their sale. They should give me a few hand positions and I'm interested to know how usable the flared drops are. If they work well I'll keep them, if I don't like them I'll flip them over and chop them off to make flared bullhorn bars.
    Gav2000

• Gav2000
    Thanks to very quick delivery by On One I now have the Midge bars. They were ordered on Monday evening and are now fitted to my bike. The seem very good, the brakes transferred and fitted to the oversized section very easily and I now have 3 hand positions on the bars. I will get some bar tape shortly and have the bike ready to ride by the weekend. The Midge bars (in white) were only £15 inc. postage which is a real bargain.
    Gav2000